Your claim to fame from history

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Moat, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I was meaning to post this some days ago, but only got around to it now, since i took a few days off and now that I was reminded of it by Aunt when speaking with her on the phone a few hours ago, I thought it would be a good time to post a topic like this:

Do you or anyone in your family (perhaps everyone in your family blood-line) have any claim to fame from a history, which could be that one of your ancestors were related to someone famous from the American Civil War, someone in your family who fought in WW1 or WW2 or either Korea or the Vietnam Wars or just something else entirely that has forever left an imprint on history?

For me, imy family ties go back to my grant-grandmother, who was born and raised in England and she had booked tickets and passage on the newly built ship, the Titanic, for its maiden voyage across the Atlantic Ocean to the east coast of America, but at the very last minute, she decided for some reason not to board the boat and take the journey, and stayed behind in Liverpool. All of her belongings and bags she had owned had already been put aboard ship, so she was unable to retrieve them (or did not want to, we will never know) so after the Titanic sank in 1912, all of her belongings are now part of the Titanic wreck on the bottom of the Atlantic, along with those unfortunate souls who perished in that unprecedented disaster, so that the one link that my family has (on my late mother's side of the family) to have a real, physical connection to a truly historic time in history.
    We unable to find out why she decided not to board at the last minute (as she died years before I was even born and never spoke of it to anyone else in the family), so there is a little bit of a mystery and a little bit of wonder at the circumstances that made her not board the ship right before it set off for its Maiden Voyage.

Anyway, that is my story - does anyone else have stories they would like to share about their family's claim to fame (or infamy, I guess I should say, in my case)?
    I feel this topic would be really enlightening and educational for all, and serve to help us remember all that has happened in the past.

2. Shasha Elfond

Shasha Elfond Member

Ten generations back one of my ancestors was a captain on the Mayflower, thats home my family go to America. Thought that was cool

3. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

My great grandfather was in the resistance during the German occupation. He got a uhm goblet? An award type thing for intelligence work for the resistance, it's passed down. He had a revolver, my father told a funny story about when they found that, they were cleaning in my grandfather's house and my grandfather just entered the room with a FRICKIN GUN in his hand like "look what I found"
    Also kept a radio, which was banned by the Germans. There's a cool photo of the day ww2 ended of my great grandfather on the balcony with the radio and over a hundred people below listening to the broadcast.

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

My great uncle , was trapped on the Dunkirk beaches with half his leg blown off.
    He said he and a fellow soldier had given up, when out of the mist 2 Cornish man, in a rowing boat, grabbed them both and rowed them to safety.
    My Grandfather, who wasn't allowed in the army, due to flat feet, won the George Cross for rescuing people in the blitz.

5. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

My English grandmother was the driver for one of the generals during WW2, and actually outranked my grandfather at that time. They got married during the war when supplies were sparse; all their friends in the company gave them their sugar and other rations for the wedding cake.

On my dad's side we are descended from a bastard of one of the Duke's of Mecklenburg. Not sure which one but my guess is that the Duke lived during the late 1700s or early 1800s. Again on my dad's side we can trace our family back to the passengers on the Mayflower.

During the war both my grandfathers were present at D Day. My American grandfather was incredibly lucky to have survived that time, in fact both were, but if things had gone slightly differently one of them would not had made it out alive. He and two other soldiers ran to a slight over hang in a hill. It was just barely large enough for them all, and my grandfather was the second one in. There was some gunfire, and the third soldier, who was last one in and as a consequence was on the outside, was killed. He was the only reason why my grandfather and the other soldier survived, and because of that his death was not in vain however unfortunate it was.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  6. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Really? My pop was a driver in Europe and Africa during WW2, tasked with helping to collect all the bodies. At that time, he was writing to a woman who lived in London (where he was also from) and worked as a secretary in a naval base and that led them to be married after the war, and my very existence.

7. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Yep, my granddad and great uncles were in WWII. Granddad was a radar operator on a destroyer in the Pacific front. He also served in Korea later on. He struggled with PTSD from the war for many years after. It was only in his final few years that he was willing to speak about his involvement in the war with any degree of specificity. Died happy and of natural causes only a couple years back, age 87. Great uncles were all air force, i think. All of them survived.

8. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Here, I've got a picture of granddad on his ship. This is him and the rest of the radar/sonar team. He is the guy in the middle front (third from left).

USSHalford.jpg

9. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I don't know if it was my great grandfather or further back who helped build the first bicycle in Denmark; my family has been black-smiths for so many centuries... (until my grandfather became a barber)

The story also goes that not only did he help build it, but the day it was revealed the Danish king had to ride it, and my ancestor had to teach him how.

The joke is that I can't ride a bike...

10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

None that I know of, that were famous to the point where people would know about them, but there have been some cool people in my family. A cousin worked for NASA, my grandma helped make parts for something dealing with Apollo 15 and got a letter of commendation from President Nixon. My great-grandpa was the alderman for our town and had one of the biggest funerals ever known there. He must have really been well-liked.

11. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Wow, I had n idea so many people had a claim to history! # #
    I treally make you think,that if just one thing was different, we would not exist, so it really makes you think of circumstances that led to you and me being born!

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.