Would you say it's wrong to turn someone down because they smokes?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by boo, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

With society nowadays it is frown upon to smoke. In fact, its cool to hate the smokers. Some people will downright look at me as if i just killed their puppy. Not only are the smokers being alienated, but they are made outcast. I was totally rob of my rights to have smoke breaks when i was at the mental ward. Would you say it's wrong to turn someone down because they smokes? How about if your partner smoke? Do you put up with it or is it a good enough reason to break up?
  2. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

As a non-smoker, I wouldn't break up with someone if they were a smoker, so long as they didn't smoke near me. Of course I would try to help them quit because I would care too much to just watch them do that to themselves; but ultimately that's up to them.
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I'm actually allergic to the smoke so...but my mom is a smoker so when she comes over, she goes downstairs in the smoking room to smoke. When I go over, she goes to the kitchen to smoke.

I want to say that I'm all for smoking sections, I believe they should have rights. Like smoking breaks, and stuff...but to be honest, I dont think I would date a smoker, I would keep sneezing, and sneezing and my eyes get red and I have trouble breathing...so for me I need to be in a smoke free environment...doesnt mean that smokers dont have rights to have their own space...

also in canada theirs a law that forces smokers who go to clubs to smoke outside or in a proper place, and I have to agree with it because I like to go dancing and I used to think twice because of the smoking issue....
  4. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

No, it's not wrong. Everybody has their preferences.

And I wouldn't pursue someone who is a nicotine addict. Accommodating someone who has to exit the house, or theater, or wherever he may be would get on my nerves. One is a slave to a substance and that's unattractive. Not to mention it is a health hazard.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  5. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

My partner is a smoker and it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't turn someone down because they smoke but I'm not going to say it's wrong to. Everyone has their own opinion.
  6. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

I hate smoking, personally. If they want to do it, fine, I'm not one to judge, away from me is nice, though. I hate the smell, I hate the effects of it, and quite honestly I don't even see the point of it.
  7. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

It's definitely a turn-off, I mean it kinda only has negative effects, but I'm all for smoker's rights.

Just as long as they aren't doing something stupid like smoking with their kids in the car.
  8. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

i quit smoke 6 months ago .... it would be hard for me to date someone that smokes right now cause I wouldnt want to sart up again and I hate the smell of cigs...i wouldnt date someone who smoked ...welll for very long i think
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

As much as I'd LOVE to inhale the shit that comes out of cigarettes, I'd REALLY rather not date, or even stand near, someone who smokes. (And cigarette breaks are a privilege, not a right.)
  10. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, so if I dated someone who smoked, we'd have to find a way to compromise. I wouldn't try to force someone to quit (although I'd support and encourage my partner if he wanted to quit), but we'd have to work something out so that he had a separate place to smoke.
  11. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

My wife made it a part of the deal that if I was to come back home I would have to give up smoking. I tried and was successful for several months but then something happened and I am smoking again. But...she hasnt kicked me out....

At least I am not drinking! lol
  12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh, and electric cigarettes should remove any remaining excuses for smoking tobacco. I don't know if they're quite the same experience, but it should be close enough given the other benefits.
  13. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I never have nor I ever will go with a smoker, its a disgusting habit and I feel repulsed when in the company of smokers.
  14. I need help

I need help Well-Known Member

I'd rather not date a smoker..only because smoking is a health hazard! I think cigarettes are evil!..and i wouldnt be able to be with someone who's slowly killing himslf!...but that's just my opinion....
  15. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

You do know it's an addiction right? And you do know that for many smokers quitting, is harder than quitting herion for drug users?
  16. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Once upon a time smoking was such the in thing to do. Then, in the 60's the information that smoking was harmful started gaining momentum. Once glamorized, now villainized, the addicted smoker is caught up in this.

The tobacco companies have done all they can to keep people addicted. All for their pocket book. Now the US government is taxing smokers at a rate of 300% for tobacco.

I've been quit for 66 days now because of the tax. Obviously, it's best for me to stay away from tobacco use but I will not villainize people who smoke.
  17. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

...My bf lied about smoking for the first 3 years of our relationship. When I found out- I supported him while he tried to quit.
    It's nothing to lie about... it's fairly common and apparently it's difficult to stop once you've started.

The smell can be... a big turn off...
    One can get used to it-or try to help them quit; but I don't think it's right to end a relationship just because of that.

I'm the only person I know who hasn't ever tried a cigarette- or anything else before. I *have* been inhaling secondhand smoke since I was in the womb though...
  18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

19. friendless

friendless Well-Known Member

It depends on how much you need another person in your life.

I don't really smoke (sometimes I smoke a hookah but rarely), but my husband smokes daily. I decided that I loved him more than the smell of the smoke.
  20. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

For how often I buy them and smoke, ecigs are not price applicable to me at this time.

They are extremely expensive from what I understand. Once the price goes down to a reasonable cost, I would consider it.

But then again for me, it's not anything more than a nicotine addiction.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.