You Don't Want to Die, You Just Want the Pain to Stop...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Disappear, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

"You Don't Want to Die, You Just Want the Pain to Stop"

Yeah Dr. Phil said this to one of his troubled clients. It rang home to me though...I'm like YES! that's exactly right. But of course the pain will never stop and there is no hope so..

Anyway, just want to know if other people feel the same about this statement?
    If things were different would you really want to die? I mean aren't most suicidal people in some kind of pain?

2. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

For a sufficiently broad definition of "pain", I'd agree with that statement (which is actually a very common one). It's just that I don't think my pains are of the sort that can be stopped as long as I remain alive.

3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

"If life's not beautiful without the pain,
    well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again."

Death = release from all pain.

Sounds good to me.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well what other reason does a person seek death than release from pain?

5. Mortal Moon

Curiosity? Change of pace? Or maybe they're just plain kookoo for Cocoa Puffs. :sparkle:

But yeah, I think escaping pain is by far the most common reason.

6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

There are other reasons besides release from some perceived 'pain'. One, among many other reasons, is that you simply don't want to live nor exist anymore. Not particularly because of some 'pain,' but because of some irreversible philosophical realization that existence is mostly superficial and pointless. Why continue?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  7. fromthatshow

Wouldn't a realization such as that always lead to some form of pain? And if it did not, why would someone kill themselves over it? If their existence is painless... why would there be a need to kill yourself? I just can't imagine anyone that is relatively happy & healthy ending their life on a philosophical basis.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  8. Mortal Moon

That's why my first response came with qualifications. I assume Dr. Phil thinks that "pain" means heartbreak from breaking up with your girlfriend, or failing out of school, or something like that. For me, the concept goes much deeper and is not so mundane, or even comprehensible. The only way I can describe it is a desperate longing that I know can never be fulfilled, although I don't know exactly what it is I long for. If that makes any sense.

9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Pain? Not necessarily, no. Why kill yourself over a belief? The same reason you live for one... Where's the need to kill self if there's no pain in existence? Depends on your definition of pain. My existence isn't 'painful,' it's just pointless. You can't imagine anyone putting their necks at stake for their beliefs? It happens everyday in epic war, despite you'd put a label on it like 'courageously' or 'bravely'. Suicide is suicide is suicide.

10. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

It took me years to figure that out for myself, that I just wanted the pain to end. But sometimes it appears that suicide is the only way the pain is going to end. Catch 22. But most of the time the knowledge of that is enough to keep me going.

11. Alliance

Alliance Well-Known Member

If I had a love in my life I wouldn't want to die.

Since I'm alone in this ****ing world, yes I want to die. Since finding love seems impossible to me it is impossible for me not to be alone.

I don't want to die, but I don't want to live.

I'm ****ed either way.

12. Mortal Moon

Exactly. If I could just put my foot down and choose one or the other, I'd be content. But being stuck in the middle like this is just pure torture.

13. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

yeah i heard it before...and yeah i so agree

14. fromthatshow

What if dying is the only way to end the pain?

15. DS

DS Account Closed

for some, it may be the only way, and perhaps then, it is okay. i don't understand fighting against it...fighting is far more exhausting than simply being calm with it. I think i would prefer to hear, "it's okay. Go." for in that there is some peace.

16. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68 Account Closed

If things were different then no, I would not want to die. But I wouldn't say I'm in pain. I don't feel much of anything anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.