Your opinion on people who attempt suicide MANY times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashed__

I'm curious, what do you think of people who attemt suicide a large number of times. I'm not talking about a couple attempts..but more like dozens. This isn't directed at anyone inparticular, but i'm curious about what you guys think. Can someone fail that many times and actually be full attempts? Are they trying but part of them doesn't want to die?

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on this.

ACRon

I'm trying to imagine a person that wans to die, in the chasing rainbows for eternity and beyond sense who has completely lost touch with their former ideologies, how would a person eradicate such fragments. to enable their complete transition surely they refuse to give up until they have rendered all physical senses null and void due to the stimulus for such attachment bieng unknown. so the part that doesn't want to die refuses to die confused? maybe, i don't know

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
I knew someone who tried many, many times. Really serious attempts too, it's amazing how much the body can endure, how much pain it can let you go through in an attempt to just keep on living. But then she didn't want to die, she wanted to raise a family, to grow old happily and to pursue her dreams.

So what do I think about it? I couldn't begin to understand what it was like to be her, so I can't really say.

Lead Savior

Aren't putting enough thought into it because they probably don't really want to die. In my opinion it is a drastic form of reaching out for help.

Shogun

My opinion on them is that I feel sorry for them, they are obviously reaching out for help and just not getting it. That must be indescribably frustrating! We're all individuals and we all react differently to situations, I think they're misguided, they don't realize they could be doing irrepairable damage to their bodies, but I'm sure in their mind they know exactly what they're doing so who's to say that my opinion is more valied than theirs? Or anyones?

I'm tired....

What I mean is, when I myself finally decide to take my own life (hopefully sometime this year) it's going to be by a 100% successful method. But that's probably because I'm past wanting to be saved or helped.

Spearmint

I think that my opinion would piss a bunch of people off, so I'm just going to keep it to myself..Interesting idea for a thread though, D.

Testify

Depends on the method. I think ODing is just a form of self-harm, and people who call it a "suicide attempt" are probably looking for attention (before anyone says anything, I've ODd a couple of times).
People who *actually* want to kill themselves will rarely fail, and if they do will only fail once or twice.

bleach

I think they are women. For one. Since women attempt suicide about 4 times more often than men, but men successfully kill themselves about 3-4 times more often than women.

The huge difference between genders leads me to think there probably is a gender-related reason for it. But the reason why is difficult to pinpoint.

Patch

I think they are women. For one. Since women attempt suicide about 4 times more often than men, but men successfully kill themselves about 3-4 times more often than women.

The huge difference between genders leads me to think there probably is a gender-related reason for it. But the reason why is difficult to pinpoint.
Statisticaly, men use guns whereas women use drugs. Ones a little more definite than the other:dry:

As to what I think of these people, they disgust me. I don't think I can/should go into more detail. But they fucking disgust me.

ScouseJM

It is possible and probable that someone can attempt suicide many times and yet fail whilst being genuine about their attempts.

I agree. Im sure there are also those mentioned before, desperately reachin out for help and seekin attention (not meant as a bad label). But it isnt the case with all of them. If a suicide attempt fails, or several, I don think there is a way to generally say its not sincere.

Testify

Statisticaly, men use guns whereas women use drugs. Ones a little more definite than the other:dry:

As to what I think of these people, they disgust me. I don't think I can/should go into more detail. But they fucking disgust me.
Why do they discust you?

Random

I'm curious, what do you think of people who attemt suicide a large number of times. I'm not talking about a couple attempts..but more like dozens. This isn't directed at anyone inparticular, but i'm curious about what you guys think. Can someone fail that many times and actually be full attempts? Are they trying but part of them doesn't want to die?

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on this.
I think most people who are "suicidal" are simply at their wits end with life. They don't really want to die but they can't really live like most people do.

I also think that most suicidal thinking comes out of a sense of powerlessness, hopelessness and loss of control. A feeling that the person has lost (or never had) the ability to control their own destiny. And also, I think it comes out of fear. Fear of anything. Or fear of everything or simply fear of the unknown. But most of all, fear of living.

Sometimes, the fear of what may come to pass is worse than the fear of death.

So. I don't think many people really, sincerely want to die. I think they just feel that they have no choice. I think suicidal thinking empowers and comforts some people. It makes them feel like they have at least some kind of control. For instance, I may say that I may not be able to manage my own life but I can sure as hell end it and have at least the satisfaction of knowing I chose my fate instead of having the circumstances of my life or other people or the rest of the world dictate it to me.

Suicidal thought is that little private place where you can go and stare into the abyss and feel like you have a choice.

Do I think people who fail repeatedly are really trying to kill themselves? No. Not really. I'm not sure what the psychology of an attempt that is designed to fail is because, frankly, I haven't been there. If I ever do attempt, if I fail, it will be an accident.

I guess it's possible to accidentally fail many times. I guess if a person insists on using methods that aren't particularly lethal, they may just be saying "Fuck it all! I'm gonna try and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work". But you'd think that if they really wanted to die, they'd learn which methods don't work.

Lead Savior

Random, though sometimes the length of your posts intimidate my eyes and impatience gets the best of me, when I do read them I always decide that you are the smartest motherfucker here.

unbearable

so people who feel like failures are okay to you, considering you post here but people who haven't succeeded in suicide after a few attempts fucking disgust you for being just to much of a failure.
nice to see you don't judge and discriminate. So what are you doing on a suicide forum spitting venomous stuff like that about suicide for exactly?.

some of those pathetic failures might have a good soul, that's least disgusting than being poisonous and heartless.

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
It's sad but the more somebody attempts suicide, the more negative reactions they get, people make comments such as "If you're going to kill yourself at least do a decent job of it", and so they do. But I don't think these people are cruel, I think they're just frustrated.

The person attempting, wants to be helped, people are trying to help, yet the person attempting still feels like they can't be or aren't being helped and so they just see themselves as a burden, wasting people's time, causing them distress. It's frustrating for everyone involved, it's hard to find solutions, and death seems like that solution. But I think that people are wrong to see themselves as a burden to others, I think they can enrich people's lives without ever realising it.

Patch

so people who feel like failures are okay to you, considering you post here but people who haven't succeeded in suicide after a few attempts fucking disgust you for being just to much of a failure.
nice to see you don't judge and discriminate. So what are you doing on a suicide forum spitting venomous stuff like that about suicide for exactly?.

some of those pathetic failures might have a good soul, that's least disgusting than being poisonous and heartless.
The poster asked a question to which (I can only assume) he wants an honest answer to.

The way people respond to questions/comments tells the reader alot about the poster (if you care to look). Some people miss it, which is shame.

Why am I on SF? You could've answered that yourself. I'm "poisonous and heartless".:smile:

BioHomocide

I've tried a few times.... 1 out of the 4 hoping for death.

Most of my attempts have been cries for help.
All the earlier ones did get me help.
My most recent one was not for help but rather for a release.

I don't want to cry out or seek attention.... I just want to be free of the nightmare.
Hopefully the next time I try, I wont wake up in a hospital.
Hopefully the next time I try, I wont have to wake up anywhere anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00