Your purpose in life

Status
Not open for further replies.

twilightki

I've been thinking again. People often get depressed and even scared thinking about their purpose in life. People who have no religious beliefs, or a doubt of their religious beliefs, often times feel insignificant because they look to our purpose as be born, reproduce, and die.

My question is, would you rather have someone tell you what to do? I know I wouldn't want to have some kind of religious belief tying me down, tell me what to do with my life. I've been through that before.....no way to live. So what I'm saying here, is you create your own purpose. You were created as an organism with a brain. Not just survival instincts, you were created with the ability to think. Think about what you value greatest in life, and that becomes your purpose.

I am not certain what to think about having a purpose in life. I guess we all do, but exactly who or what determines this purpose is a mystery to me. We are allowed to make choices as to what path our lives take. Based on these choices, the paths are constantly altered. Does this mean that our purpose may also be altered? What about when the choices are taken from you and made by someone else? Another alteration? Many things to ponder and contemplate. You have given me food for thought. :blink:

twilightki

I am not certain what to think about having a purpose in life. I guess we all do, but exactly who or what determines this purpose is a mystery to me. We are allowed to make choices as to what path our lives take. Based on these choices, the paths are constantly altered. Does this mean that our purpose may also be altered? What about when the choices are taken from you and made by someone else? Another alteration? Many things to ponder and contemplate. You have given me food for thought. :blink:
Purpose and path are slightly different things. A Buddhist could be looking to be enlightened. That is his purpose, to be enlightened. He needs a way to get there, that is his path. He finds a teacher, and gains insight on how to become enlightened through that teacher. A purpose is sort of like, a never ending goal. My purpose is to be as happy as I can be, and share this happiness with others. No one deserves to be alone or sad. Ever. Someone could temporarily take this from me, say, by putting me in prison, and in solitary confinement. I could not fulfill my purpose this way. That does not stop my purpose from being so. My purpose remains in my head, regardless of what happens.

lymeinside

I have only one goal that I want to accomplish. I want to meet my soulmate, get married, and have a family. That is the only thing I care about. It's the only thing that matters to me. I don't care about money, fame, or anything else.

I suppose that is my purpose in life. To get married and raise a good family. I want it so badly...

twilightki

I have only one goal that I want to accomplish. I want to meet my soulmate, get married, and have a family. That is the only thing I care about. It's the only thing that matters to me. I don't care about money, fame, or anything else.

I suppose that is my purpose in life. To get married and raise a good family. I want it so badly...
That's a great purpose my friend. My best wishes towards your fulfillment of it.

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
My purpose, at least it seems this way, is to give a loving home to my animals and to feed and shelter the stray kitties in my neighborhood. Whether or not this is a 'noble' or worthy purpose is debatable, but my critters and my kitties think it's a good purpose indeed!:smile:

animal lover,

least

twilightki

My purpose, at least it seems this way, is to give a loving home to my animals and to feed and shelter the stray kitties in my neighborhood. Whether or not this is a 'noble' or worthy purpose is debatable, but my critters and my kitties think it's a good purpose indeed!:smile:

animal lover,

least
Helping out those in need, a noble purpose indeed my friend. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00