Yes, I'm asking for advice...(gulp)...any and all thoughts welcome

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by worlds edge, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I'm about to do something I never thought I'd do again, meaning look for a job. This is my first crack at resume in YEARS, so I'm hoping for some constructive criticism. Or, okay, even not so constructive criticism as long as it potentially corrects any errors I might have made.

Unfortunately I'm no whiz at anything that touches upon HTML, so the best I'm able to do at present is offer two kind of unpleasant ways to read it.

It can be viewed at ScribID, here, simply by clicking on the link. The 'downside' is that the stupid window it opens in is at most 2/3 of the screen. Meaning it is kind of hard to read....and if there's a way to offer a full screen view with their product I've not found it.

Or, I also saved it as a PDF at File Factory, here. This actually gives you a better view, but you have to click a link and then type some gibberish they prompt you for. Note that you do NOT need to sign up for anything. (I made sure of this.)

(Note to mods: I've taken steps to strip out any information that might be considered personal. Phone numbers, former employer names, etc., are all changed. Just in case anyone is wondering.)
  2. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

Wow i think the resume looks great, although I only opened the first link (the ScribID one) because i didn't quite get the PDF file one.. i'm not sure which link to click on and i don't really fancy downloading anything on to my PC..

.. so in a way i think it was easier for a potential employer to view the ScribID link, only because you don't have to click links/type in stuff to get to the resume. I don't know how many employers would do that..

I normally do my resume in a Microsoft Word document and then either print it out and post it or send it as an attachment via email.. i guess html is the future way of doing it!? Yikes i better get learning!

Anyway, i think it looks great... good luck with the search and let us know how it goes?
    Jenny x

PS remember to not submit that version of your CV to employers! lol i love the names you've chosen for your work/courses etc :laugh:
  3. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jenny. Glad somebody looked at a thread I started... :tongue:
  4. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

It looks good :) And i agree with jenny about the first one, the scridib one, being better for the employers.
    Good luck :hug: :)
  5. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

Different country, but looks ok to me. Nice and clean. Says to me "worth an interview".

One thing hard to work out with the blanked dates and your comments is whether any significant gaps in employment history. In this part of the world some folk do not seem to like that - I dunno about your part of the world.

As someone who moved around a lot on contract. and takes a lot of extended holidays I have come accross this a fair bit - some folk seem to regard not working for long periods as somehow "wrong". go figure! :laugh:. So IME always good to have a "suitable" reason ready. With me it was brutal honesty, when at work I do put in max effort......and then I simply go on extended holiday :tongue:. Now am self employed, so not so much scope for me long hols :sad:
  6. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

If I was an employer I'd for certain offer you an interview, it looks great. I also viewed the scribid version. Good luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.