Wtf is wrong with me? And has anyone tried 5-htp pills?

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by foreveryoung, Jun 5, 2015.

1. foreveryoung

foreveryoung Member

I'm 22 and I've been obsessed with death and suicide for almost 6 years now. I'm not suicidal - <Mod Edit: Methods> But I think about it all the time, and it's kind of comforting in a way.. I think to myself, in the future, if things don't get better then it's not all bad, I can just kill myself.
    Towards the end of last year I was really depressed. I have quite bad social anxiety so I've never spoken to a GP about it - I never will. Anyway, it was unbearable so I did a bit of research and I bought those 5htp pills (natural mood/sleep enhancers). Then, when they arrived, I read stories online about how your depression can worsen after taking them so I never tried them.
    Although I feel miserable most of the time, there have been random periods where I've felt positive with hope for the future. For example, in January of this year, not long after I bought those 5htp pills which I never took, for a couple of months I felt great. I couldn't remember the last time I was that happy or positive. I started eating whole foods, walked regularly, stopped smoking and socially drinking and became obsessed with my health, thinking that my new diet/lifestyle was making me feel this good. After about 6 weeks, I was convinced that it was for good and the thought of living a long life appealed to me for the first time since I don't know when. Then booom, miserable again, and I stopped caring about my health and went back to my old ways.
    Now I'm low every day. I don't enjoy being around people and I'm tired all of the time. I wanna feel how great I felt from January up until March. I don't even know why I felt that good then. I was so positive. I was just wondering, has anyone ever taken 5-htp? I've still got my unopened bottle here and I'm wondering if they've helped anyone? Thanks for reading :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  2. foreveryoung

foreveryoung Member

I took 50mg of 5-htp yesterday and 50mg again today. I feel so much worse mentally.. maybe the worst I've ever felt, I dunno but I haven't felt like this in a long time. My chest also feels tight like I'm mildly hyperventilating or something. I wonder if it's related? Surely not if it's supposed to improve brain function. I'll see how I am in a week and if I'm still like this, I'm gonna stop taking them.
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Please stop taking anything until you have seen your GP.
  4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Thar sums up my impression when reading anything bt a Dr not associated with selling the product. Reading the reviews on WEBMD even are far far more negative than positive which is strange since there should be a fair number of simple placebo effects type of reviews where people said worked okay- in this case most said stopped because felt worse.

I would really really talk to a dr and if interested in medical assistance stich to medicallu approved treatments with double blind studies and long term side effect studies.