Your shadow

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by LightInTheDarkestNight, Jun 29, 2011.

1. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

The shadow is an unconscious complex defined as the repressed, suppressed or disowned qualities of the conscious self. According to Jung, the human being deals with the reality of the shadow in four ways: denial, projection, integration and/or transmutation. According to Analytical psychology, a person's shadow may have both constructive and destructive aspects. In its more destructive aspects, the shadow can represent those things which people do not accept about themselves. For instance, the shadow of someone who identifies as being kind may be harsh or unkind. Conversely, the shadow of a person who is brutal may be gentle. In its more constructive aspects, a person's shadow may represent hidden positive qualities. This has been referred to as the "gold in the shadow". Jung emphasized the importance of being aware of shadow material and incorporating it into conscious awareness in order to avoid projecting shadow qualities on others.
    The shadow in dreams is often represented by dark figures of the same gender as the dreamer.

By projecting your shadow onto someone else you may feel that by doing evil you're actually being "good". It's a combination of projection and rationalization. By projecting your shadow onto others you may identify with being a "hero" or even a vigilante, when in reality you're only harming a good person, due to some self involved interest.

The best of us have some evil in us and even the worst of us have some good. You must become aware of your shadow side to not project and realize even people who may have done something you don't agree with morally(wronged you or a friend) may actually be a really good person.

Are you in tune with your shadow side? Are you aware of the evil within yourself?

Here are some quotes from an article which, the author quotes famous psychologist Dr. Carl Jung in many cases to prove his point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  2. LightInTheDarkestNight

This song totally reminds me off what I'm talking about here.

It's called "Playing God" by Paramore...

Hayley says " The song is about self righteous people who are judgemental and throw all of their bad reflections of themselves on you to sort of blame you to make themselves feel better " In the making of the "Playing God" music video .

If God's the game that you're playing
    Well, we must get more acquainted
    Because it has to be so lonely
    To be the only one who's holy

It's just my humble opinion
    But it's one that I believe in
    You don't deserve a point of view
    If the only thing you see is you

You don't have to believe me
    But the way I, way I see it
    Next time you point a finger
    I might have to bend it back
    Or break it, break it off
    Next time you point a finger
    I'll point you to the mirror
  3. LightInTheDarkestNight

Another one I like.... about pointing your finger....

People like to point their finger so they can feel better about themselves.... Often times their projecting their shadow onto someone else....