Your Nationality!

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by KittyGirl, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

How should I put this...

Growing up in a small town away from the city, basically there were no immigrants. What I mean is... everyone in town was 2nd or 3rd generation born Canadian- and half of the people in my hometown were Aboriginal.

Going to college in the city, I was asked one day by a guy in one of my lectures "Where are you from?"
    I told him the name of my home town and he looked confused and re-phrased the question, asking; "No... what Country?"
    ...I said Canada. lol
    I'm a 5th generation Canadian, so I didn't really get what he was getting at-- but he said that I 'looked' like I was of Russian descent! (I am 0% Russian XD)
    I hadn't really thought of my Nationality before~ I always just figured, I'm Canadian! That's it, right?

When people ask me now, I tell them that I am "Irish-Metis" because I am about 1/3 Irish, 1/4 Metis (if you don't know... it's a mix of French/North American Indian) and a bit of a bunch of other things. I think that's part of what makes me Canadian though ^___^ lol
    We're a pretty mixed country when it comes to Nationalities, I would say.

There was a bit of culture shock at first, when I moved to the city.
    I didn't mind it- I actually prefer the city~ but there was an obvious change.
    Has anyone else experienced that?

What do you tell people when they ask "where are you from?"
  2. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

You're considered a first-generation anything if you're the first to be born in that country from your family right? In that case.....I wouldn't be generation anything Canadian. Have I lost you lol?

My parents immigrated to Canada from UAE back in 1997. They were of course born and raised in Pakistan. I don't remember the move being much of a culture shock though. I went to a private school in UAE and there were a good mix of caucasians, browns and yellows etc.

The place I grew up in, let's call it p-town, is pretty white. My high school was pretty white too. So I guess I've grown a certain level of comfort around white people. Although there were quite a few brown muslims in my high school and I very much hung out with their crowd.

I really felt a culture shock going to university. I've never seen soooooooo many asians before lol. I really had a hard time adjusting here actually. Especially in the first two years of uni. About 85% of the peeps in my program are Asian, no exaggeration, but we're a pretty small program where everyone gets to know everyone. I tried to stick with my own brown folk, the first two years, but that really took me down the road of happiness. Not that there was anything wrong with the peeps in my program. I was just stuck up in my old fashioned ways earlier. I'm really loving my Asian friends' company now that I've sort of embraced them. I love to do stuff with them. Its kind of cool because everything I try or do with them ends up being something I've never done before. So I get to learn a lot and eat tonnes of sushi in the process lol. Go figure after spending sooo much time with them the girl I have a crush on happens to be Asian!!! Lol.

So yea, initially the uni transition was a bit rough for me. I'm not completely comfortable with it, but I'm working my way to fit in :).
  3. ASolitaryBlue

ASolitaryBlue Well-Known Member

im not really sure what generation i am... i was born in the US and from one side of my family i know im 3rd generation, from the other side we dont know any farther back than my grandparents... the family on the side we know of came from poland. the other side is polish, british, and french, but other than country of origins there we dont know much. but i know im 3/4 polish, and the other 1/4 is evenly split british and french :D

ive never had much of a transition. ive grown up surrounded by polish food, polka, and a few traditions. going to uni it was more of a transition getting used to all the different nationalities blended together. my high school was almost exclusively white. at uni it is very much mixed. there are kids from across the globe, professors as well. it was different at first, getting used to it, but now its fine, i prefer the diversity :)
  4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

If you go by the most recent family immigrants I guess that would make me a 2nd generation American.

People always just assume that I'm of German descent, as my last name is about as German as they get and I have blonde hair and grey eyes(bluish in the right light) with very fair skin.

Strangely enough I look completely identical to my grandfather who is full-blooded German, to the point where when people would see a childhood photo of him on the wall when I was little they would ask how we got that photo of me to look so old.

Anyway, my ancestral make-up is 25% Irish, 25% Italian, 25% Portuguese, and 25% German. All my grandparents were full-blooded.

But yeah, if someone asks me I will say American unless they specifically ask for descent.

I've never experienced any culture shock because TBH where I live is almost exclusively white.
  5. xan

xan Chat Buddy

English... but I traced back my surname to the Vikings! Which is pretty cool :tongue: Pretty sure that's about it :unsure:
  6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I am full-blooded Swedish as far as I know.. Once I asked my grandpa about it, and he started talking about a Wallachian man that married into the family during the 15th century (like 600 years ago or so). I went like "ok... one man... any other???" but no, no other non-Swedish people was known to grandpa.
    I also have an old-fashioned Swedish name, blue eyes and I'm about as white as you can ever get (I never tan, it's impossible). Buying make up-foundation and such is dead end, because there is no matching shade produced.

The city where I live is very mixed! I have friends from Volgograd (Russia) and Eritrea.
    Sweden overall has many arabic and african immigrants, and there are also many asian people here as there are two large universities in town.
  7. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

8. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

honorary Geordie!! English through and through
  9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

half canadian / half viet / half chinese 100% quebecois... LOL
  10. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

Ok, math may not be my strong point, but I swear that adds up to 250%! lolll.

11. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

60% hot, 40% sexy, 87% crazy. And a lil bit italian.
  12. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

Basically all canadian I guess.
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

50% German, 50% randomly strewn across Europe
  14. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I did the thing a few months ago and on my Mom's side most everyone is from Germany. There are some French and Dutch people, but 99% German. On her Dad's side, my Great-great grandparents all came from Germany (Late 1700s to early 1800s). Most all of the people from my Mom's side came from Germany and settled in Pennsylvania/Ohio and all my Mom's side still live in Ohio besides her and her Mom. (My Mom and all her Dad's side all have blond hair and Blue eyes.)

On my dad's side most everyone came from England in the 1500-1600s. There are a few Irish people thrown in there but it's mostly English.

So I guess that makes me almost 50% German and close to 50% English.
  15. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

ohhh, mike! <3
  16. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

1/2 Italian, 1/8 each of German, Slovak, Irish and English. I look 100% Irish.
  17. plates

plates Well-Known Member

My nationality is British. :laugh:
  18. Hdhsjsjsz

Hdhsjsjsz Well-Known Member

Tehhh Unique Kuwaiti ;P
  19. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

20. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.