X-Factor and humiliating the mentally ill.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hache, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

For those who do not know what the X-Factor is, it is Simon Cowell's UK version of American Idol. For those who do not know what American Idol is, sorry I cant help you :punk:

So there is a debate ongoing at the moment that the show is being ran in a sick manor. They are delibrately putting rubbish acts through to see the judges instead of filtering them out. These people then think they are good, get in front of the judges and are laughed at by thousands in a live audience and millions on tv.

Some of these acts are people who are clearly quite ill, damaged or have dangerous delusions that could set them off down a bad path. Last night for example, someone who thought Michael Jackson was talking to him came on, he was awful couldn't sing, but everyone got to laugh at him.

A week ago they showed a woman who pretty much screamed, she acted as if she was possessed, the judges put her through, God only knows why, anyone with a brain knew she couldn't sick and was awful. A few days later doctors decided based on her performance that she wasn't mentally well enough to actually go through.

I think it is sick that X Factor are exploiting people just to get a laugh.

2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Yeah there's two ways of looking at it I suppose. Some people go on there for the laugh and don't really believe they will get anywhere. And some are a bit delusional, but then again, to some degree who are we to say that they are so delusional they cant try atleast.

It just goes both ways. We have to be careful on who we let on these programs, and we have to be as equally careful who we do not let on these programs.

It'd help a bit if you could find some youtube clips so to see the specific people you are talking about.

3. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I agree that its totally wrong when people who obviously cant sing get put through. Maybe they see some sort of potential or it could just be that as an entertainment show having a few cheesy contestants attracts more viewers. Thats what these shows are about, ratings.
    I could be wrong but i didnt think the judges see any of the performances until the audition? Which means unless people divulge the information they will not no they are vulnerable.
    Iv watched both episodes and Shirlene (i think that is her name) was awful, i couldnt believe she was put through but like you i think this was just for the laugh factor. I also dont believe she has professional training. I dont normally watch these types of shows but a guy who i work with has gotten through to the Boot camp stage and im waiting to hear him sing. After that i wont bother because i do believe this show exploits all the contestants not just mentally ill and troubled. For example they will get them to sing songs from different genres to get them out of there comfort zone then tell them how awful they are. You dont see pop stars being told to do heavy metal or rock. They stick with what there good at, why should the contestants be any different?
    Also i dont think you can exclude mentally ill people from contests like these, it wouldnt be fair. Where would the exclusions stop? People have a right to the choice and then if they look like there struggling let them go gently but with support.
    Just my opinion
    Sorry im rambling now and my mind is wandering so ill leave it there

4. Borrowed time*

I cant find the clips but i cant remember the Michael Jackson wannabe saying he spoke to Michael just that he could feel him with him and that he would of liked his singing. Nothing wrong with that, religous people say the same all the time. Not about the singing obviously:cool:

The woman on the first show didnt really sing, i thought she just spoke through out. It really was awful.

5. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Sunny, thousands of people see pre-judges before they see the real panel of Simon Cowell and co. The pre-judges are putting people through to the live stage infront of thousands for a laugh, it's disturbing, teaching the country to laugh at people slightly different. They should have been knocked back by the pre judges for not being able to sing.

Blake, you're right they shouldn't be denied the chance, i'm not saying dont turn up, but the pre-judges should be saying no, how can they say yes to people who clearly cannot sing. They should never have gotten as far as Simon Cowell, I've heard from a friend of a friend that you have to see many judges backstage before hand. The best get put through to see Simon Cowell.

The problem for the producers is that without the "laughs" their show is boring and rubbish at this stage. People wont sit and watch an hour and a halfs worth of people getting put through to the next round for singing well.

Imagine someone who is slightly mentally ill and/or deluded, goes to X Factor and the pre-judges pass them through a few stages, all of a sudden they start to believe their delusions to be true even more, the delusions get grander, their heart beats faster, they are fed for a massive knock down and discrimination.

