Writing a funeral tribute - Urgent help please!

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Guscavenger, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Guscavenger

Guscavenger New Member

My Father died three weeks ago and I was asked by my aunt to write (and read) a tribute at the funeral next week. I'm pretty sure I have some kind of social anxiety disorder, I find it hard to have a one on one conversation with anybody, let alone speak to a crowd - so this is about the most terrifying thing anyones ever asked me to do. My dad was my only friend really and he was the one who would have helped me with such things, now that he's gone I literally have no one to turn to so if there's any help anyone could give me it would be much appreciated.

All I have so far is:

My father, Eddy was an intelligent, kind, generous, loyal and extraordinary man. If I could sum up everything he was in one phrase, it would be “selfless to the last”.

I find it so hard to speak about my feelings to anyone, this is really torture and its taken me all of today simply to write that one paragraph. I can't not go to my father's funeral so please if you could help me at all, I'm very desperate.
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

The best thing that you can do, is write from the heart. When you read the tribute about your father, you want it to sound like you really mean it. Think about the kind of person he was and what people thought about him. Be sure to mention that he was a good father and husband etc. I'm sure you will do a good job. :hug: