You have got to be freaking kidding me...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ZombiePringle, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

As many of you know I'm living with my fiance at her grandpa's house along with my daughter (of course) and my fiance's dad. Its only temporary until my fiance gets a job. Well Its freaking ridiculus...her dad is drug addict and and has done so much other crap in his life. But yet...her family treats us like crap. Her dad will sit there and steal stuff to go pawn so he can get some drugs or whatever and her grandpa will say nothing but yet if we ask to borrow maybe 20 dollars for gas or something (usually when we borrow the money he gets it back right when I get paid). And now... Somebody else is opening my mail. My bank statement to be exact. I found my bank statement opened, by a letter opener which I never use. I'm incredibly mad about this. I do not want other people looking at what I spend my money on. I have stayed quiet up to this point and have not said anything expressing my anger to them but now I think thats going to change and I am going to call my lawyer about this and see what I can do about somebody opening my bank statement.

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

You can opt out of getting bank statements via mail and check them online only. That's what I do.
    I'm not sure what the rules are via somebody already having opened your bank statement but that's flipping terrible! What business is it of theirs?

3. ZombiePringle

Yeah. I'm actually going to set it up that way. I'm furious about this.

4. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

Opening somebody else's mail is a federal offense if you are in the US.

Don't know if this helps you or not, but you are in the legal right PROVIDED the bank statement was addressed to you.

Edit: Also if you decide to pursue legal action you'll have to be able to prove that you didn't receive it sealed.

5. ZombiePringle

wow thank you. And yes it was addressed to me and my fiance. Definitely not them. And my fiance said she did not open it.

6. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Wow these people are a real piece of work! Just because they have offered you a place to stay does not give them the right to invade your lives personally or emotionally. Give them Hell hun. Tell them you're grateful for a place to stay but THAT"S IT!!! If you dont make that clear now, things will only get worse. Good luck!!

(and on the side, if you want to find out who did open it, walk around the place for the next day or so complaining about how you are soooo broke. The guilty party will not be able to listen to it and will pipe up about just exactly how much money you have. Busted!!!!)

7. ZombiePringle

they are already busted. They mentioned yesterday how much I spent on something last month. I couldn't figure out how they knew until I saw that my statement had been opened. I've been waiting for the opportunity to do as you said "give them hell" they opened up a can of worms here and they are not going to like it one bit. This should be fun for me actually.

8. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Think of it as therapy. Anger unmanagement (lol).

9. Clockwork Reality

If you really want to make an issue of this:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MLNtRcvd.aspx

Keep in mind that there would probably be a massive family falling out, though. Add this to your "bag of ammo" to prove that you really, REALLY don't like them opening your mail. I think that if you make it clear that it's a Federal offense and that you ARE willing to report it, it should clean itself up.

I love buracreacy so much. :laugh:

10. ZombiePringle

:biggrin: Thank you. I will definitely will use that. He already admitted to "reading" my bank statement he is still denying that he actually opened it. And now he is trying to play mind games and everything to cover his ass. Well he's going to learn real fast that I'm not one to play mind games with. I'll start with the mail issue and work my way up from that.

11. Clockwork Reality

I'd tell him that if it happens again, you'll report it. I wouldn't report it just yet and give him the opportunity to rectify it himself.

However, you're probably a better judge of the situation than I.