You know that film 'The Machinist?'

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shogun, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Do you think people can live lives like that in the real world? I mean go months and months with little or no sleep and still function?

I think my mother does. She's in her sixties and swears she's possessed by evil spirits and says she gets woken up as soon as she falls asleep by them, then she gets on her home made ouija board and moves the glass around all night insulting them and stuff. If you walk past her room at night after getting a glass of water or something, all you can hear is her swearing and cursing, seemingly at herself. Every single time I wake up in the night and go to make a drink or something, she's awake and usually shouting at herself in her room or up watching the TV in the front room.

The thing is, she leads a somewhat normal life. She drives to get her shopping, pay bills and general stuff that women do. About this time last year she had a small crash in her car with a parked car after going nights without sleep and had to pay over 400 quid in damages, which mostly came outta my pocket. But since then she's been fine and she never really drives far, just to get the necessities.

She's probably had a few hours sleep in the last 12 months combined. I thought this was humanly impossible, but she seems relatively fine when she's up and about. She's on strong sleeping pills too, but they don't seem to work anymore. She's always had a sleeping disorder, but never to this incredible extent. I tell her that she's insane and needs to go talk to a counsellor or someone, but she dismisses it and says that I don't understand the situation. She won't hear of getting any help.

Have any of you heard of anyone like this before? (I mean the lack of sleep part, not the insanity part)

(You might be reading this and think this is a joke or something, but I'm deadly serious about all of it)
  2. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

Good movie. I appreciated that they didn't glorify his anorexic and emaciated state, and it was just interesting psychologically.

Has your mother always believed in demons, or is this a recent change? Have any of her other behaviors changed since the car accident or in the past few years?

In any case, your mother needs to go see a (regular) doctor as soon as possible and get a complete physical. She needs to stress the insomnia situation to the doctor. She may need to see a neurologist as well. I'm not trying to scare you, but insomnia can be the result of brain injuries or lesions, as well as other neurological disorders. It can also simply be caused by hormonal changes during menopause. An M.D. can rule out these causes, or refer her to a neurologist.

I know that during a manic episode, people with bipolar disorder have a deceased need to sleep. If a physical cause has been ruled out, she needs to follow your advice and go see a psychiatrist and a clinical psychologist. I doubt she'll listen to you, however, if you call her 'crazy'. I know that you meant it well, but no one likes to be seen as incompetent or insane, and many people avoid getting the treatment they require because they fear these labels.

I hope she gets a good night sleep soon. Let us know how it's going.
  3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I have never been a person that gets the "required" amount of sleep. Since my teens ( I'm 44 now) I survived with about 4 hours of sleep each night and no naps during the day. The last 3 or 4 years I get about 2 hours of sleep a night and still "function" thoughout the day. I've been told that I have a high metabolism, that my body spends a lot of energy even when I'm still (very difficult to sit without my leg shaking or my hands doing something) so maybe that's why my body finds it so difficult to shut down for long periods of time. And my mind and thoughts are always racing. But besides the mental health issues I have I tend to be a "normal" individual (by society's definition). I dont think sleep is all it's cracked up to be!
  4. violentil

violentil Guest

Well, I've never seen the film, so I can't comment on that.

Regarding insomnia - I rarely sleep anymore, I just 'meditate'. Basically I'll lay down, close my eyes and relax. I usually find myself significantly energized in a short amount of time.

The idea that people can't function without enough sleep is a myth, it just takes a lot of willpower. I know a guy with insomnia who attends graduate school, works a part-time job, is co-editor of a magazine and still has time to hang out with friends on the weekend.

Now, it's probably not the healthiest way to live, but some of us just can't sleep. I personally think genetics of individuals plays the biggest role in such matters. We're all built differently. Remember that health nut Jim Fixx who spent all his time running and trying to stay as healthy as possible? He died in his 50s. Then you have a guy like Albert Hofmann who's used more supposedly "harmful" illicit psychedelic drugs in the course of his life than the average druggie currently serving time in our prison systems, and he's currently alive at a healthy 102 years old.

Judging from what you've posted, nothing sounds too unusual. I'm actually more concerned about the wellbeing of other pedestrians that are unlucky enough to be on the road while your mom is driving. :)
  5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

She started believing in them after my dad died of a car accident in 1987. It's just gotten worse and worse each year.

Her car accident wasn't a bad or serious one and nothing's really changed since then, she just sorta clipped a parked car.

Thanx for your reply, I'll keep you updated.
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm worried for them also and am repeatedly telling her to be careful of others on or walking by the road.

Your post makes me feel a lot better about the situation actually, I thought insomnia to this extent was unheard of until now, thank you. :)
  7. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Your mom sounds like she could be a 'spiritual medium' which is a person capable of communicating with spirits. Have you ever played the ouija board with your mom? Are you positive that she gets nearly no sleep every night? I've read about people being tormented by spirits when they tried to go to sleep. Maybe she thinks that going to sleep will cause her to be attacked?
  8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Yeah, she believes she can communicate with spirits. She believes it's the spirit of her dead mother that's tormenting her. I on the otherhand have never used the ouija board because I don't believe in stuff like that. I'm positive she gets nearly no sleep everynight too.

She believes she's being attacked in her sleep and that they stop her from sleeping. Everytime an appliance breaks in our house, she reckons it's the ghosts or spirits or whatever. I'm quite worried about her sanity if I'm honest.
  9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

She could have a point. There are really nasty demonic entities out there. You ever watch the show 'A Haunting?' Have you ever seen anything out of the ordinary happen at your home like things flying around, doors closing or lights being turned on and off? I've even read about women who have been sexually assaulted in their sleep by demons. Now that's freaky.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.