YOUR battles with tobacco..

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jimk, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

have found many other members here are in what resembles a war trying to kick the nicotine habit.. hopes are that others will post here with details and their thoughts and feelings here.. maybe we can listen and give some support and help for each other then..

have had the habit for about 47 years now adn though kicked myself of many ohter bad habits smoking is a much tougher beast for me to get a handle on and get rid of .. cause of son johnny the need to kick is really very important to me on so many fronts..

debating today about whether to go buy a couple more packs of marlboros, or a carton or not buy anymore.. javen't made up my mind yet....lol personally the rock of gibratltar attitude wavers a lot in me.. resolute always seems to waiver and then collapse shortly after...

Jim and son Johnny

2. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I find it helped me to cut down by buying single packs rather than cartons... true, it was more expensive and it was inconvenient having to go out to buy more all the time, but I did it that way intentionally - I figured I'd smoke less if I knew that I only had so many in a pack before I had to go out and buy another. It did help. I also found myself just smoking half a cigarette and saving the other half for later to conserve what I had. Some people find it gross to relight an old cigarette, but it never bothered me. Besides, they say you get the nicotine you need in the first few puffs anyway. No sense in smoking a whole cigarette when you only need half to get your fix - it's enough to stop the urge, yet you're only getting half the tar and carcinogens. It's not a perfect solution to kicking the habit, but it's a start in the right direction.

3. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

hi Wolf.. thanks for your thoughts on thei damn topic... right now i hate the bloody things.. other times i am like the little bitch being held by the chasins i feel i will never be able to do without... right now middle ground..lol

going to buy a couple of packs at a time when running almost out.. early morning ashtray and the marlboros on trhe coffee table and some smoking while johnny still asleep. then move alll of it to the garage on an obscure shelf.. so johnny does not have to breathe my stench.. wolf you are right not in comfort on the couch a couple of pufffs on the damn things and put it out and save it for later sort of works for me... loses a lot of its charms that way..

the quit for life smoking cessatgion program i am enrolled in again for the upteen time has my quit date as the 22nd.. meaning they willl call me then expecting rosy cheery talk about how i have quit.. that may or may not be waht they expect to hear out of me then; this habit has me firmly in it's grips by the balls and soul.. will do what i can fore the 22nd to cut down and show some restraints...

almost enuf for me to try and get religion..lol probably not.. do not really want to become anohter brainwashed zealot.. Jim and John

4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Hah, if they expect everyone to quit by their set quit dates, they're kidding themselves. Even half the people who do manage to successfully quit for a while usually end up starting up again 6 months later. It's a damn hard habit to break.

Another thing that helped me quit was when they outlawed indoor smoking around here... I already didn't smoke in my house, it was something I was expected to go out to the garage to do (wife didn't want me stinking up the house - fair enough)... but then on top of that, having to go outside in the winter to smoke - I live in the midwest, mind you... 5 degrees Fahrenheit and blowing snow outside in January... it was not a pleasant experience at all. I usually found myself putting cigarettes out halfway through just because it was so damn cold out that it wasn't worth it anymore. Nicotine versus cozy warm shelter from the elements - I'll be damned if the nicotine didn't win half those battles, which goes to show you just how addictive it really is that I was willing to risk possible frostbite just to get my fix...

Ehh not so sure that religion would help. You'd probably have more luck with hypnosis or shock therapy, lol. Not that I'm suggesting those either - well, hypnosis is probably harmless. Probably...

Anyway, good luck with the program - I can say that after over 2 years of being nicotine free, I really don't have much desire to smoke again, so it does get easier eventually. Sometimes I do look back fondly on it and wonder what it would be like if I tried to smoke one now, but it's more just a passing nostalgia than anything else, certainly not a strong enough urge to make me go out and buy a pack. The last thing I need right now is another unhealthy addiction in my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.