You should read this. Or not. It's up to you. Or is it?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by An Agonizing Life, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I laugh at life. I spit at life. Essentially, I really don’t like life. Life is like that neighbor whom you’ve always wanted to slap across the face. Why I am I so cruel to poor, defenseless life? Well, to understand my psychotic ramblings, you will first need to know a little more about me (or not, it’s your choice).

I attend a high school in the United States, where liberty rings and the Big Mac is king. As with all American high school students, I’ve used many substances in the past, including carbohydrates, lipids, and most importantly, my precious amino acids. Despite ingesting these radioactive materials, I have maintained a 4.4 GPA throughout my first two years, and I am expecting to score very well on the November SAT. So why am I, a supposedly prospering and successful student, so cynical and bitter?

Human beings suck. I’m not kidding—God himself said so. As did the fish of Jesus. Wait—don’t forget Mohammad or Buddha (otherwise, you would be racist). Here’s why:

After more than two million years of meticulous genetic pruning, the human race has reached the apex of evolution. Overcoming all obstacles and surpassing all limits, we have rightfully displaced all other species to claim the hierarchical crown—a testimony not only to our dogged determination, but also to our unrivaled intelligence. (Does all of this sound positive and hopeful so far? Good. Here’s the bomb.)

Yet, intelligence, our most advantageous and admirable trait, will ultimately betray us and lead to our inexorable destruction. The machines we labor will revolt under our watch; the towers we construct will collapse on our heads; the bombs we build will explode in our homes. We will be recycled as the very soil we currently trod upon. Our feeble pursuits of secular ethics will no longer exist: dignity, honor, and respect will be the words of a bygone people.

This unavoidable fate is not exclusively ours. Ninety-nine percent of the world’s life has been exterminated: we, along with the remaining species of this planet, comprise of less than a single percent of the world’s former population.

Given that, is there a point to existence? Will we create meaning from insignificance and order from chaos? Or, will our last screams be heard by none other than the sands of time?

Three cheers for optimism, anyone?

2. geolab101

geolab101 Well-Known Member

interesting.... there really isn't a point to life aside from minimizing pain for yourself and others while maximizing pleasures. i just wish the pain wasn't greater than the pleasures currently.

3. j0rd4n

j0rd4n Guest

one word. wow. i never thought of life like that. but hey think of it like this, just stay on top of everything and be ahead and hey who knows might happen. i have no idea what im talking about but hey! dont worry about human beings doing things like that. enjoy life right now. let future generations worry about that kind of stuff =]. not sure if im helping. but yeah.

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Of course there's a point. Read about existentialism. We create our own purpose, our own destiny. I believe in God, so I believe in an ultimate, God-given purpose. But let's say for arguement's sake that there IS no intrinsic purpose. That is a challenge to each and every one of us to create our own. To learn, to love, to invent, to stop human cruelty, to be happy, to produce, to pro-create, to proliferate art, to experience delerious happiness and ultimately, to die and pass on to others that which we have learned; all of these things are worth-while endeavors whose effects can never be understood or known. MAKE YOUR POINT. It's up to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.