Xanax

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by justgettinby, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justgettinby

justgettinby Well-Known Member

Lately I've been using Xanax, sometimes with alcohol, to get a full night of sleep. Otherwise I wake up with nightmares about my ex. It's so hard NOT to use it because I just never get tired, or I'm too afraid to fall asleep. Are there other ways to make myself sleepy? How do I wean myself off this stuff?

2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Gettingby, Xanax is the most viscious benzo out there. It and Klonopin are the most potent--but Xanax wins the crown for most notoriously addicting.

Tolerance develops fast and it's incredibly hard to get off of it.

USE CARE, wean cautiously, and know that aprazolam (Xanax) is the last thing you turn to for sleep.

I gotta run but yes there are many, many, many better ways (and meds) to help you fall asleep.

ToHelp

3. Have you tried Benadryl yet? Two capsules about an hour or two before you want to go to bed might be really helpful, and it's a lot safer. You want to be sure you can sleep for a good 8 hours after you take it. Good luck.

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

And get generic. We've had this discussion somewhere on here but it's all diphenhydramine and 100 tablets can be had for as little as a few dollars.

On the other hand, you can pick up "Benadryl" or some brand name sleep aid with diphenhydramine and pay $4.00 for as little as 24 tablets. lol

It's ludicrous, but companies are just taking advantage of consumer ignorance.

'Morning everyone.

ToHelp

5. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Who ever is giving you your xanax, ask them to change meds. Trazedone & amitriptiline are anti-deepresants that have the side effect of putting you to sleep. They are not addictive as far as my experience w them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  6. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Ayup, trazodone and amitriptyline are both excellent sedatives. They'll "put your ass down" all right, GettingBy, but it sounds like you have an impending or abiding alcohol and Xanax issue to deal with.

So here's the sequence. First we would try and get you "clean" (at least nights). Then you can ask your doc for small doses of one of the ADs mentioned above.

It can be very dagerous taking them together, so be straight out, on the level, and honest with him or her (there's no shame in an insomniac just trying get relief).

Can you keep us all 'posted'? (pun) :laugh:

ToHelp

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i took xanax when i was just 13 lol, i may as well have taken smarties , i didnt feel any difference lol

8. justgettinby

Thanks, everyone. I was planning to go to a doctor soon to switch to a different med than Prozac anyhow. So I'll ask about these other medications. Yea, I'm trying real hard to stop drinking altogether. But I have about 4 months worth of Xanax and i just can't bring myself not to use it sometimes. Again, thanks for all the replies!

9. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

((((Gettingby))))) :hug:

"i just can't bring myself not to use it sometimes." I know, precisely, what you are talking about, and how it feels when that craving comes on.

If you'd like to PM so I can know what amounts you are taking, how much you are drinking with it, how you feel this all may be affecting your life during the day and so on, I am here for you.

ToHelp

10. WhyMeWhy

Really? 4 months worth? I'd have trouble not using too if I had that much. I'm precribed them 4 anxiety/agitation..... but only in 2 week supplies. I have to refill them yet. Btw: how much are you takin how many times per day?
    I take 1 mg 3 X a day.

Does anyone know if alcohol lessens their lasting effect? I've heard that drinking w/ anything brings 6X the normal effect, but am not sure if they last as long as they're supposed to if you booze them down.

11. justgettinby

Yea, i have a very 'liberal' doctor back where I used to live and before I moved he wrote me a prescription for a year's worth, in 4 month supplies. And in my experience, when I take Xanax with alcohol, which is fairly often, it increases its effects. I usually end up being knocked out for 10 hours when I drink with it.

12. WhyMeWhy

Thank you. I shall not drink with my xanax. I was never big on alcohol anyway..... the only government drug I buy in stores are the smokes.

13. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I am amazed at what people are missing here. The cardinal rule is NEVER mix alcohol with something like Xanax.

You're asking for troubles that you can't imagine by fostering an addiction to them both, for in combination on any regular basis, this addiction can be near impossible to escape.

In brief: Alcohol + addictive meds is a capital NO-NO.

ToHelp

14. justgettinby

It's not that I'm missing anything at all. I know just how dangerous Xanax and alcohol together are. Or alcohol and any prescription meds. It's just that I can't stop doing self-destructive things to myself.

15. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Ok baby. :hug: I understand better now.

16. PainEngulfsMe

PainEngulfsMe Active Member

i will takwe them!! all 4 months!! yes!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.