Would You Stop to Assist a Child?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

http://www.lbc.co.uk/would-you-stop-to-help-a-lost-little-girl-87846

A child is walking down the High Street 3am wearing pyjama's and carrying their teddy

What do you do?

Stop and ask them where they live so you can take them back to Mummy & Daddy?

Walk/drive on by?

The trouble with the former option (especially if you are a guy) you could be accused of being a paedophile

The latter option may well be preferable to us guys lest we be accused of paedophilia

Channel 5 tv set up such a scenario as you can read at LBC Newstalk Radio link posted above

2. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

As a female, I would definitely, definitely, definitely stop but I can really totally understand why a man would think twice or three times or not stop at all. There is such a crazy presumption, that as a man you have to be SO careful (unfortunately).

But as a female (and relatively sensible and well-dressed and so on) there is no way I wouldn't stop. I would immediately be concerned and even if it meant I just stayed with the child whilst I called for the police … rather than trying to walk her anywhere (just in case the parents were already looking). I would have to stop. I couldn't not stop. I just couldn't not stop.

Imagine if someone horrible pedophile did stop and you could have been there earlier but you just drove on by …. No, I would HAVE TO stop. NO way I could do anything else.

3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Exactly Chjones

The world is fast on route to hell in a handbasket

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If a male had no history of harming a child then there would be no fear of even being accused of that one has to stop out of shear conscious one has to stop and care for that child protect child until authorities get there

5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

That is not true Total Eclipse

There have been cases where a mother has said to the guy returning her child:

"F*** off you pedo leave my child alone"

But that is more about the Mother who is an unsuitable mother because why was the child left alone anyway?

6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

You would think "call the police" would be high on the agenda if you were talking about a child late at night walking down the street in pajamas regardless of male or female.

Of course you would stop - male or female - I would hope anyway. If "I might be accused of being a pedophile" is higher in your mind than "that child is in danger" then that says more about a person's own selfishness than society to be honest. If concern about a false accusation that cannot possibly go anywhere trumps concern for a child's safety...

What/when were these cases? Links to actual evidence of this or hearsay? I worked in a shopping centre for nearly a decade and saw lots of lost children returned to parents by male and female shoppers and staff and never saw anything other than very worried parents being very grateful and relieved.

Of course in the scenario put forward here you would think it would be an extreme case of negligence or something really very bad that had happened for the child to be out at night in bedclothes alone, so maybe you might expect a hostile reaction from a parent - but you'd help the child regardless. I really hope there isn't anyone who wouldn't.

7. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I would stop. I carry a cell phone, so I would call the police and arrange to meet the police. They would tell me if I should stay right there with the child or take her to specific warm, safe place and wait.

I think a male could call the police too. If no cell phone, then flag down someone else...keep flagging down people until someone can call the police, and then wait for them.

8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

What Acy said - for all really is best - watch to keep safe from harm and call police.

9. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

Everyone is so quick to suspicion but I think the statistics show that in terms of a child suffering abuse it so very unlikely to be a random stranger that is actually the danger and far, far, far more common to be someone the child already knows (unfortunately).

It is partly the kind of "atomised" society we live in, I guess. And then also the media blaring constant bad news into our homes, our thoughts, our minds ... and never, ever focusing on all the good that so many people do day in and day out. It makes people fearful and quick to think the worst!

10. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Pick them up and take them to the police station.

11. soulreaper

soulreaper Well-Known Member

I think the real question should be what are you doing up at 3am? if by chance I were to see a kid at 3 am, he or she is old enough to knock out my drunk ass, never have I seen a missing kid at 3am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.