Youtube and Google blackout

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Rockster, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockster

Rockster Guest

Basically i dont want to copy and paste the article so here is the link http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/12/15/18555028.php please express your views on this, personally i think Google's new policy is a load of bollocks and shouldn't be allowed but i will express my views more once some replys have come up.

I will be in the boycott

2. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

wait, i'm confused
    they're making like a second internet
    and all the major sites will go on that
    and then the smaller, less well known sites will be on the original one and will be censored etc??

that's... weird

3. Rockster

Rockster Guest

Basically google will put all the companies that pay them at the top of the results whenever you search for stuff and then the unpaying ones (charities, schools, educational sites etc) will be listed, so if it isnt a very specific search what you are looking for could be like 20-30 pages in.

4. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

:O WHY?!
    oh wait, no i know why
    coz they're money-grabbing ****s that want to make everyone elses lives harder! my friend has two websites and she's going to lose so much money because of that!

5. Rockster

Rockster Guest

I wouldnt agree with you, Google has been the most neutral site when it comes to censorship and free services so for them to change i am guessing they are preparing for the whole internet 2.0 release

6. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

is there a campaign thing going to stop it at all?

i suppose it wouldn't make much difference anyway
    all the major companies that pay google are going to have the most influence anyway

7. Rockster

Rockster Guest

That is why alot of internet users around the globe have agreed to this blackout by not going to google or youtube betweenthe 19th and 21st so that a) google will lose alot of money through shares but b) will know what people think

8. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

it was only a matter of time. I have a friend who works at comcast.
    she is a nice person, but essentially a misguided peabrain. I did not
    engage in debate with her about the internet and the fact that 3 or 4
    humongous corporations were posed to essentially take over said internet.
    comcast and google being part of aforementioned SWINE companies.
    my friend at comcast prattled about how it was better for everyone.
    as I said, she is an idiot. so I did not argue. there's something in the bible
    about arguing with halfwits. i can't remember it verbatim.

I will gladly boycott google and youtube which is obviously ownded by google
    on the days mentioned and for here ever after for that matter. I enjoy a bit
    of lollygagging on youtube, but the only thing really worth watching is
    jackie and dunlap. now the electipons over, even they have pretty much gone south.
    a pianless boycott indeed

9. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

I will be keeping of google and YouTube (owned by google) which has also new policies to censor peoples videos and cheat the view count and take peoples video honours away to stop people finding them.
    Some videos on there I think are inapropriate but I just worry about how far it will all go, we are going to be in a censored world, only having access to information these companies and the government want us to believe.
    The news tell us what they want us to believe, propaganda and fear, I used to believe we lived with being told the truth, but I was nieve.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
  10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

It's that bad.....and worse. If it comes out of the mouth of anyone from the MSM, assume it's a lie until further notice. I don't care if it comes from the right, left, center or lopsided. I believe there are some good people working as journalists for the MSM. And I believe some of them would love to level with us. But there's what they'd like to tell you and what they get paid to tell you and what they're afraid to tell you.

11. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

yes. mostly what they are paid to tell us and what they are afraid
    would happen if they tried to cough some unadulterated truth and facts.
    first of all, it wouldn't be aired. and now, it would likely be removed or cencored
    on youtube. there's places to find real news. but it's hard. second, and
    foremostly, any dissenter in the media industry would not like the
    unemployment lines of modern day reality. hardly anyone does.
    the net WAS the final fronteir. I think that's a bygone era....I know
    nothing of sattelite radio or internet or....well those. perhaps someone
    might enlighten me briefly. from what I have seen of satellite TV, it is the same
    crappola in more copious quantities. and possibly full frontal nudity
    iffin ya pays extree :biggrin:

big deal :dry:

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh please, overreactions.

People have been accusing Google of taking money to boost search position since the late '90s.

And yet, Google's algorithm consistently brings up good, relevant results.

13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

What does an overreaction cost?

What does a failure to react cost?

Which one's cheaper?

14. frager84

frager84 Well-Known Member

honestly i think this is pretty funny i dont think the internet will ever be censored if it is a new one will be created

if they get to out of control make the servers kill eachother hehe

15. I find this odd. It has been going around for some time, but I still have yet to see it actually happen.

I highly doubt if it ever will. *shrug*

16. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

i agree with aoeu about the over reactions, people seem awfully surprised about a company attempting to maximise profits. its the first thing they teach you in business school i would imagine, make money. Second thing probably bieng to make more money.

17. bornfree

bornfree Guest

For those wishing to boycott, don't forget Myspace as well....

18. Rockster

Rockster Guest

different company though :p

19. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Time and worry.

Very little. At worst, net neutrality will be repealed, and it'll take a year or two for the supreme court to overturn it - before any ISP has a chance to really change policies.

20. bornfree

bornfree Guest

MySpace is powered by Google in case you don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.