Yo Americans

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Øyvind, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

:twitch: what the

Do you ever, when you go about your day (if "going about your day" is even possible in such a society) stop and think "this...is not...normal o_O" ?
    Haha not only do you have a "right to bear arms", but you are allowed to walk around with guns in public??? In some states it says students are even allowed to bring guns to school :dizzy:

In European countries carrying guns in public would rightly be considered terrorism and special forces would be called to stop you one way or another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States The map where red means concealed carry is banned...not a lot of red states. It's settled then, I'm not moving to the US. Not because I'm afraid of dying (I'm obviously not) but because this is so removed from what I can relate to and feel comfortable with I wouldn't feel like home.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  2. FMyLife

FMyLife Chat Buddy

3. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

that chart is interesting. the licensed ticked states have it right imo
  4. FMyLife

FMyLife Chat Buddy

Agreed scary. I have a gun license. I have a gun. Most states require that and more over most states require proof of license before purchasing a gun. As it stands now, I know of no state that allows weapons in school. Because of recent school shootings they are allowing some "specially trained" teachers to keep a locked weapon in the case of a shooting or something of the sort. Students are not allowed guns. Also, these are wikipedia sites that are hardly reliant as far as information and shouldn't be used to validate the stereotyping of the american way of life. I'm sure that I can pull a jacked up article on just about every country and use it to stereotype….but I'm not going to do that as I do have some semblance of respect for others.
  5. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

true. many people are allowed to add details to articles without the info being checked.
  6. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

Well is it true or not that people can carry guns in public, whether it's concealed or open? I know this is the case and well...there are no words. Does this seem normal to you?
  7. FMyLife

FMyLife Chat Buddy

Licensed people can carry guns concealed or in public. Not everyone. And licenses aren't always easy to get. Even if you don't agree with our laws, the flaming of a country you don't live in isn't justified. We aren't creepy and we aren't out of the hills have eyes. You couldn't simply state that you don't agree.
  8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Depends on the state. Different states have different laws applying to their state. The District of Columbia - my city - has a ban on possessing any firearms, including stun guns, even in a residence. However, my understanding is that this has been ruled unconstitutional in a recent case in federal court, and the local law is changing to permit concealed carrying of legal weapons with police registration, with which I agree.

But no. In most places people cannot carry firearms openly unless they are authorized law enforcement.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  9. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

It's effed up for sure. I'm always embarrassed to be an American when non-Americans point out stuff like that...
  10. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The problem with guns in the US is largely because so many movies and TV shows are made in the US and people have a hard time remembering that it is TV or movie and fiction. Are guns legal ? Yes they are. Do people carry them around as a general thing? No. I have a friend from UK that visited here and while she was surprised to see a gun store I do not believe she saw a gun the entire time here (unless she noticed a locked gun cabinet somewhere. No, you cannot carry guns to school unless you are a police officer. I am afraid you would be sadly disappointed with the US as you have it pictured in your mind as in reality you are very very unlikely to see a gun on a person, will not see any shoot outs, and we have the most conservative TV and commercials in the world where sexual innuendo and nudity is completely off limits and absolutely prudish by European standards. The only thing most tourists and immigrants are shocked by when they come here is the lack of guns, lack of everything they expected based on movies, how conservative in regards to sex and nudity, draconian laws on alcohol (and drugs) that is illegal completely in many places and tightly controlled everywhere, and the much lower prices on things then they are used to. Oh, and that if they get sick they go to the DR and are treated rather than turned away as the TV and media would like people to believe.

I suggest taking some tome to do some traveling to different countries prior to committing to moving to one to get a first hand look rather than try to make deductions based on what is legal by some statute (but may be illegal by others in the same place) according to un-vetted sources and what you see on TV and the media.
  11. Clementine

Clementine Well-Known Member

why would we ever be allowed to carry guns to school?
  12. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance Americans, but I've always assumed the reason why guns are so strong in your culture is because of your history. And your ability to overcome adversity against your common-human or any community/organization that uses it's power to dominate over the freedom of the individual.

And in todays society.. there's alot of tools that people who are lost can easily gain access to. It doesn't mean it's not a good idea to know how to defend yourselves. How has it been put? "If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him" I expect this is a major part of the reason why guns are so prevalent in America. To me, you guys aren't pushovers.

Doesn't mean you guys are Masters of discipline or control however...
  13. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

uh the natural response: Why would you ever be allowed to carry guns anywhere?
  14. justMe7

Maybe start by answering the question, "why would someone want to carry a firearm". Allow is a completely different issue. If you start to understand the why in a free instance, you may begin to understand American mentality, and perhaps another avenue of human nature a bit more.
  15. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

in order to kill someone
  16. justMe7

Yeah... is that all you see when there is talk about firearms? Not being rude I'm just trying to get an idea of what you really see when a firearm is mentioned.
  17. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

that or hunting. But handguns and assault rifles aren't used for hunting. And there are no deers to hunt on the street.
  18. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Yo, I am one of those Americans who owns a gun and has a license to carry a concealed weapon. But I have never carried it anywhere except to the firing range, and never want to carry it anywhere but the firing range. I own one for protection. Its nice for a single women to have one, although I hope to never be threatened in my own home and the odds are that I never will be. And shooting is an enjoyable hobby. My fondest hope is that I NEVER fire mine at any place other then the range. I believe most gun owners feel the same way. You do not see guns on every street corner in the US. Only law enforcement openly carries. It really is not the wild wild west here.
  19. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

you may not carry it to anywhere but the shooting range, but you are allowed to, and other people do. That is the problem. And owning a gun for protection is admitting an intention to use it against another human being, something that would surely disqualify you from owning a gun here. When you "protect" yourself with a gun, the one you're "protecting" yourself from tends to die. Unless that person had a gun on you, that would be considered murder here. And rightfully so.

Looks pretty wild and scary to me
  20. justMe7

Hmm.. Ok well, you are right, there is no denying that firearms are inevitably used to kill in many cases. But that's not the entire scope of their application. To backtrack slowly, they can also wound someone to immobilize them, thus preventing them from hurting, or killing someone else. But one of their larger applications is a deterrent. The basic concept is, a firearm makes the playing field level. So someone who is physically weak can actually be on par with someone who is physically dominant.

For the evolution of this, you have to understand American history and apparently how brutal it was in the past. From isolated farms to small communities who had no support from the outside world, or internal infrastructures. If you had 10-20 men riding into your town with no care except for what they can take, the only way to protect yourself is to arm yourselves. The moment a group of being are armed, it creates a real possibility that wouldn't normally be there. Which is, "If you attempt to steal, hurt or kill anyone here, you can potentially be killed". This deterrent, made possible by firearms stopped alot of aggressive human tendencies. From Rape, to Murder, to Kidnappings, to Dominant long term control of towns and regions. This allowed the ability for people with good intentions to cluster together, and being to propser because they had a way to repel those people who just don't care, and do not want to move their lives in a way that is respectful and beneficial for everyone, including themselves. Atleast to a degree.

The same situations apply today. But it's alot more complicated. Weapons are not souly used to kill. It gets dicey with meaning though when you need a rocket launcher(being over dramatic) to defend yourself and your property though for example.

P.s I'm not advocating walking around with an assualt rifle. I think that's so stupid and disconnected from reality. Doing that will frighten people and inadventently make them want to get a weapon to defend themselves in some cases.
    I'm just trying to highlight what they are saying. Though I think this small number of people who walk around with assault rifles on their backs are just doing it to make a point/for attention.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.