You're nobody...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

...until somebody loves you.

Do you agree with that statement? Just a little Valentine's day pondering.

2. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I was someone until somebody decided to love me. He abused me into being a nobody again. Go figure.
  3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

No, i do not agree with that statement at all.

Why would you base your worth on that?
  4. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

Everyone is no one.
  5. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

:laugh: You're so melodramatic, it amuses me.
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Yes. The statement is valid. You're a nobody until you're loved. That's why people spend their entire lives wanting to be loved and seeking to belong.
  7. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Yes, mostly. Your icon is full of happiness :sheep2:
  8. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm so glad that I learned to love myself.
  9. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

I suppose that would depend on how you define 'love' because people or 'emotions' let us down, they are unreliable.

For me, 1 Corinthians 13 demonstrates real and unfailing love.

1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. – Proverbs 10:12

Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. - Leviticus 19:18
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
  10. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

love has been absent in my life and it is the thing that i wish i had the most...
  11. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

Unless you like yourself first, how on earth can we expect others too?
    Lets face it pity isnt exactly a sexy and endearing quality..........
    To be content in your own company and to like yourself is to become whole.
    Then and only then can you give a part of you.........
  12. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

You're nobody until somebody loves you - interesting question!

I think that you need to be content in your own company and with yourself, relatively speaking. Of course though, you're somebody - you have a life, feelings, maybe a job.

I think the thrust of this question though, is getting down into the nitty-gritty of the feelings of 'love'. Some say that there's nothing like 'falling in love' (or lust, or whatever you want to define it as) as a feeling. It can awaken many, many things inside you - that you maybe had never thought about before, or felt before. In this sense I suppose it's true.

There must be other feelings out there though - take adrenaline junkies. Maybe skydiving gives them the same rush as when 'falling in love' and so. Are you then nobody, until you've skydived? Are you - ultimately - nobody, until you've had an experience where you feel something awaken inside you, whatever that may be? I'd say that's more the truth ... Personally, of course.

Sorry for the ramble!
  13. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

I disagree. It is whether or not you love yourself that matters most of all. :) :rockon:
  14. Prinnctopher's Belt

I don't think the OP's question is particularly about romantic love. Just love in general; being cared about, desired, defended, entrusted, belonging. And it is what everyone seeks and wants, because everybody wants to be loved. Otherwise, you're a nobody with no value.

Adding love/belonging/caring = adding value.
  15. Prinnctopher's Belt

Add a poll, pit?
  16. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Great statement for this thread :)
  17. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Ah, grist for another thread. You're nobody ... until you've skydived!
  18. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Here is were I have to beg to differ. I was a person that felt great amounts of self worth and value. Yes I searched out love to feel all that it offers. But what I got was abused on every level. My self worth, esteem and ego were torn apart and away. That was during a very long abusive marriage. After we the divorce I tried again to only find the same things. I dont have anyone that loves me but damn it I still have value. I and others do not need to have love in their lives to be of value or be considered worthy.
  19. Fever

Fever Member

I think that saying is one of the most harmful things in existence. People worry so much about being loved and accepted, they are raised into this mindset where they require someone else to validate themselves. Maybe people would be a little better off if they worried about themselves instead of trying to find something to make their problems seem less important relatively.
  20. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Agree, buth then how do you measure your lifes worth if not by comparing it to others and using them as a mirror?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.