Would you say you people are helped by others on this forum?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by eagles_fan, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagles_fan

eagles_fan Well-Known Member

Whenever I read a good, well-intended message that's supposed to make me feel better, frankly, I end up feeling better. I feel good whenever someone helps me and that feeling makes me want to help others. It's the feel-good-do-good phenomenon and it's why the human race can be so beautiful and gorgeous (when we want to be, rather than rude, murderous, self-centered, and apathetic). We should want to help others and make them feel good about themselves.

What I want to know is, are you comforted and helped by what people on this forum tell you? Do you find this kind of thing really helps against all of the depression? To what extent does it help?

Thanks for the replies in advance.
  2. xXxSomeonexXx

xXxSomeonexXx Active Member

i think this forum is very helpful. One night (a month ago) i was feeling really suicidal and i had a dagger and pills right next to me. I wanted to kill myself THAT night, and i just posted a thread about it and someone (right away) talked to me until i got through it. At 5 AM. I'd probably be dead if it weren't for the people here.
  3. NathanH

NathanH Well-Known Member

I'm quite paranoid and an avid skeptic, so I was unsure of how much just writing things down and getting some feedback would assist me. In my paranoid I was sure I wouldn't be able to take anything seriously and assume I was just being given what I wanted to hear. Either which way, I did find meaning in what was being said on the forum and in chat; it really helped me calm down when I needed to. I've never been able to talk about it anywhere else, ever, so having that open ability to talk was really releasing, if you will. I've also warmed up more to the idea of seeking professional help and asking for it, which could have a plethora of benefits in itself.

So yes, I do feel in ways helped.
  4. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Just knowing that this place exists helps.
  5. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

not really, but then again i didnt really come here seeking help
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah I think so, since I feel better since I've joined this site.
  7. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

I've been feeling a little better since I've joined this site 9 days ago or so.
  8. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Coming here has definitely seen me through some difficult, lonely, horrid times. I do not know where I would be today without SF, I think I could possibly be dead right now if I hadn't found this place. I have had my highs and my lows but I owe a lot to SF and its kind, caring and compassionate members. Even if I get a short message to a thread, I know that someone, somewhere has heard me and is listening.
  9. Tmacster1

I don't know if I would still be here actually... The day before I joined SF I was really down and really wanted to die. But now I feel that this site has helped me, and I now have started to journal here. Seems to keep me sane. Thank you SF for being such a supportive community. I know I posted earlier but I just want to thank the community.
  10. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I think it helps me. It is just so helpful that when I feel down or really bad that I can say 'this is how it is for me right now,' I can tell in detail how miserable I feel. Or my fears.

And instead of the generic 'it's ok' answer I acutally get people who know what it feels like. That can tell me that it really will be ok becuase they are here or even tell me what the do to make themselves feel better.

I'm sure if this site wasn't around I would have killed myself in October when I was far away from my homestate and ready to do it. It was only here that helped me to keep going.
  11. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I would never have been able to get help if not for this forum. It helps in an indirect way, for me. More by reading other's experiences, how they came to be how they are right now, what avenues of treatment they pursued, how successful those were, what their experiences were along the way. It helped a great deal to be able to acclimatize myself with the implications of my own problems, to recognize them as such, and gave me hope that because others have been able to turn their lives around perhaps it is not impossible for me to do so as well.

I will also echo SaraRose' point about having a place to write about your lost marbles in detail without fear of the typical reactions that sort of information can generate from psychologically healthy people who have no idea what you are going through or how to appropriately respond.
  12. Tmacster1

I continue to feel that this place is like my second home. Because I tend to spend just as much time as Facebook on here. I find that at night this forum seems more relaxed even though there's lots going on. I know my third reply to this topic. But seems to be good to express how much SF has done for me, and for so many others who have came on this site. My finger is getting tired now because I'm responding via iPod touch. So, I can pretty much be on 24/7 when if I want to. I light go to bed here shortly. I kind of find it hard to leave this place... Just like Facebook. Might be an addict to SF and it's friendly members haha. Sf helps me through the day and night. Honest won't know what to do without it.
  13. Witty_Sarcasm

I'm addicted...might have 1000 posts by the end of the week lol. It's all the fun game posts and helping people and the great people here :biggrin:
  14. Tmacster1

I can smell my average 3000 posts per forum I've been on. Of course that take a while, and yes the games and helping others is extremely addictive in a good way. I should be a sleep but I'm still awake replying by iPod.
  15. Witty_Sarcasm

I should be sleeping too...in fact I can't stay up too much later cuz it's way too freezing downstairs. and it will be even colder tomorrow
  16. Tmacster1

Yeah it's :cold: right now. I'm off to sleep again did enough posting and replied. But I'll be back soon to post some more here on SF. Thanks again for the support :)
  17. Fredericks

Fredericks Well-Known Member

I'm glad this site exists, and I feel a little better when I come here to vent and contribute, but I see a lot of threads, a lot of messages, a lot of distress, go unanswered. I know there's not a whole lot of traffic on here, and I know a lot of us just don't know how to respond to someone in immediate crisis, but sometimes I see threads of desperate people needing to hear back, and they just get left. I'm not accusing anyone--lord knows I'm not responding as much as I should--I don't really know how--but some folks aren't getting the help that we could at least in part provide.
  18. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

19. Tmacster1

Simplest answer possible and it's pretty much dead on with my view.

20. Evanmm

Evanmm New Member

It's just good to know I'm not alone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.