On the other hand, some of these deluded individuals might actually be stronger to cope with defeat because they are in a world of their own. I dont know about you but if thousands mocked and laughed at me infront of me and on national television I'd feel bloody awful for the rest of my life. Especially if I had just had my hopes built up by pre judges.

6. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

hmm it is disturbing. What's more disturbing is that we are a part of it :S

7. Borrowed time*

I personally wouldnt put myself in that position. I agree though it would be awful to be slammed back down to reality by being rejected.

8. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Yeh I guess you cant know for sure they are ill, but they do put a lot of people through that you can tell from their performance could possibly be at risk. People who seem vulnerable.

They put people through who are awful who dont have any problems, just send them up there to get mocked and embarassed. There are a lot of young people, young groups they put up there that are shocking, abysmal, but everyone gets to laugh at their singing.

The woman who has been kicked off the show by doctors is a sign that they need to be very careful messing around with the minds of people who we all know are rubbish, just tell them there and then to go home.

Apparently there are psychologists with the pre judges, i'm not sure if that is 100% true but I heard it on the radio. I think they made the assumption this woman would go up, be mocked, shock everyone with her style and be told no, bit of entertainment. Instead she is put through, some how, no one knows, probably because the judges saw pound signs coming off of her, then the psychologists for the show back track and say she cant go through.

Imagine how that woman is actually feeling now? She got put through and then told she isn't mentally well enough to stay on the show. That is potentially more dangerous than having them told they are crap by Simon Cowell.

9. Borrowed time*

I totally agee
    A lot of people get through that clearly shouldnt. Like you said though they get put through for the laughs. Its a sad world we live in where people have to laugh and mock other people to feel better about themselves. To me its another form of bullying.
    Nothing will change though because it brings the money in. People complain, they appologise and say they are supporting but nothing really changes.

10. Charlie Milles

Charlie Milles Well-Known Member

As long as they make their money, right?

11. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know...
    The "audition process" they air on TV is supposed to be the hook for the whole season. Why do people like the auditions? Because the people auditioning are effin' crazy! It's 'entertainment', that's all it is.

It's reality TV, they have to have all of the elements!
    Crazy people, people with a sob story, angry people, attractive untalented people, etc.
    That's just reality TV for you.
    Watch any other reality TV show and you'll find the same things.

As long as people keep watching them though, they're not going to go away.

~~ also~~

Even the people who humiliate themselves have to sign an agreement to have their part aired on TV.
    If they really don't want to be humiliated, they don't have to sign the agreement and their face will be blurred; or their segment will be cut entirely.

12. Borrowed time*

Said it better than me with less words :tongue:

13. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

That's the bedrock of reality television, if not human entertainment in general: watching other people, regardless of their mental condition, make complete fools of themselves. We love drama and tantrums and the like, largely because we love not having to relate with them.

14. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Couldn't agree with you more Hache!

It's obvious that they are taking advantage of these people for ratings, which works for that purpose and which is truly a very sad commentary on our society!

15. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Let's not act all so surprise now. This kind of exploitation have been going on since the cavemen era. All the way back to the days where people would be paying money to see circus freak shows.

16. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

so its a condition we've not yet evolved out of. Or, it's a feeling that we just can't say no to?

Ever just looked at the stuff on your intro youtube page and think that it's all garbage? Yet so many people watch it..

17. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I always wanted to be the bearded lady at a side-show.

unfortunately, I am unable to grow thick, luxurious facial hair.
    sadface.

18. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I liken it to how we can't help but look at a car accident or street fight. We fear being hurt, humiliated, or otherwise negatively affected, and therefore it fascinates us.

19. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I think morally it is cruel, and not really right. That's just me, though. Just always thought it was sick for people that were apparently not struggling through life to use ill people to get a laugh or their amusement from. That's in a way like setting these people up to be bullied, in a way.

20. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Here is that MJ clip, just found it whilst browsing youtube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.