Your REAL name.....what are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bambi

What are members thoughts about revealing their real name?

I have refrained as mine is very unique and can be googled rather easily but I feel like I am being untruthful calling myself by my real life nickname Bambi (on my rap sheet too!) versus my birth name.

Just curious how members feel when someone responds to support you when you don't even know the responders real name.

I am considering revealing it to the forum as a whole but it has it's downsides for me but you are all my family and I love you. So what is in a name?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Vangelis

My real name is unimportant, it's the help that someone actually recognizes me as a person rather than just another entity on the internet. In the outside world, it's the same thing, people don't see you firsthand, so they don't bother with real names. They judge on the outside first, and if it's something they don't like or feel threatened, then they're not gonna bother.

Chargette

It's a matter of personal choice. I'm an old broad that doesn't care what the world at large thinks so I'm okay with revealing mine.

Someone who has a job that could be affected by this may not want to reveal their name.

Bambi

Thank you both for replying...I too am an old broad but it may effect my work so have kept my real name private. I do feel that on the larger level real names here are unimportant. The night I arrived I could careless who replied real name was...somebody cared.

Well thanks for your input and hope other reply too...I don't want to seem deceitful is all and see so many give their real name. I am proud to be a member here and not ashamed of what I have gone through to be here but there is this small part of me that worries....

Vangelis

If jobs are gonna be nosy and look at my internet history to see if I'm a loon or not, then I shouldn't be working for that company in the first place. What else is the supervisor gonna look up? My mental history? My family history? "Oh my Lee has a schizophrenic Mother, that means he must be just as crazy as she and endangers my workers". If companies have to be so insecure about that part, then they're just as mental.

yorkie bar

Difficult one. I'm a very private person,and very insular, so i have difficulty revelaing my thoughts or anything about myself to anyone, including the 'real' world.

But, i have told everyone in the real world who needs to know, my situation, in the last week, including trying to kill myself, and they have been amazingly supportive, so i guess it depends how much that person cares about you, or values you. My boss has been amazing - i've been 'hiding' everything for probably at least a year, and now she is emailing me everyday to see if i'm 'alright' , with a shoulder to cry on, and has given me lots of work. I just have to follow it through now, which is immenseley difficult for me, personally. My neighbour bought me a digi box, and came and installed it for me last night, so i can watch some tv. But i did'nt have the heart to tell him not to install it, as i'm expecting the baliffs anyday, and they will take everything i've got, not that i have anything of value.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, Bambi, but i guess its whatever you feel comfortable with at the time. I'm quite happy to tell anyone my name, if they care about me enough to want to know. I really like your name 'Bambi' , and to me, you will always be Bambi.

hug yorkie xx

ZombiePringle

Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend
Its a matter of what your comfort level is. If you don't feel comfortable revealing your real name then you shouldn't be expected to.

I think it is a matter of personal choice really.
Simply it makes me anxious to think of my real name being on here so I just don't do it.
I remind myself of the anxiety from time to time so that I don't share it because once its shared then I feel anxiety about it all the time after that.

itmahanh

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
When I put Lollipop as my name it was sort of as a joke. Enough people around here know my real name and started using it in the forum although I didnt really want it used. So back to Lollipop. Not so much of a joke anymore cuz I am just a sucker.

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
Using my real name makes no never mind to me..I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of..Besides my name is on my yahoo...

G

Godsdrummer

I have always had my real name out there. Besides there are like what, I dunno 5 million Bill's! lol

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
It's all down to personal preference. Nobody should feel they HAVE to use their real name. I can care about someone just as much whether I do or don't know their real name. And I dont' see anything wrong with going by a nickname; you should tell people whatever you feel comfortable with, and nothing more.

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
Bambi, you're an old broad? We were born the same year and I aint old. :rolleyes:

There are many security/identity issues to consider on sites like this so I wouldn't blame anyone for a little bit of paranoia. By the way and for the record my last name is "the menace". :wiggle:

Would that make a difference Bambi you have people on this sight who care and others that dont do you think giving a real name would get a real answer or sombody who cared. There are good people here and there are some people here that dont answer after you speak to them, so be it. Life sucks :sadpanda:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00