You know you're a self harmer when...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by SashaJade, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SashaJade

SashaJade Well-Known Member

Okay; So i'm part of another forum and they have this thread there. Some ideas may be comical, some more serious. Feel free to add to the list :D Forgive me if i'm repeating someone else's thread on SF...

• You always seem to be the "prepared" one in an emergency and start whipping out the first aid supplies.
    • When you look around in public, hoping for a scar on an arm. hoping to find someone like you.
    • When "Caution! Sharp" warning labels make you laugh. Well na you idiots.
    • When your legs have to remain hairy because you have no razors left to shave with.
    • Long sleeves, bracelets and armwarmers are "normal" clothing. Even in summer.
    • When you thought you had lost a sharp only to find it a week later by shoving your hand into the bottom of you're handbag and become impaled on it. (not nice!)
    • You put your arms into strange postitions during everyday life just to make sure your sleeves don't roll up to show your scars.

Again; feel free to add your own ideas.
    Sasha x

2. oval

oval Well-Known Member

i love those! esspecially searching for scars in public and wanting to find someone like you. thanks for sharing that.

also, everytime i hear the word cut like getting your hair cut, cut it out, cut yourself some slack, i think of one thing.

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

great list. very funny, true too.

4. SashaJade

• You wear black nail varnish cos you can't get all blood out from under your nails.
    • You see someone with a bandage/plaster on there arm and automatically assume its self inflicted...
    • You have a whole shoe box full of medical supplies "just in case".
    • You have to check your bedroom before you leave for incriminating evidence.
    • You know how to take apart disposable razors.
    • Everytime you go into a pharmacy you buy more blades and medical supplies even though you have enough already.
    • You always carry a sharp object on you at all times; for emergencies.
    • Nearly all of your clothes have had blood on them at some point.
    • Cut along the dotted line... always makes you giggle.
    • You are an expert at hide and seek...
    • You get fully dressed to go the bathroom in the middle of the night just in case some one is awake and will see the state of your arms/legs.

5. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

These are so true. I'm glad I found this thread.

6. Charmed

Charmed Member

I like this thread :)

- you have a ready supply of excuses
    - you have more long sleeved tops than the average person
    - when a reason is given as to why someone else has hurt themselves you automatically assume they are lying

7. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Or mentally file it away to use yourself one day.

8. Oloriel

Oloriel Well-Known Member

This thread makes me smile. I have to be able to laugh at myself, or I won't be able to stop crying.

A friend of mine once got a small cut while staying over at my place, and she asked if I had a band-aid. I said, "Girl, please, I self-harm, I ALWAYS have band-aids. Want some neosporin for that too?" It's nice to have a few friends you can trust.

9. the_snowcub

the_snowcub Active Member

I was in work, acting as supervisor when a young lad came up and asked for a plaster because he had but himself. I looked at his "cut" and thought ...... no - that is not a cut, now THIS is a cut, thought better of it though.

10. SashaJade

I went to buy more dressings in boots today cos i'd run out...

The woman at the counter said "We stock larger ones behind the counter if you need them..." I instantly thought she's looking at my arms and thinking she needs them!!

So yeah... you get paranoid about it all the time!

11. Green.Triceratops

Green.Triceratops Account Closed

You flinch when people touch your arms.

You keep a blade sharpener with your tools.

You wear long sleeves or armwarmers to bed.

Theres a bloody towell hidden in your room that youve been meaning to wash/dispose of.

You fantasize about opening your arm open with one giant cut.

Thats all i got for now.

12. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

You subconciously always hold the inside of your wrist towards you, or keeping your hands in your pockets.

I've never noticed it but I've always kept my hands close to myself...like I was hiding something(I haven't cut on my wrists for years, but I still seem to act as though I do :unsure:).

13. sbuck

sbuck Well-Known Member

i like this. the biggest one for me has always been:

you write. [no matter what method you use, you wind up with words scarred onto you. thats always seems to be the turning point for people, when they know its getting bad.]

14. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

youre thinking of excuses before any one even speaks to you

you think stanley is a funny name

you get anxious when you cant find your choice of self harm

15. lucymorgan

lucymorgan Active Member

Haha this is ridiculously true! After 5 years I am now an absolute professional at taking apart disposable razors, and never have any left for beautifying :( Also, the number of times i've impaled myself in my sodding handbag! Still to this day I haven't thought up a non-hilarious excuse. I accidently once said ".... I fell off my bike as a child" and now I struggle to think of ANYTHING else, so it's stuck! I think it's that or "Once I fed my cat dog food, and, my God..."

16. Green.Triceratops

Green.Triceratops Account Closed

Lol!!!! That is such a good excuse. I may have to store that one away, thanks.

17. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Random pairs of pyjama bottoms become a mopping up device and/or a bandage

18. nelci

nelci Member

Your a 20 year old "tom-boy" that hates wearing skirts hehe, no one knows ^_^

19. crimsonangel

crimsonangel Member

I always used the excuse that my horse ran me through barbed wire. Can't use that since I have a ton more all over where it wouldn't of got me. So now I just hide them!

The list is quite amazing though!!

20. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

the only thing you seem to look forward to is cutting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.