you can still smile and be depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wastingecho

one of the things that drives me nuts is that people think that if you're depressed that you lose the ability to laugh or smile or do anything that isn't sad and mopey

told this story to someone yesterday

during the last week i was at work, i got an email from the person sitting in the cubicle next to me

he didn't mean to send it to me, because it was about me

until recently i had my own office for years and didn't have to worry about my habits bothering anyone, but when the company moved in december they decided i was only getting a cubicle

anyway this person was telling someone how my humming was making him a little crazy but he wasn't sure whether or not to talk to me about it - his last line was "well at least if he's humming he's not depressed"

when i'm buried in the pain, no i don't hum...or laugh...or smile

but that's not how it works, for me at least, 24/7

if i'm not lost to it all, i can still smile and laugh at things that are funny or hum stupid/happy/sappy songs

sometimes i wish it was the other way around because if your sad ALL the time you can get used to it - but once you get a break and it hits again, even if the pain is ACTUALLY less than before, the contrast between the two feelings is stronger and it can truly fell worse

flyingdutchmen

i can smile laugh make jokes and do all the things i use to do when i wasnt depressed yet,
but i am doubting if it is realy ment-to-be, more likely i just follow 'the rest' so yes, i can do all those things but im not realy happy doing it, it indeed makes people think you cant be depressed. Once i got a comment about it from someone saying "jeez your so funny and happy i wish i could be like you" LOL if only he knew

ASolitaryBlue

i think worse is a bloody understatement
agreed.
its those few moments when you get to laugh or hum that make everything else so bloody effing painful. they make you realize what youre missing and what you cant have. they just tease and taunt you. at least if we were depressed all the time, like echo said, you get used to it.
**hugs for everyone**

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I understand totally what you have said. At work i think our thoughts are distracted enough to allow the sadness to go away I actually try so hard to be positive at work so others around will not feel my pain or see it. I also don't think it is fair to them if i am sad while there so i joke whistle sing whatever to keep the sadness away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00