You know what makes me want to live?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by codkid, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codkid

codkid Member

Science. The advancement of civilization. The future.

Imagine, being cryonically frozen, waking up in 500 years where poverty, political differences, the threat of nuclear war, suicide, cancer, alzheimers, paralysis, social anxiety, are all a thing of the past.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that our civilization - our SPECIES - are still soooo primitive. We haven't even scratched the surface of potential for what can be done in regards to advancements in biotechnology, computer science, space technology, nanotechnology, medicine, neurology - I can go on and on and on but I won't. Anyways, whenever I'm feeling blue, and I mean REALLY BLUE, I just think about the future, and how someday if I ride out this thing called life long enough, I may be able to experience that future.

I'm a transhumanist, and some of you may think my ideals are far fetched, but they really are not, and more and more people are beginning to realize this everyday. Anyway, these ideas are what keep me going.

If you want more information about the possibilities of the future and what you could potentially be a part of check out this info:
  2. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

I wish i was that optimistic about the future, i envy you.
    I see humans more as a selfdestructive species, the ravages of pollution are an impending doom.

Poverty, unemployement, ghettos are going to be more common in the future.

But perhaps science will prevent pollution to do more damage, who knows.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
  3. protomoonzero

protomoonzero Member

I have to agree with Arthur.
    So many millions of years have humans roamed the earth. But apart from a few new shiny gadges, we are still driven by the same primal urges.

Unless we find a way to clone our species to perfection, I doubt we'll change on our own.
  4. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

I agree with my friend Arthur on this one. Mankind has proved itself again and again to be self destructive and a species that bullies and tortures the planet we live on.Maybe the circle will one day become complete, but this will only occur once we have trashed the planet and ourselves.
    Then maybe, just maybe, will we start to respect others and our enviroment that we live in.
    Britian has become so diverse and multi cultural and i embrace that with open, loving arms. Maybe we can become the template for true change, the barriers of hate, nationality and segregation torn down, with a new way of doing things.
    A world where there are no borders, a world where there is no racism, a world where there is an acceptence and love for all religions.
    Then, and only then does mankind have a chance of salvation.
    I hope it happens.
  5. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

I also agree with ppl above. In my country ppl have lived better 30 years ago than now, its extremely high unemployment rate. People still kill each other, degradation of moral standards is higher than ever, the earth has been more polluted for last 50 years than since it exists.
  6. codkid

codkid Member

All of your concerns are legitimate. It's hard to believe in what im saying if you don't understand the whole picture. Please take some time to at least read the wikipedia link I posted above. Understand that as of now, all those things mentioned above such as poverty and murder are definitely a reality. What transhumanism stresses is the ability to overcome those problems with technology. I'll give you an example. Through nanotechnology, there is a method of creation called "self assembly". This is the ability to create "something" out of "nothing". Think alchemy (turning other metals into gold) or the "replicator" from star trek. Basically in self assembly, resources can be created out of other useless recyclable items from the atom up. Scientists are already working on these things as we speak. It is no longer science fiction. Through something like this we could create a surplus of resources, virtually ending poverty as we know it, and along with it, most crime. It may take 500 years to do so (probably less) but I'm willing to wait it out by getting cryonically frozen. It's pretty hard to persuade someone in one conversation though since there are so many aspects to transhumanism. Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
  7. codkid

codkid Member

I like what you're thinking.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.