y do people cut?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by tip, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tip

tip Guest

i am curious...so many stories of this around the world, I just to know like...why do you do it...what does it give you and does it actually help?

i did it once but i think i did it wrong cos it just hurt lol, there was no release
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I guess at the end of the day self harm is something personal meaning it helps some people combat the pain even if it's only temporary but then with other people, self harm does nothing for them. i wrote a guide to self harm a while ago maybe if you read it you'd gain a greater understanding: Click.

If you have anymore questions though feel free to ask, it's good that you want to learn about why people self harm and not to generalise like some people do.
  3. //x/forgottonemo/x//

//x/forgottonemo/x// Well-Known Member

i started cutting this year in january cos i got in a massive argument with my parents and after i was in my room and crying soo much, i got really angry so i just got my scissors and did it. dont know why, but from then on if i got really upset or angry id just do it without thinking twice. :dunno:
  4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

For me cutting or self harming is to get the emotional pain out in a physical way, if you feel the pain, it makes the emotional pain some how go away.
  5. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

My parents wouldn't stop arguing, they hated each other (There finally at the start of a divorce!) and wouldn't admit it. They'd argue over anything, and my sister and I were always in the middle. I blame my mum, she has a compulsive need to argue.

I was having a hard time as it was, I'd never been the most popular kid (Understatement of my year!) and I was just fed up.

One day I just picked up a knife and cut myself, after that, I did it every-time something went wrong, then every day, then several times a day. This went on for about a year.

When I got out of hospital, I controlled it more. I was still cutting but they were light cuts. 3 weeks ago my Girlfriend ditched me (She walked in on me light cutting) and I went back in at the deep end, and remembered what it was like.

Now its just become my fall back for everything I don't even need a reason.
  6. Will

Will Staff Alumni

I cut because I hate myself. If no one else will hit me, even though they hate me, then I'll jsut make sure that I do my own damage.
  7. maleficum

maleficum Member

The first time I cut I was just so upset and angry and bitter that I wanted to do something bad, something twisted, something stupid, I wanted to bleed, I wanted to wallow in my own despair, I wanted to be misunderstood. I can't really remember exactly why cutting ran across my mind, apart from wanting to bleed. There are other ways to do all those other things, I know. But I had my scissors in my hand and I started and it felt good. Apparently pain gives off some chemical that makes you temporarily happy. Or something. I can't really remember, don't count on that to be a fact. But yeah. Cutting. I do feel release, it's like I'm at home and safe and not worrying, even though it's obviously not too safe and it makes me worry more later. It's satisfying to feel pain and to bleed, it just has a different satisfaction than anything else does. And also even though I hate it when some people find out, when people I can really trust find out, I like to talk about it, I like to hear their repulsion, it's satisfying even though it makes me hate myself.

Well that's all I can think of for now. ^____^

edit: oh and about saying wanting to do something stupid and bad and twisted, that doesn't mean I think anyone who cuts is stupid or bad or twisted. I know now that cutting isn't abnormal.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2006
  8. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I used to cut because i felt nothing, at all... the physical representation of pain though was somethnig so basic that we all understand from a young age it used to be the only way i could feel anything... now i just let people hit me in the face in martial arts...
  9. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

10. DepressionII

DepressionII Well-Known Member

Endorphins. Plus it's beautiful. No matter what others say, it's a beautiful, delicate and intimate process. But, the main reason is the endorphins...now that my misanthropy has gone to a degree, good ol' depression has replaced it. Misanthropy was a great feeling.....depression is not.
  11. Come What(Ever) May

Come What(Ever) May Well-Known Member

I would say mostly as a way to get my mind off mental pain. Suffering from a broken heart, the loneliness just cripples me. It feels like lacking a whole other half of myself. But for however short a time, the burns make me feel something other than emptiness.
  12. zbucket

zbucket Member

Control. I decide what happens, I get the reward from doing it and I can decide when, where and how it is done.
  13. Chase

Chase Member

I don't know why I do it, that's what's really depressing.
  14. tip

tip Guest

the time i tried it was because I was really really angry with myself and just hated myself.

punishing yourself...thats something I've never considered because I believe that through life we are punished - karma and all that.

also intereting was people saying it takes your mind off the inner pain and depression....but that will still be there afterwards.

Thanks for all the comments and stuff, im understanding more now.

o and resistance that link didnt work...wanted me to log in again, maye its restricted access r sumthng??
  15. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I also heard that cutting can be a subconcious way of developing something to fall back on and feel secured by, much like one's parents to their children. In fact most cutters I know have done so for that very reason, often having parents that did not love them or make them feel secure...not unless they gave them drastic reason too, such a slice in the arm or something.

This eventually becomes an addiciton for which the original purpose was lost in favor of the developed sense of euphoria.
  16. Come What(Ever) May

Well I cut myself for the 1st time tonite and the only thing I got out of it was some feeling that came from seeing the blood.
  17. ~CazzaAngel~

Hun, it just causes problems, please don't do it again, it takes over your life, beleive me. I have had problems with it for about 10 years now.
  18. Come What(Ever) May

Yea I believe it. It's just that I took a major emotional blow tonite. It was so bad I'm having physical side effects. I just didn't know what to do. I don't even know why I did it. My brain like just shut down and I did it.
  19. ~CazzaAngel~

20. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

well, why did you do it? to me, if you don't feel any better afterwards, or all you can think, is that hurt, it's probably not because you see it as something to help. And the reason it helps is because it releases a hormone/chemical thing that is called "endorphins" they calm you down and allow you to think more clearly. At times, it also helps because alot of people cut because they figure that if they hurt themselves, no one else can hurt them. Alot of people just want to die, but don't want the people around them to be sad, so they cut instead. Thats just a few reasons why people cut, I have more if you want them.

I only read the first post, so i am sorry if any of this has already been said or asked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.