Your thoughts on this one anyone?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by yorkie bar, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yorkie bar

yorkie bar Well-Known Member

Since i've not formally introduced myself, i thought i'd say hi, with my first thread.

I'm yorkie, and i tried to kill myself very recently. Formalities over.

What are your thoughts on this one - murder or assisted suicide?

I read about this yesterday :-

A 'caring and loving' mother helped her sick daughter commit suicide by handing her a lethal dose of ******** and a cocktail of ***** . i won't explain the method.When it emerged the dose was not fatal, she administered some more as advised by an assisted suicide group.In the hours that followed, she administered enough to make her daughters heart stop. The ME sufferer, died later that morning. Her mother had tried to talk her out of it, saying it was'nt the right time. But her daughter had been bed ridden for 17 years and insisted she wanted to go. She suffered from an 'unimaginably wretched' illness and had expressed a clear desire in the past, to end her own life.
    Not judging motives or morals, its clear she was a 'devoted' mother, did the actions fall outside of the law? Murder? or aiding and abetting suicide?

yorkie

Yay - post no 100, i've made it to a senior member - how fitting lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Her daughter's illness, Myalgic Encephalomyaletis (spelling?) was a living hell but I don't believe it is fatal and some sufferers can have partial or even complete remission. I don't know what country in which this occurred but it is almost certainly legally considered manslaughter but from what I remember in these kinds of cases the mother will never serve any time in prison.

Seventeen years bedridden with ME would be enough to drive any human into such a deep despair that they could probably convince most parents, siblings or a spouse to help them die. If I were caring for a loved one with an agonizing terminal disease and they begged me to assist their suicide I think I would but I hope I would be able to resist their pleas for death if the illness wasn't.

The poor mother, I hope she can find peace.

3. ASkylitDrive

ASkylitDrive Well-Known Member

My friend actually has to do a paper on PHYSICIAN assisted suicide...Mine is over homosexuality..anyway
    I think the mother had no choice in the matter. Sure in any circumstance it sounds sickening, but that is her daughter. I know that a parent can't stand to see their child in pain.

4. yorkie bar

This is a case currently on trial in the UK. 'On trial' - as if the mother has'nt already suffered enough, and may serve a prison sentance.

I can't begin to imagine how i would feel if it had been my daughter, and what actions i would have taken. I'm inclined to think i would have done the same, but 'assisting' the person you love most to terminate their own life? I could only justify it by calling it an act of love.....................

Oh, thats got me very emotional, now

yorkie

5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Welcome to SF...FORMALLY!

I've had a long time to think about this scenario. I'm 54 and this scenario (different situation but same general prniciples, legal issues, moral codes involved) was propsed to the class when I was in high school at about age 17

We held a mock trial in the class and did much research! Even though the law was clear then, that this would be a manslaughter case with no legal defense available, the class jury found the parent innocent. There were no grounds to do so, yet they felt compelled by the impassioned plea of the parent.

Now, in the U.S, several states have adopted physicial assisted suicide for terminally ill patients, so it is possible that there would not be such a case here anymore.

Legally, I understand why your country must prosecute...but morally I feel that the judge or jury should take the circumstances and illness into consideration.

There was one a few years ago in which the elderly spouse was convicted, and another in which the mother of two mentally impaired sons was convicted (I'm pretty sure) for killing said spouse, or children (the children were adults in their 50's I believe), but I do not think either did any jail time. I would have to try and find them.

So for me, the scenario is now changed! I would move to a state where it is allowable for the physician to assist.

6. yorkie bar

Hi Shades,thankyou . I hope you saw 'the funny'.

I did'nt want to mention the jury, or quote too much, but the prosecutor told the jury they were not tasked to judge the 'motives or morals'. It is your job to decide whether the actions of * , fell outside of the law.

Shame we don't enforce some more laws as stringently.

I have'nt heard the outcome of the trial yet. If its like everything else here, my guess is, i never will.

yorkie

7. yorkie bar

Well i'm amazed, the outcome of the case hit national news just now.

The mother was found not guilty. The judge asked the jury the question, when is assisted suicide the same as murder ? the jury decided it was'nt. Why was she ever put on trial? the question being asked.

The debate will now continue for some time as big morals are resting on such small cases, after all the anguish the mother has been through, and whether the law needs to be changed.

yorkie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.