xanax questions

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by theladthatlovedyou, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. is there anything i should know? i'm not prescribed it, but i just bought 10 pills off a guy in my class and i was wondering if there's anything important to know before taking them- like, important side effects or allergic reactions or something. I only ask because i've never taken medication for my depression, or seen anyone about it, so i want to give it a try without o.d.ing. I mean, if there's any chance it'll make me feel better, you know, i'd like to give it a shot. I don't think ten pills would be enough to die anyway. i need an answer right away, so i'll be in chat and online here.

i'm gonna take them anyway probly, i'd just like to know if there's anything i should be worried about.
  2. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

You sould nevr tak medication witout knowin what its for nor if not prescribd for you. ONLY your doctor knows or would know wat could work for you and xanax does not help depression.

Its used is for anxiety attacks, so short term effect, not for depression period so you can now just flush them away..it wont help you hun. sorry but you just spent money and will get no benefit out of it.

sorry you are feeling so low but get in touch with your family doctor who will be able to determine what meds. will help you best and speficic to what you have.

be wll and stay safe
  3. no, it is used for depression. i think my cousin takes it for that, but even if i'm wrong about her, all the sites i've gone to have said that it's used to treat clinical depression
  4. BelovedDreamer

BelovedDreamer Well-Known Member

Xanax (Alprazolam) is often used in conjunction with medications for the treatment of depression as a short term treatment for anxiety. It's not uncommon for people with depression to also have it complicated by anxiety issues. It is not for the treatment of depression, but rather to help mediate other issues (like stress) which can worsen or set off depression. Your cousin may well have been prescribed Xanax, but it is unlikely that she was prescribed it to treat the depression itself. Xanax is often prescribed to people with anxiety problems because it works very quickly and can thus be used to stave off or help end a panic attack (it has a sort of sedative effect). The drug carries a strong likelihood of addiction/dependence. Especially if used in high doses. Withdrawal from Xanax is apparently not enjoyable in the slightest. Don't take ten at once. I take Xanax. It's great for short term anxiety issues. Taking ten (esp. at once) is not going to help your depression, it may however screw with your brain chemistry and worsen it or make you ill due to the dosage or other complications, it does have the possibility of allergic reaction and has a noticeable list of contraindications with other medications (both prescribed, over-the-counter, and herbal). Seriously, if you haven't already, please do not. This is coming from someone who has experimented with plenty of drugs in her time. This isn't going to do what you want it to.
    I was really dubious about seeing a doctor for my depression too. It can be a big decision, but at least that way the medication will be for what you want it to treat and it won't interact with something you take and leave you in the hospital.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.