Writers' Haven

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Silverpuddle, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

Are you a writer, whether published or unpublished? Come here to talk to other writers and discuss your projects.

I've written fanfic novels before, but I'm currently starting my first original novel. It's really challenging! The synopsis at the moment is, "A privateer and a professional duelist fall in love against a backdrop of intrigue in a world inspired by 17th century England."

A the moment I'm really enjoying the research, but wondering if the whole story isn't terrible. :p This is my first story that is first and foremost a love story.
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm sure it's not terrible! It actually sounds really interesting :) I have written sci-fi, horror, mystery, suspence, comedy, romance...haven't worked on anything for a while, though. Kinda lost my inspiration along the way. I have been thinking about writing a western, never have before so I'll see how that goes.
    Silverpuddle likes this.
  3. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

I don't think I've ever read a Western . . . what draws you to the genre?
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

I just find it interesting and I've wanted to try my hand at new genres. It will be a challenge but it might be fun.
  5. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

That sounds very interesting!

I am working on 2 fan fictions at the moment, the short one is almost finished, just have to write up the last chapter... the other one, I've got no clue when will be finished...

But I have two ideas for novels I want to write... One is an autobiography type of thing. But I keep thinking people won't 'buy into' the idea of it. It's a bit too depressing even if I wrote it with some wit.

The other is a bit more in the populistic adult genre... In my head it has the working title of 'The Man At The Bar'... The story is that a private detective chats up a young woman in a bar... the young woman manages to fall for him (romantic bla bla bla, sorry) but what the woman doesn't know is that the detective all along had planned to make her fall for him, as a part in his plan...
    The woman is in an abusive relationship (basically BDSM going too far for her own good) with a prominent (and married) politician... which the detective knows... it becomes tricky when he starts to feel sympathy for her, but still has to send her away to him, so he can gather further evidence...

But I don't know if anyone would want to read that... it's been done before I bet.
    Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  6. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

I think it is awesome there is a writers forum. I am often blown away on this site at the amount of creative, knowledgeable, and smart people that find their way here. I have been fortunate that people here have helped me maintain my passion for writing even in my darkest moments. Honourable mention goes to liquid Jello who inspired me to think it is actually possible to get published. Because lets face it depression is what tells you, you are not good enough. So I think it could be good to have this space to encourage one another. There is something Cathartic about writing.

As for me I am trying to write a literary fiction novel that touches on the concept of mind control and makes social commentary on the psychological warfare that is being waged on us. I wont be satisfied until I get my readers blood to run cold at the realities that breakthroughs in neuroscience are making, and what that could mean for us all one day. I will include the sources just to really bring it home how far we have come and are going, and why we should be mindful. Or I am writing a book of pretentious crap. Regardless I will still write it. Just to one day say I created a first draft.

A question, would you snuff out some of your own memories if you could?

Dear Phantom lady.

It does not matter if it has all been done before, because truth be told nothing is truly original any more. That is no bad thing, because what makes something unique is how you mix the elements together to tell a good story.

Here is proof everything has been done before. Embrace the tropes and add your own personal touch. It is also a good resource that has inspired me on several occasions.

Other things I am working on just for fun as side projects. Are a Creepy Pasta. Where I try and make the colour white turn into something scary.

As well as an SCP. Involving VR technology that rewires brains to a higher state of intellect but at the cost of emotion.

I hope you all enjoy your writing endeavors, keep the passion alive. If you have good resources please do share them here. Any simple guide on Apostrophes would be great.
  7. AlexiMarie7

AlexiMarie7 Well-Known Member

I would: want to read it, that is.
  8. AlexiMarie7

Just stopping by to wish you all luck on your individual endeavours. I know how frustrating it can be--I've tried to write maybe five pages--but please stick with it. Your words mean more than you may ever know, and your frustrations today are the release of others' frustrations tomorrow and for that I am truly grateful--books have saved me from myself many times.

Best wishes, folks. :)
    souncide and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  9. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

I found this on another site--it made me lol. :)

souncide and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  10. ThePhantomLady

Haha, I need that soap in my life!! I can get so desperate!
  11. AlexiMarie7

"Try Vodka" LoL.
  12. ThePhantomLady

I go for Whiskey and energy drinks though, lol.
  13. souncide

souncide Well-Known Member

Currently I'm not working on anything, but last year was very busy. I write mostly horror, but there's some other stuff in there too. You can check my works on my blog (link on my signature). I still have a lot to learn, but I think I'm getting there.
  14. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

Hi, souncide. :) I write some horror too, but I mostly write what I'd call "dark fantasy." I managed to finish chapter 6 of my novel, although for whatever reason it was hard as hell to get the words on the page for this one. Strange how ease of writing seems to come in waves.
  15. indythemuggle

indythemuggle Member

I've been working on a fantasy series for the last few years called the Monster That I Am trilogy. I'm still on book one, but that's mostly because I've found it a lot harder to keep writing recently.
  16. ThePhantomLady

Good luck with writing! Your series sound interesting!

I'm still battling writers block... but I wrote a page the other day! So that's something
  17. Witty_Sarcasm

Remember that any progress is good, so keep that in mind if any of you get discouraged about the speed of your writing. Sometimes good writing just takes time :)
    ThePhantomLady likes this.
  18. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

"You All Need Jesus"

A Catholic Priest is assigned to guide a group of juvenile delinquents. As the groups antics and pranks escalate the Catholic Priest finds his patience tested. A girl walks up to him and asks him for his signature for what he thinks are papers relating to her detention, but is in actuality a contract to the devil for his soul. Things escalate further when the group convince a young boy to accuse the Priest of being a pedophile, and the priest loses his Priesthood. Out of frustration the now ex-priest vows to abandon God. One of the boys in the group that was behind the plot confesses and he gets his priesthood back and he comes away with a new relationship with god. He learns that standing up to god is required for spiritual growth.
    He addresses the adolescent group and asks them
    "What is your relationship to God?"
    and Duncan, the leader of the group replies; "It's purely sexual."
    and instead of growing frustrated, he laughs along with them. "Duncan, I had you pegged as a trouble maker, but you are really a prophet in disguise."
  19. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

"Is there an authority too high to be questioned?" asked Father Yost.
    "Yeah," answered Duncan.
    "What is it?" asked Father Yost.
    "Me." replied Duncan.
  20. prettylies

prettylies Member

I've been writing for years yet I haven't exactly finished anything, I get too caught up in creating the characters and outlining that I get stuck when it comes to writing the actual story. I haven't been doing it much lately but it's something I really enjoy doing and hope to get back in to :)
    Witty_Sarcasm and MisterBGone like this.