Would You Support An Assisted Suicide Law?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Dec 8, 2009.

?

Would You Support An Assisted Suicide Law?

1. Yes, I would vote for an assisted suicide law

59 vote(s)
    86.8%
  2. No, I would vote against an assisted suicide law

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Would you vote in favor of a law similar to Oregon's Death With Dignity Act which allows terminally ill, mentally capable adults in which two physicians determine have less than six months to live to legally end their lives with a physician prescribed lethal combination of drugs? The patient must make two oral requests and one written request; the patient must self-administer the prescription, no one can assist; and physicians may refuse to write a prescription.

2. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes, but not just the ill. But anyone should have that right.

3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I am for it; and like the previous poster, everyone should have access to it.

4. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Political correctness would get in the way. Suicide is really the only option in this regard.

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I see no problem with that.

But I also agree with Disappear. Everyone should have the right to assisted suicide. It's my life I should be able to decide what to do with it.

6. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member

This is the best place to ask that question LOL

I would definately support that~!!!

ppl didn't have right to choose to be born.
    ending life shouldn't be natural.
    ppl must have rights to whether to end or keeping going.

7. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Yep. It should apply to everyone who seeks it, whether terminally ill or not.

8. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would support it. My concern is for those who would be talked into it. There are a lot of unscrupulous people in the world that would do stuff like that.

9. Prinnctopher's Belt

I just noticed that the wording of the Poll is slanted toward either answer being voting for such proposal.

Yes, I would vote for ____________

No, I would not vote against ___________

If you're not voting against it, then you're voting for it. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  10. Adrian Messenger

Adrian Messenger New Member

Looks like all the posted replies are unanimous, and I feel the same way. I believe everybody ought to have the choice, without the government or doctors or anybody else getting in the way. And if I ask a doctor or a friend to help me out in some small way, they shouldn't be held liable for what I chose to do.

At the end of the day, the only thing we truly have absolute control over in our lives is that we can choose the hour and manner of our going. I think that's a personal dignity worth respecting and protecting.

11. Disappear

You know we treat animals better than we treat humans?
    When animals are suffering, ill, etc. We have the option to put then down, 'end their misery', 'put them out of their suffering', but when it comes to humans? We let them suffer, we we force them to live their last days in absolute misery, we force them to resort to terrible measures to end their lives -with no dignity in site. People are forced to jump in front of trains and put plastic bags over their heads, and resort to extremely long and painful methods. This is shocking that we treat human beings in such a terrible way. Something NEEDS to be changed!

12. Prinnctopher's Belt

Yeah, it's pretty barbaric that people have to <Mod Edit, WildCherry: Methods>.

There's always going to be pain, any method you choose, whether by a doc or not. Just because the pain isn't noticeable by others doesn't mean the pain isn't there as you're dying. Since the brain continues responding to stimulus for about 2-3 minutes after death, though brain cells are deteriorating, it's still picking up those pain signals from nerves for that short period, and it probably is scary as hell because your heart's stopped beating, and your body can't move, you can't inhale or exhale, but you're feeling all of it and can't respond for that short while before you fade out. It sort of reminds me of that story of the guy who went under anasthesia for his heart surgery, but the anasthesia wasn't administered correctly, and he was awake and conscious during the entire operation, feeling everything. I always imagine that's what dying is like, if only for the 2 minutes, it must suck -- unless of course the brains and brain stem have been physically and literally blown away and into bits and pieces. Then, you can't feel anything. You won't even know it happened. You'd be out faster than the speed of light per nanosecond.

Just some things to take into consideration when you're thinking of receiving a dosage of something.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  13. Adrian Messenger

Adrian Messenger New Member

Boy, yeah, Belt, it's a hard thing. Not as easy as some people think. The French thought the guillotine was quick until Lavoisier demonstrated that consciousness could remain a full 13 seconds after execution.

So many things to think about. None of it easy.

14. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

A thousand percent yes, and agreeing that the law should go further and extend the courtesy to all people. I'm actually shocked that so many people here share that sentiment, since this is officially a pro-life board.

Maybe I'm not as much of an outlier around here as I thought. :D

15. boo

boo Well-Known Member

i couldn't say it better!

16. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Personally I feel that there should medical centers in states where one could go and with the help of medical professionals commit suicide. Walk in, sign some papers get put on a waiting list, wait a year or so come back if nothing change then walk in and die. It would prevent the awful sometimes worse outcomes of a fail suicide. The medical professionals would be able to make it painless for the person wanting their service. Also be able to back out of the procedure if a person wanted. Be alot better than looking for methods online and failing and ending up in a vegative state.

17. Disappear

Sounds like a good idea Chris, espcially the 'wait a year+' part, that way it prevents any 'impulsive' individuals from making a mistake and gives the person plenty of time to make sure they are doing the right thing.

18. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I don't think I like the "wait a year" part. Why bother? I couldn't live like this for another year anyhow. I'll do all my thinking and my goodbyes beforehand. I want to just walk in and not walk out. Now, that will likely never happen in reality, but I can dream, can't I?

And so what if people are impulsive? They have their reasons to die, it's their body and their life, that should be enough.

19. helena

helena Staff Alumni

I'm moving this thread to the soapbox, as it seems to me a much more appropriate place to start with.

20. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Yes. We should all have the right and the ability to take our own lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.