"You never know what tomorrow brings" Bull crap!!!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by HomerSimpson, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

You always hear that saying because it is supposed to make you feel better, give you hope. Well IMO its utter bull crap. For the last five years I have waited for that "day" to come and guess what it hasnt. I am 34 and have nothing. I have lost all my friends because I withdrew frome them. I have lost all hope, all desires and dreams. No motivation to live nor a purpose to live. Why in the hell cant I just say enough and end it!
  2. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

Things aren't that easy nor will they ever be. Ergo, the quote "you never know what tomorrow will bring" sucks; it's misleading. Tomorrow won't just show up at your door with some free package of happiness. "That 'day'" doesn't just come on its own. You've got to stop waiting and make.

Sometimes when we feel shitty, we don't know what else to do but curl up in our little shell of complacency and lock everyone else out. But, logically speaking, of course things aren't going to get better if you withdraw from all of your friends. It's a tough step to achieve, but gradually rebuild your social life and maybe you'll be progressively able to feel better about yourself. If you had friends before then it's not that you don't have them now because you can't make them, but because you don't want to. If you really desire for "that 'day'" to come, you have to make the effort.

Feels like that sometimes. Build up your external life first, and the internal one will fall into place as well. Make something of your environment, change your residence if you've got the means, take a breather from living in your cage of negativity, and maybe these hopes, desires, and dreams will come back to you as they should.

Easier said than done, but so what. So's everything.

It's not life's job to give you that purpose, it's yours. I know it's tough when Depression has you by the throat but it can be done.

No one can stop you from that.

However, it might be better you didn't do anything drastic, because you never know what YOU can bring to TOMORROW. Bring something to tomorrow; that'll give you the purpose which you chase.

Something has got to change before the way you feel will, and you're the only one who can make that change. Don't expect anything from anyone but yourself, because things are rarely handed to anyone without a fuss.

It's all baby steps, though. Even posting about the way you feel's a step. Reward yourself for every small feat and keep making them until they aren't feats, but habits.

My PM box's open if you need an ear. :hug: You have my sincere best wishes :hug:
  3. Fishman

Fishman Guest

Yeah I hate that saying and how its up to you to make the best of life....most things in life are based on random chance, and they say the supposed best years are over for me...
  4. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

You know what's odd.....I waited and things only seemed to get worse but every time things get to the last straw something good seems to happen...of course it's never perfect and bad things still happen but I never imagined I'd be where I am now after all that has happened to me. I am one who believes in fate but then I know I am blessed as many others don't have what I have. I truly hate that good things don't always happen in time for those who deserve/need them. :( I dunno. Hopefully good things will soon come to everyone here.
  5. aki

aki Well-Known Member

'bull crap' lol:biggrin:

personally, i believe in that phrase. it's just that for some people good things happen more often but other people's lives will not improve. in the end, it's just the mystery, uncertainty and excitement of life. it's all do with hope. a lot of people live for dreams but others lose their hope through continual disappointment. but there's opportunity for anyone's life to change.
  6. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

I agree with the hope thing...I amazingly seem to have relentless hope..at times it's the hoping and dreaming that were far better. I have often found that getting something we truly desire is wonderful but it's never quite as we imagined it to be....except my love because he is more than I imagined or hoped for..no hes not perfect and neither is our relationship...but it's amazing in that it's perfectly what I was looking for..sorry....had to throw that in there.
  7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i'm a big believer in tomorrows. at 42 i've had so many experiences that i never imagined possible when i fought my first battle with depression and suicide 30 years ago (yes, i was 12)... when my depression returns it is never exactly the same, although the first thing i tell myself is that "i have always felt this way."

even this time, i know more than i did 4 months ago; i know how to ask for help, how to sit through the pain with getting high, cutting, or attempting; i know more about the lies that depression tells me. so even if the struggle feels familiar, i am wiser than i was yesterday. and that will keep me going.

you have struggled with depression and suicide for 5 years. you are an incredibly strong person to have lived through this.

what do you imagine 'that day' to look like? is it a day free from depression? a better job or living situation? new friends or relationship? i believe we get there by making small, incremental changes in our situation. the psych nurse taught me about putting 'actions' before 'motivation' or feelings when recovering from depression. and by 'actions' we started small: get dressed. get out of the house. walk for 5 minutes and then we built on it.

you have everything already within you to make a better tomorrow for yourself. you have suffered a great deal but you also have incredible strength.
  8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Well, the truth is you really never know what tomorrow will bring. I think you've misinterpreted what this is trying to say. It isn't saying that tomorrow is going to be a better day than today was. It's saying that it could be better or worse. The truth is you really never know. But if you're waiting for some miracle to happen and make everything all better, then you're going to have to keep waiting for the rest of your life. God helps those who help themselves, so you have to make a good, honest effort to reclaim your life. Even at 34, it's not over yet. It can get better. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.