Your experiences of dissociation?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by DannyBoi, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyBoi

DannyBoi Well-Known Member

Not sure if a threads been made on this previously but what are your experiences of dissociation?

Mine usually involve a feeling of unreality. I can see and understand whats going on (to a small extent), but at the same time nothing makes sense, sorta dream like. Though I'm unsure whether this is dissociation or actually derealisation. I either sit and stare into space or slowly look at individual things one at a time, and poke them. Guess I'm a freak in that respect XD I also don't talk at all. I know I can talk, at least I feel like I have the power to talk but I can't. It's strange, as though I can't decide whether I actually want to talk or not. Lastly theres also some sort of paralysis in random limbs, usually my arms or hands. It's similar to talking, I know I can move them, but at the same time, I can't. Makes total sense doesn't it XD

This is usually triggered by bad thoughts or things I can't emotionally deal with. A coping mechanism I guess. What triggers yours?
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I have lost time, had outer body perceptions, floated to other places and lost all sense of the environment I was in...I felt like I was in a fog when I came back and had no recollection of time/place...these times came on during painful events as well as during everyday activities...hope this is helpful, J
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i have a couple of triggers. sex is a big one. i often dissociate. i float off and lose touch with my body. therapy can be another trigger. when we discuss something very difficult i find it hard to stay in the room. my therapist and i do grounding exercises and she's always checking in with me to see how i'm doing.
  4. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

General day to day, i feel like im blissfully ignoring whats goign on, the stress before me, all around me. Feel like im smiling like an idiot.
    in bad times, I loose time, hours on end, i dont rememebr alot, i cant concentrate, or focus, im very irratic and i bounce from one thing to another like not wanting to be in one place at a time.
  5. DannyBoi

DannyBoi Well-Known Member

Rather poetic I must say. Sorta makes it sound like a pleasant experience, which tbf in a way it is. At least for me. Feeling numb is better than feeling pain.

Sexual things trigger me too. Big time. Don't know why. Never had therapy though. What therapy do you do? And what goes on?

All of these posts sound different to how mine feels, though I suppose you can't lump everyone in a single category for how they feel. Mine is as though I'm there, but not there. There's also a feeling of surealness to everything, even if I know whats going on. Quite weird.

From what I've read, it's just a defense mechanism, one that can be controlled to an extent. Any way of coping is better than not coping at all.

Anyone care to elaborate further on their experiences? =)
  6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Dissociation was all I could do to survive the situation I was usually happened as my father was raping or beating me, or when he locked me in his dark closet for hours, and I could not make any noise or I would be beatened again...compared to where I was, it was fact, it kept me alive...J
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.