Young Irish Guy New To This - Don't Know What To Say!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by galwayguy, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galwayguy

galwayguy Member

hi all i really dont know what to say or do. i just know that ive considered suicide numerous times and dont know what to do to get out of this way of thinking.

2. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Only option here is to start talking about it sir!

Welcome to the forum

3. galwayguy

galwayguy Member

over the last few weeks ive started drinkin more often and in larger quantities to try and forget about financial problems, and after a recent split with a partner.

i hate the thought of being alone and just crave someone to hug and talk too. ive tried bringing my situation up with some friends without going into too much detail at first but no one seems to want to help or show any interest.

ive just started thinkin lately susicide is an easy option to the depression im feeling all the time.

4. galwayguy

galwayguy Member

ive also tried sending friends messages hinting at the fact that im considering suicide to try and get their attention to the matter but everyone just thinks im looking for attention.

its so hard. i just dont know who to turn to.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hi, and welcome.

i am glad you joined here. i don't think you'll find anyone here who thinks you are "attention seeking"... instead we want to support you in this difficult time.

i'm sorry your friends are not getting your hints. do you think you might work up the nerve to tell one of them, straight up, how low you are feeling? i'd understand if you weren't ready to do that, but for people who aren't suicidal, it's just so far from their experience they might not even understand that you are seriously considering it. we live with these feelings every day, so we don't understand why they don't get it.

as for other supports: the hse run a suicide hotline -- not sure if galway is in the 'region' for the hotline but i'll give you the number -- 1 800 742 745.
    i have called them before and i can tell you they are great, non judgemental, very calm, very supportive. program the # into your phone, and stick a copy of the number in every room in the house.

there is also is pieta house -- www.pieta.ie -- they are in dublin but anyone can call. they might now about resources closer to you.

i'm probably overwhelming you with information, but the final resource i want to tell you about is the community mental health teams that work from your local hospital. these are people who will help you deal with depression, and help you come back from the brink of feeling suicidal. you can access them through your doctor.

it may take some time until you are ready to access any of these services, but i want you to know that they are out there and that you do not have to struggle with these feelings alone.

catherine

6. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Pick a friend/family member whom you trust the most, whom you think will be concerned and try to help you, then tell them how you're feeling, what you're thinking, and that you'd just like someone to talk to.

Hints may put pressure on people to "check up" on you, and they may be afraid to stick their neck out. Let them know up front and also let them know that you're only asking for an ear to vent into.

7. galwayguy

galwayguy Member

thanks for the info on the last two posts. i have looked up many different orgs that help with these feeling but cant build up the courage to call them at the moment.

there is no one in my family i feel i can turn to at this point. there is a friend of mine who now lives in the uk but is back in ireland at the weekends who i have known for some time and have tried talking to and he's gonna have a chat with me over the weekend he said.

although ive said nothing about suicide or depression to him as of yet i think he has a fair idea something is up with me.

the only person i really want to talk to tho is my ex. ive text messaged them over the last 24 hours begging to talk and saying that i need someone to talk to but am not getting any replies. i'm wondering now how to tell them im feeling depressed and suicidal without coming across so strong. and i also have feeling that they will just think its some sick way of trying to get back with them and attention seeking.

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

hey galwayguy!
    welcome to the forum :welcome:
    hmm, maybe if you find it hard to call the samaratins you could always email them. I hope you find the help and support you need here :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  9. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

emailing the samaritans or similar is a very good idea btw.

its possible your ex just hasnt got the texts yet as well - are you on good(ish) terms or not.

10. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

your ex may be trying to put some distance between you now that the relationship is over. i know that's gotta hurt, but you do have your other friend who is back on the weekends. do tell them how you are feeling, and maybe you can figure out next steps together. the advantage of professional supports, once you reach out for them, is that they can help untangle your thinking around this. friends can, too, but it's much harder for them 'cos they don't know all the tricks that your suicidal brain can play on you....

don't give up trying to find someone to share your feelings with.

sometimes our friends can accidentally say the wrong thing (like "snap out of it" or "what do you have to be so depressed about") so just in case that happens please don't be discouraged. it just means they don't know the rirst thing about depression. try another friend.

11. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

First up, welcome to the forum hon...I hope it gives you a place where you will feel comfortable enough to talk about all that is troubling you..

Please understand that no one will judge you here..Whatever you write, someone one here has probably been through similar emotions..I am not saying that we have the answers, only that you will be listened to..

The organisations that other members have suggested are there for you and all you have to do is reach out..And if you still feel you cannot do so, then just post here..You are not alone..

I so hope you continue to post on here..And send you peaceful thoughts from across the Irish Sea.. x

12. galwayguy

galwayguy Member

my ex finally replied and said that they didnt have enough time with college exams and moving house to meet me at the moment. i also have the feelin that they just think im crying for attention and this is some sick stunt.

i'm gonna try and stop drinking as i think that this can sometimes be a trigger to my low periods on occasion.

i've tried to talk to some of my friends, but my constant mood swings and bad feelings seem to have pushed so many people away.

i also tried contacting the samaritans through their e-mail support system but find it very impersonal soim going to try and build up the courage to call them, im just so scared that people will think im just doing this as an attention seeking stunt.

im really not sure what to do next if i cant build up the courage to contact one of these support groups in person.

13. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i found samaritans a little to "non-directive" (but that's their mission after all, to listen, and not offer advice). the HSE hotline worked better for me. it's just different approaches, and each have their place.

when i called i was on the verge of attempting (really, i was just hours away sitting at home drinking and waiting for the tide to come in) and i thought "oh what the hell, i might as well try one of the phone lines to see if they are any good. at least that way i can say i tried everything before i leave this planet" i was pleasantly surprised by how helpful it was for me. just having someone listen to you, to how truly horrible you feel about yourself, and not judging you was such a relief.

i think you are being hardest on yourself. the phone line, and those other supports, won't think you are attention seeking, and will be there if you work up the courage to reach out. if you don't, just know they are there when you are ready. we're here all the time!

14. galwayguy

galwayguy Member

15. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

It's important to seek help. I've been to a support group, and it definitely has its perks and downfalls. Some days you will walk out feeling more depressed, because the negative karma that everyone has will resolve around you. But other times you'll leave with some hope, knowing that people care about you, and that at least through someone else's eyes, you will do just fine.

16. galwayguy

galwayguy Member

i just found out my ex is now seeing someone else already so wasnt a really good day. tried to hide it by wishing him well and saying how lucky the other guy is but just dont know what to do now.

i had hoped that we would get back together but now this has happened i just dont have any hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.