Your Impression on People with Tattoos?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by wOOt99, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wOOt99

wOOt99 Active Member

I am actually curious about how people perceive others with tattoos.

I have tattoos on my body to symbolize my beliefs and values, or it is a statement of friendship. I have had a few girls stare at areas of my body with ink and I was curious what would their impressions are?

I am an Asian guy with a few tattoos, which is very rare for Asians in my community.

P.S. I am not gang-affiliated
    :hugtackles:

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

To me somebody with tattoos is just somebody expressing themselves in an artistic way. And I love that. I actually have 6 tattoos myself

3. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Unless you belong to some kind of tribe, most cases its probably because of some insecurity or other, same as piercings. If you want to change your appearance Y not do one of those that only last a few months.

Have you seen a "not so young" person with a tattoo?, its faded, dirty and I am sure your fed up with it by then. I wont even talk about the droopy skin.

Lets face it you should age gracefully and accept your age and an old faded, bad looking tattoo will not help at all.

4. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Well-Known Member

If someone has like gang or neo nazi tattoos or something, I may feel kinda awkward around them, but, other than that I guess I dont really have a set impression on them, it's whatever

5. Orion4

Orion4 Member

I don't mind it at all, although there is the very rare moment that someone makes me cringe. But it's their choice. I've thought about getting some at one point or another.

6. Worthless

Worthless Well-Known Member

I never realised people are so uncomfortable about tattos.
    I plan on getting heaps.
    Im a girl btw.
    I already have a larger tattoo on my arm that symbolises family.
    One on my forearm for someone that had passed away.
    And a smaller on on my wrist for my dad thats passed away.

It shouldnt be a problem to anyone else.
    Its a personal decision.

And I have taken into consideration how I will look when im older.
    But as I explained to an old person at work the other day who was questioning why I had them,
    My generation is going to look very different compared to the current generation of old people.
    People my age are getting tattos and piercings, and stretching their ears.
    Your idea of an old person now, is alot different to what we are actually going to look like in 50 years time.

Its just like, our grandparents' mothers/grandmothers wore corsets to minimize their waistline, because it was 'ideal'.
    However, you dont see many old people these days wearing them.

Something to consider ;)

7. gamergirl

gamergirl Well-Known Member

i like tattoos i think they are edgy. i want to get one but not until i slim down alittle

8. duka

duka Well-Known Member

It depends on who has it and what kind it is. If someone has a large part of his/her body covered with a tattoo, I tend to think it's because he/she is not satisfied with the way his/her body naturally looks. Self-expression is fine, as long as it's something you can either not be ashamed of your whole life, or at least laugh about when you get older. Far too many people get a butterfly on their lower backs or skulls on their arms or something and then if you ask them what they mean, they'll say, "Umm... I... like it?" or "Oh, I was young and stupid." So many people regret their tattoos when they get older. Therefore, if I were to get a tattoo, I think I'd get one I regret now, but would look better when I get older

9. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

Whenever I try to leave my impression on people with tattoos they say "get your face off my arm" :p

Actually, there are stigmas regarding tattoos, it's seen as unclean or indecent, often connected to gangs or racially prejudice groups.
    Many people with tattoos live regular lives, it's simply ink, often a form of self-expression, especially in countries like Japan.
    Though I can't say much for our countries...hm.."tramp stamp"

10. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Why is it prejudice?
    Isnt it the old catch 22 situation? Tattoos are used as a membership club stamp, (usually) of not very advisable groups and even the "normal" people do them because they are a bit "risqué" so why shouldnt a non tattooed person rationally think that there is something more behind the ink?

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Coloured clothing is just as often used as a membership stamp of gangs! What is your point?!

Tattoos are usually associated with a subculture (excepting some types e.g. tramp stamp or barbed wire on the bicep). If you have tattoos you probably are not generally mainstream - and you probably don't want to attract mainstream girls. Basically, if you have tattoos you're probably looking for girls who like tattoos, so it should work out.

These are my observations. I've noted that they're not associated really with any particular subculture; many decorate themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
  12. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Thats what I said in a different way. tattoos are associated with a subculture and group structure so there is more to them than Ink. I have no problem with that, just dont say that people that dont have tattoos have no reason for questioning them.

13. Deleted SKU

Deleted SKU Well-Known Member

If they are spelt wrongly, i think the person (and/or the person doing the Tattoo) is an idiot! :p

Otherwise, they are pretty cool. Wouldn't have one myself (because of the whole idea that an image is for display to others, and i try to hide, rather than show, myself), but think no more or less of someone who has one.

14. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

I have one on the back of my neck and never ever found anyone to judge me on it

I love them x

15. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much what all I was going to say. I do find tattoos a way for people to express theirselves. Little do they realize at the time though that they may regret it someday and how weird all that is going to look on an old wrinkly body in the future. It all depends on the person and tattoo(s) though. I'll admit that some I cringe about, but others make me go "wow, amazing". I'm wanting one that I think I'd be satisfied with for life since its simple and symbolizes what appeals to me. Still debating about where, but I know its gonna be somewhere that I wont regret it being for years to come. But anyways.. like the post I quoted says, depends on the person and the tattoo(s).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  16. barto

barto Well-Known Member

I LOVE tattoos. I draw them all the time and hope to get some. As long as they aren't neo-Nazi tatts, or whatever, I'm down :)

17. sbuck

sbuck Well-Known Member

i have 2 myself, and plan on getting more.

i dont really have an opinion on them... if they MEAN something. like my friend has this huge, stupid ass tattoo on her wrist with a bull and it says "aries" in all sorts of ugly colors... even she hates it. she just got it because she was 18, and an aries.

1 of mine is a pair of angel wings on my wrist to symbolize protection, ive wnated it since i was 12 (im 20 now, got it when i was 19). there was a song by pink called dear diary and it said "i have a guardian angel tattooed on my shoulder, shes been watching over me" and i just tweaked that to my personal liking <3 i love it. it means sooooooooooo much to me.

and then my other one is the word "unendlichkeit", its a song by my favorite band tokio hotel, it means "endlessness" me and my best friend got it to sybolize that even though we may go through tough times and live far apart, well forever be in each others heart... at least.

18. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't think anything either way...I just think well they have tattoos, some people have cool looking ones and some are stupid. But I think it's weird when people have them all over their body including their face...lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.