Would you rather have $1m or a time machine?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by MyCatWillMissMe, Jun 18, 2016.

1. MyCatWillMissMe

MyCatWillMissMe Well-Known Member

Just curious how people feel about this.

One million dollars or a one-time-use time machine.

You can go back as far as you want; 5 years old, 20 years old, or last week.

You will know everything about your own life that you know right now.

The time machine cannot be used for monetary gains or to change the world (i.e. you can't use last month's powerball numbers, you can't warn people about 9/11 or an earthquake or a brain tumor or a heart attack)

The time machine is only to potentially change your own life from a specific time and place in your lifetime based on choices you made that you want to be different (school, work, relationships, car purchases, etc)

Or no time machine and have $1m cash in your room right now.
  2. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

For me, I would rather have $1 m cash . It is not because I like money more . It is because I don't want to go back in time. My present life is better compared to my early life. My early life is much worse. Moreover, $1m can be used to start a new beginning. However, I would like to have the time machine if it can make me go somewhere a nice place where there is no suffering and pain.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'd take the 1million and run lol I really do not wanna go back in time, too much abuse, so many regrets, yup i'll take the cash :)
  4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

$1mil in cash. There are some very specific elements of my life that I would not be prepared to lose, and I would not have those things (specifically, those people) if I went back to being 18 to change the crappy decisions I made. Tempting as it is, and amazing as that might be, the people I would erase by doing it are more important to me than the bad consequences of the mistakes I made.
  5. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

The cash. The last thing I would want is to try and live this life again.
  6. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

$1 million. Not worth turning that down and risking going back in time, and it probably won't have a significant effect on the shittiness of my life. I wouldn't want to relive that bullshit anyway. With $1 million I can definitely get somewhere. I could further ascend myself from rock-bottom. The past is something that I want to eventually come to terms with, and $1 million is something I can accept with far less risks, so to throw that away and go back in time to try to change something without much knowledge of the likely consequences would be against my better judgement. I'd just take the $1m and move onward.
  7. MyCatWillMissMe

MyCatWillMissMe Well-Known Member

Interesting how everybody would rather take the money. For me it's kind of 50/50. I guess you guys don't have any major regrets.
  8. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

A million because there is a chance I could fuck things up worse than they are if I go back in time. I don't want to take that chance.
  9. Deety

Deety Well-Known Member

I would take the money. If not for my children I would probably go back in time instead. Hard to imagine losing the other people in my life who I wouldn't meet if I went back and changed the course of my life though.
  10. Odd_Panda24

Odd_Panda24 Member

I'd want the money, I could pay for the school I want and get lots of books and merchandises :eek::rolleyes: endless possibilities! There are things I do regret about my past, but if I tried to change my choice I made then, I might actually make things worse for myself, so money is better :D
  11. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

interesting.. i thought for sure everyone'd want time. xD.
    i pick money too.. not worth going down those roads again.. i dont know what id do with it though..
  12. money. The past was a wreck and life still is a wreck.