You are all beautiful, and there is a reason for everything that we go through...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Sakura, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sakura

Sakura Well-Known Member

Have you ever wondered what would happen to you after you died? Have you ever wondered if you would go to a good place...or a bad? I am not here to tell you the answers to these questions...rather I am just here to give you the links to some answers, that I truly believe can offer many of you peace, and a renewed sense to continue living the life that you have now. Because we are all here for a reason...a purpose that you will never find out...if you end your life prematurely.

Suicidal near-death experiences

A suicide survivor's tale of life after death

2. Syd

Syd Guest

EDIT: Sorry, long rant. I think I ruined your thread... *sigh* :rolleyes: It's really random and off-topic. I do this sometimes. I'll delete it if you want.

Thanks for the interesting links, Sakura. I agree with you on some points. Humans do have a purpose here, but only if we choose to find that purpose. Objectively, human existence is as meaningless as anything else, but of course to be human is to experience the world subjectively too.

That's where the old "meaning of life" question comes in. There is no logically right or wrong answer to it, there's meaning for some and there's no meaning for others. It's up to the individual to decide if his or her life is worth living and meaningful. So of course I see what you're saying by advocating a natural life over suicide, since the more time we spend here, the greater chance we'll have to find meaning and purpose. It is that feeling that makes all of life's struggles seem worth it, no matter how old we are when that sense of value is found.

I don't believe that the NDE's truly offer any insight on death though. They offer insight on life. The dream sequences that those near death are entering are the result of chemical reactions in their brain, of course a brain can't function if someone is truly dead. States of shock are common when we're deprived of oxygen, blood, or other vitals. The deprivation can induce panic in the brain, it's like a fish out of water, convulsing out of control. Visual data and dreams are more vivid than ever, because of the rush of chemicals during this "convulsion" of sorts.

I had the same type of thing happen before, to a lesser degree. I was pulled out of sleep by a panic attack, my heart was out of control, couldn't breathe, etc.. I thought I was having a heart attack or something. When I fell asleep again, my mind was still racing, and I had a very vivid dream that was heaven-like in many ways. I think of it more as a defense mechanism though. The mind was trying to calm down after a lot of stress, and focusing on a pleasurable dream was the easiest way to do so. When someone experiences "hell" or a nightmare, I believe they're experiencing panic, only they're still asleep (or unconscious due to medical reasons) while it's happening.

If anyone chooses to believe NDE's are a "window" to afterlife, that's fine, I just don't see things that way. I share Huxley's Agnostic perspective, humans lack the resources to accurately conceptualize anything outside of life, the fundamental properties supporting our existence within space-time. Our minds and communication are reliant on these properties, and it becomes nonsense to apply this human thinking to a context which we're assuming is devoid of life, for lack of better words. Every account we'll hear of afterlife is going to mirror properties of life, that's what human imagination does - it takes old information (and there's a lot of information and memories stored in our minds that we normally never access) and builds something new from the pieces.

So, what happens after we die? Nothing. That's probably the best way to describe it, because human minds and language weren't designed to describe anything outside of life. Is nothing bad? Of course not. You were nothing before you were born, and was that a bad experience? I would think it very silly for someone to say so. If anyone wants to think of this "nothing" as a new adventure into the unknown, that's fine with me. After-life? I don't think so. God? Possibly (and this is the reason I'm Agnostic) but I would only entertain the idea of a God in the likeness of Aristotle's "unmoved mover", meaning it's something almost completely out of comprehension, and meaning that this 'God' is so far removed from other properties of life that it becomes almost comical to even identify God as having intelligence or consciousness, or to assume it judges the fate of humanity any more than water, light, or the color green would judge us.

I find much greater purpose in life on my own than I could ever hope for with religion. I like studying history, and thinking about humanity's progress over a time line. Look how far we've come! Humans have survived against animal predators, ice ages, drought, plagues, wars, hurricanes, many diseases and other disasters. Even here on this forum, many suffering from mental disease, anxiety, and depression continue to live against all odds. Each moment we're breathing, we're experiencing the miracle that is life.

Pain is a blessing just as pleasure is, and every moment of it is something incredible. Imagine after suffering so much pain for years, how good you'll feel when you experience the highs of life again. It will be a high that's beyond the reach of anyone who hasn't felt the extremes that you've felt yourself. This is the beauty of sensitivity, the irony is it's probably the greatest gift of humanity, but is the hardest to control for it's full potential. It's a challenge, it's the ultimate experience of life.

High sensitivity is an attribute which threatens my existence as much as it inspires me to continue living. I feel great empathy and love towards others, and can experience unbelievable highs, passion, and energy - though I also suffer from incredible stress and anxiety, and a seemingly endless depression and insomnia at times, due to this negativity. I believe most on these boards are similar, because suicide/ depression are much more common among those who are sensitive. It could be that the fundamental difference between many sensitive people and myself is that others often reject their attributes, wanting to be emotionally impervious.

