your vitamin regimen?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by rosalee, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rosalee

rosalee Well-Known Member

So, I've been wary of taking supplements for a long time -- mostly just because they were pricey, and it's hard to differentiate the snake-oil claims from what really works. I know most of your essential nutrients should come from food, but in reality, my low budget, my low energy levels, and my compromised kitchen space means I don't always have the resources to prepare a healthful meal every day. A bunch of self-help books and stuff say that taking supplements can make a lot of difference, and it's something I'm interested in trying.

I know that not every supplement works for every individual, but before I drop a lot of money at a health food store, I was interested in just getting a kind of survey about what most people are trying and how it works, so I have some idea of where to start. Thanks in advance!
  2. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

Most people dont get enough omega oils (?) in their diets. I take flax seed oil capsules three times a day with meals, they contain omega 3, 6 and 9.
  3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

This. Ran is correct in getting in more essential fats, also you can look into fish oil pills too. My recommendation would be freezing the pills as you will not have to worry about any fishy taste after taking them which some people complain about when they first start taking them.

Also the one supplement that I have gotten the most benefit from is made by a company called biotest. Its called powerdrive, and is just L-tyrosine, Phosphatidylcholine, DMAE, and Vitamin B6. This is the number one thing I would recommend for a feeling of "well-being" as I absolutely love the stuff. Google the individual ingredients and you should find some favorable things regarding each. You can buy the individual ingredients seperately, but I have found its cheaper just to go with this.

The link is:

Also another thing I have noticed recently is I feel a lot better if I eat an avocado everyday. I have not done any research on this so it is just a personal recommendation it could be a placebo effect but I feel great eating them.

Hope some of this helps.
  4. rosalee

Thanks for the responses, Ranxerox and Mikeintx. I do believe I already have an old bottle of fish oil capsules lying around, but I'm going to stop at GNC tomorrow and see if an attendant can give me a little advice, too. Of course they're gonna want to sell me as much as possible, but the oil does sound like a good idea regardless. Thanks again. :)
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I would be weary of advice from GNC employees... my cousin's gf works there and she told me the other day how she is leaving because they keep asking her to push supplements that she does not believe in.
  6. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I'm actually seeing naturopath for supplements in lieu of a psychiatrist prescribing medications. Not necessarily recommending substituting supplements completely like I did but they're definitely at least helpful in addition.

For emotional issues, I know omega 3s are very important. B vitamins are also very important. I'm on supplements specifically for mood instability, I take calcium, magnesium, B vitamins, omegas, and 5-HTP (not a vitamin but I'll include it anyway haha).

But I have an entire book on natural supplements and treatment of a wide array of ailments, so pm me if there's anything specific you'd like to know! (I might not get back to this thread so thats the best way to reach me haha)
  7. rosalee

Thanks again for the responses, everyone, and sorry for leaving this thread. :laugh: I left on Monday with a bottle of St. John's Wort, and a (fresh) bottle of Omega-3 fish oil. I'm taking both sets of capsules three times a day, as the back of the bottle instructs. idk if it's too early in to produce a real change in my mood, but I have noticed that if I forget a routine dose (usually because I'm eating out with somebody and don't wanna pop pills in front of them), my mood comes crashing down like a rock. It might be just a placebo effect (I do really want these to work...) or it might be because there's other stuff going on with my body that would be sending my emotions out of whack (lack of sleep this week because of work stress, traveling, ect. ect.), so I'm just going to see what happens next week when things are clearer. :smile:
  8. Earn

Earn Well-Known Member

I know im a little late into this thread.You should be taking a multivitamin,everyone should.I started taking centrum performance during basic training and it helped me out.I was able to have more energy during the day.And I also take L-Carnitine not a lot of people know about.its really good for energy during the day.its just like vitamin b.its natural.its expensive tho.but its really worth gnc card gets a good work out from all the different suplamints i take.I dont take as much as i used to when i was in basic now im just taking a multi,L-Carnitine,and amino fuel.
  9. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd also add that I take a multivitamin with iron everyday and a massive 1000mg Cod Liver Oil capsule everyday. Does me wonders.
  10. chooselife

chooselife Well-Known Member

I take B complex. Fish Oil. Echinacea. Calcium and a Multi. Yeah vitamins can be expensive. Oh and sometimes Garlic, but you can get them a dollar stores too!
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

And because I have shitty bones and joints:
    1500mg elemental calcium
    Glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM (clinically proven to prevent and even somewhat reverse osteoarthritic damage!)
  12. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Apparently, 'evening primrose oil' benefits some people who are stressed.
  13. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I take a basic multi-vitamin - the brands vary, given that they're often similar in content and percentage - and Fish Oil. I've learned it's better to get you're vitamins from more natural sources however, so I like to mix it up with healthy food, at which point I refrain from taking vitamins that day.
  14. twc

twc Well-Known Member

I take a generic multi-vitamin. Also extra Vitamin C (can't hurt), and sometimes aspirin.

I noticed a difference after 2 weeks or so of starting on the vitamins. I felt better and a little cleaned out.
  15. deferred dream

deferred dream Well-Known Member

- Alive! which a multivitamin whole food supplement with essential vitamins and minerals as well as fruits, vegetables, amino acids, green foods, mushrooms, and other lovely things that I don't remember right off :D I like it, it's the only multi that doesn't give me a head- and stomachache.
    - Cinnamon to keep blood sugar steady (works but it makes burps taste cinnamony lol )
    - Gingko
    - Ginseng
    - Fish oil (enteric coated, no fish taste!)
    - Flaxseed oil
    - Cranberry extract (temporary, just till this stupid UTI goes away)
    - Calcium
  16. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

and 2000 mg fish oil