Younger girls/older guys.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Corieh Infected, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Corieh Infected

Corieh Infected Well-Known Member

So yah. o.o; Why is it such a big deal for a younger girl to be in a relationship with an older guy? Like, a 15 year old and a 22 year old. What's so wrong about that? I mean if they want to be in the relationship, why is it frowned upon. o.o; I just don't get it.

2. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Because it's illegal in the United States. :dunno:

3. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

I was 14 and dating a 24 yr old so I suppose it's just you have to be careful. But now I'm with a younger man. Who would have thought that?? :blink:

4. Corieh Infected

Yah, but why is it illegal? o.o;
    I was talking to my mom about it, and I don't get it.
    I mean.. If the kid chooses to be with someone older.
    Shouldn't they be allowed to?
    I mean, parents can say no.
    But why does the law have to get involved?

5. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

"What Does The Age of Consent Mean?

The age of consent is the age when the law says you can agree to have sex. In most countries it means until you reach this age you can not legally have sex with anyone, regardless of their age old. In the United States and Canada this is the same situation. Sometimes the law is different if you are female or male.

"Our Parents Say It's Okay and We Do it in Their House."
    This may sound odd to some, but this is the case in some households. HOWEVER, this does not make any difference in the eyes of the law! Your parents don't make the laws of your state or province. The age of consent laws always apply, no judge will care if you're in love, or if you've been together for years, or you've had sex before.

Why Do We Have These Laws?
    Although many young people are mature enough to know how to deal with the consequences of sex, some teens are not grown up enough to know that their actions have consequences. Age of consent laws are there to stop young people from being exploited by adults."

Quoted from here.

6. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Please don't take this offensively but, the law gets involved b/c a 14 year old doesn't really have any idea about sex. They don't fully understand the repercussions fo their actions. They do not have money to buy protection, pay for a baby if it happened, or pay for the drs. when they get an std.

The legal age of consent is 18 for a reason and if you think of it logically what does a 14 year old and 22 year old have in common??

7. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

The whole sex with a minor thing... it can look a bit dodgey when it comes to the law. The law is there to protect everyone, especially the younger generations when it comes to things like this. A 15 yo can be vulnerable and the barrier is there to stop them from getting hurt (physically and/or mentally) and also, for the adult to dodge complications (they may not mean any harm, or they might, who knows). Basically, the age of consent is there for a good reason.

I know you're not directly talking about age of consent but I'm sure this has something to do with the reason why some look down on the age difference between 15 and 22.

8. sophie_b

sophie_b Well-Known Member

i always thought that youger girls being with older guys was weird until i was one of the young girls. my ex was 16years my senior, and honestly the age didnt make any difference for me. i loved him no matter what.
    but i do think that laws are there for a reason.
    xx

9. Corieh Infected

I'm not exactly saying it has to be a sexual relationship, but even a young girl and older guy talking is frowned upon. A 15 year old and 22 year old can have lots in common, it depends on the maturity. Granted though, not all 15 year olds are mature enough, but the 22 year old could be a bit immature, or there could even be factors in their life that they have in common.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and you didn't offend me Kanani.

10. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

if ~both~ people want the relationship then there;s nothing wrong with it....as long as it's not a sexual relationship

11. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I was 16 when I met my now husband.. He was 35.. Yes, it was a sexual relationship.. Yes, it was legal (16 is legal in the state I live in)... So I see nothing wrong with it when its two normal people.. If it was a mentally impaired person being the younger I can see where the problem would arise as the younger person being mentally impaired may not be fully able to understand...

12. italia38

italia38 Member

I really don't understand why there's an AoC to begin with, I agree with the author of the thread that it's kind of baffling. The government, I think, should stay out of consensual relationships.

13. HelpingHand

HelpingHand Active Member

I have heard of a 15 yo girl having sex with a old man.

Some people ask "what is wrong with that old man??"
    I ask "what is wrong with that young girl??"

14. italia38

italia38 Member

What? There's nothing wrong with either of them. It didn't scar her for life, did it?

15. jessikah2k8

jessikah2k8 Well-Known Member

I am 15. I am going out with an 18 year old, who is nearly 19. I PREFER the older man. Especially those at least 18. Not for sex- but because they are mature and treat you with respect. I talk to 32 year old men. Because they are good friends. Nothing more. But I can relate more to older men. I can seriously see myself in the future, being like ThoseEmptyWalls, and marrying an older man. I can relate to them more.

16. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I don't get it either. Like you say, lots of 15 year olds are sexually active and wanting relationships and feel mature. It depends on the relationship. Perhaps a 22 year old and 15 year old could get along fine. But I'd be wanting to get into the head of that 22 year old to know his intentions. Also maturity is a process, a lot of people above the age of consent aren't 'emotionally mature' and are still 'vulnerable.'. I don't fully understand the age of consent myself. From personal experience though, I'm wary of older men preying on girls outside schools. I've just heard bad stories from my sister of men forcing themselves on her...

17. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I don't think it's wrong as long as nothing sexual is going on.

18. italia38

italia38 Member

In my experience, what is illegal is not always what is morally wrong.

19. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

But thats the whole point. If the person is under the age of consent they are not deemed psychologically mature enough to give that consent to someone older. And there is all this science behind it about brain pattern development ect, its not just picked from the sky.

20. Brokenx

Brokenx Active Member

Its Illegal in every country.
    I was with a 28 year old at 17 and now i agree, older men are no good.