I used to feel that way, but I've come to realize I love myself for who I am, and I truly don't want to be like everyone else. Life would be too easy, it would be a milder, simpler version of existence. I feel as though I was born for challenge, and I'm beginning to realize how awesome life is. I'll never get bored, life is this great spontaneous adventure, and anything could happen. It takes longer for sensitive people to adjust to life, which is why many of us are feeling so abnormal or even labeled as "failures" or "losers" by society. It's all about how you choose to look at the situation though. I hope others can see what I'm saying, and maybe someone else will feel the same. I can honestly say I'm happier being me than anyone else on Earth, even with all my problems, and I thank all of humanity that I'm alive right now, that I've been given this gift of life. I'm ready for death to take me at any moment, but I give this honor to fate, as I feel there's too much I'd be missing out on if I were to leave life prematurely.

Humanity has been building, working, growing, constructing something monumental. Looking back at all of our history up to this point, I'm beginning to visualize something. It's like a tip of an iceberg, but the iceberg is connecting to everything else around it in many ways. I just can't dismiss this feeling, I know something is going to happen. It's just very difficult to understand completely, and even harder to explain. I want to do my part to help build, to add my own piece to this design. It's something that's supposed to happen, I feel certain that a greater purpose propels the evolution of humanity.

The thing is, I feel that everyone contributes, both the heroes of society and the criminals who destroy. The evil in this world has just as much purpose as the good, and that's part of the reason why I think criminals need to be studied rather than destroyed through the death penalty. Everyone has a purpose here. I know I'm off topic, it's just something that had to be said I suppose. I love each and every human, and truly believe each human life is precious and a miracle. It's not the kind of love felt in a pleasant state of mind, it's a genuine understanding of the significance of life, more of an unconditional love that goes beyond personal trivialities. To most people, I'm sure I seem completely detached and emotionless, and I even recognize that empty neutrality myself, but the kind of empathy and love I feel inside seems to be greater than anything that can be properly shown in facial expression anyway. Do I have a point? Maybe. Was I dropped on the head as a baby? Possibly. You decide.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  3. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Nde's have been disproven sadly. There is no heaven, after your life is over; the end. There is no point for good or evil, and they are both relative. There is no grand-plan for life in the universe. Its just a natural occurence with no divine meaning or purpose.

I would love to be proven wrong cause the truth sucks.

4. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Zohmygob, with all due respect, it hasn't been disproven. It's impossible to prove that there's no afterlife, in the same way that it's impossible to prove that there is one. This all comes down to faith again, some have it some don't. It's never too late to find it though, or so I'm told.

5. paranoidxe

paranoidxe Well-Known Member

I'm a firm believer in whatever happens happens. Religions are based on theories really, and why guess? I'm just going to live my life how I think is right and whatever happens on the otherside I'll find out later.

6. SowrongSowrong

SowrongSowrong Active Member

Sometimes i wonder if it is a meaning in it all.....
    I don't think life is religious at all. I think we have to believe in our selves

7. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Wrooong. Im talking about nde not after lifes, they have been disproved. people dont really teleport to some magical world and come back, its all in their head. All near death experiences are different they are never the same looking or the same gods, theyre usually what the person believes. There is a machine that makes people pass out and have nde's every time. Look it up im not going to seach for links. Because we cant diprove something doesnt mean its possible.

8. lebigmac

lebigmac Well-Known Member

Actually, no. There is no real reason we go through everything we do. It's just the nature of things. But thanks for trying to make me feel better.

9. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Actually that's exactly what it means. If you can't prove that no afterlife exists then there's always a chance that it does. I'm not trying to change your beliefs, I'm just trying to stop you making these strong statements that are false. I'm also not trying to hijack this thread so this is the last I'll say on the matter here unless someone moves the thread to the Soap Box.

10. Until I have a near-death experience, I will neither believe or disbelieve in them.

11. Sakura

Sakura Well-Known Member

Just because you choose not to believe in NDEs, doesn't mean that they don't exist...conversely just because I choose to believe in them, doesn't mean that they exist either.

However...with all of the thousands and thousands of cases, and evidence of NDEs that has been gathered and documented by well-educated, and knowledgeable people over the last few decades...the possiblity that NDEs actually do happen is quite large.

More Info

But as in most things, it all comes down to a question of faith, and what you do or do not choose to believe in, so let's just leave it all up to what each person feels inside, and let it remain at that ^^

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  12. Adeline

Adeline Well-Known Member

Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You can't make sweeping, simplistic statements like; "There is no heaven" and "There is no grand plan." Those things have ever been proven or disproven.

13. Syd

Syd Guest

Here's an article I found on a device that supposedly helps some people achieve spiritual experiences. I don't think anyone passes out though, so it's probably not what you were referring to. I'd probably let them strap this onto my own head if I ever got the chance to try it. ;p

God Machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.