Zen-Buddhism to Control One's Emotions

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Winslow, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

In Buddhism, the point is that happiness can be just as bad as its opposite of anguish. After all, happiness and anguish are opposite sides of the same coin. If one focuses just on happiness all the time, it won't work, because there will come times when something painful happens, at which point all the happiness fades away. So the aim of Buddhism is to attain serenity. And that serenity is attained through meditation.

In the chatroom, I've met two others who practice meditation, and it helps them as much as it has helped me. So I just wanted to share it in this motivational section. Let me repeat, the aim of Buddhism is not happiness but instead serenity. Happiness can be destroyed at any time by pain but Serenity from meditation enables one to tolerate whatever pain we encounter.

abbshoney, SunShine1973 and Brian777 like this.
  2. Dan99

Dan99 Active Member

Hey buddy!

I am into Buddhism too!

Really has helped me during tough times.

Glad to meet you Winslow :)
    Keep them posts coming. I really enjoy learning new things from Buddhism (and other religions and philosophies for that matter.)

3. Winslow

Thanks, Dan99, nice to meet you too. Glad that Buddhism has helped you. And glad also that you keep an open mind to the many other religions and philosophies. As the saying goes, the human-mind is like a parachute. Because in order to work, it has to be open.

4. Winslow

Vegetarianism is an important part of Buddhism. So I just went to Walmart on my twice-weekly commutes to buy my canned-carrots. One can of them is enough to satisfy me for an entire supper. Most people might think it's not enough for an entire supper, but if you look at the can's label, it says "three servings." With that in mind, it's enough to satisfy.

5. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

Wow, what a great thread! I can not claim to be a practicing Buddhist, but credit Buddhist philosophy for getting me through some very tough times and helping me change my way of viewing life. I think of the Buddhist sutras as the ultimate self-help guides - there is so much wisdom contained in them as well as practical advice for ways to modify thought patterns. And of course, there are all the moral precepts. Recently I had to abandon most of my belongings; my Buddhist books were among the few things I kept.

Totally agree with you about the wisdom of not focusing on happiness. Another concept I use daily is that of non attachment, which helps me to be more accepting of my feelings and my particular situation. I am just pulling out of a brutal depression that saw me forced to retire and lose my home and pets.

As for vegetarianism - I totally agree and am working towards pursuing this more myself. It is a little more difficult to get a balanced diet if you're dependent on home delivery for food, as I am. It's more expensive and there is less choice. However, I am not happy with myself for continuing to eat meat for so many reasons it could start an entire new forum ranging from compassion for fellow creatures to health benefits to environmental concerns.

6. Winslow

Thank you. Food can be Emotion too, because many people eat candy and pastry to feel a rush or to alleviate loneliness and other feelings. And of course, food can often lead to Gluttony. That's why as a Buddhist, I use hardly any salt and seasoning on my food, if at all. The idea is to eat just for survival but not for Emotions. As a result, this can carry over into my life as a whole, my Emotion-control as a whole.

7. Winslow

In addition to the canned carrots, I am also eating canned spinach twice a week. It's for supper. A bowl of brown rice combined with the canned spinach, and it satisfies. That's for Sunday and Wednesday. And for Monday and Friday, it's the carrots.

8. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

You may find the following of interest:
    Part A – Humankind In Pursuit Of Happiness
    Part B – Laughter And Tears
    Part C – Is Joy More Valuable Than Happiness?
    Part D– Paradise Lost And Regained
    Part E– Ask And It Shall Be Given
    Part F – Dreaming Of A World Without Fear
    Part G – God’s Powers Are In Us
    Part H – Take These Broken Wings

Please allow a moment for the file to load.

With love - Aquarius

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  9. Winslow

Nice one, Aquarius, thanks. Have you also seen the book The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama? Good book about attaining happiness from Buddhist standpoint.

Brian777 likes this.
  10. Aquarius123

No, I haven't seen it and thanks for pointing it out to me. I will have a look at it.

With love - Aquarius

11. Null

Null Well-Known Member

I wish I knew more about Buddhism in general. I'm currently reading "The Places That Scare You" by Pema Chodron.

Brian777 likes this.
  12. Winslow

Sounds good. In addition to that Pema Chodron that
    you mention, I remember seeing another teacher who is both Caucasian and Female but I don't remember her name just now. Are there any Buddhist temples in your area? Anyway, after you finish reading your book, you could maybe write a review of it here.

13. Null

Null Well-Known Member

No thank you. I believe lots of reviews on amazon though.

14. Winslow

The Emotion of Fear is normally seen as a bad emotion. But it's actually useful, because its purpose is to keep us alert to danger. When we use courage, it does not mean elimination of fear but instead the ability to manage fear. So at its root, fear is an essential tool for survival. A necessary emotion.

15. Aquarius123

Have you ever heard of the book ‘Feel the Fear and do it Anyway’ by Susan Jeffers?

The title explains it all.

With love - Aquarius

* * *​

16. Winslow

No, never seen that book, but, thanks, it ties in with what I said. Next to the Emotion of Fear is the Emotion of Worry. I remember reading way back over 30 years ago in Reader's Digest about the necessity of Worry. The only time it's detrimental is when it's excessive. Otherwise, it's a helpful emotion too. I wish I could find that article again.

17. Winslow

You are a success when you give hope to the hopeless, love the unlovable, and are pleasant to the grouch, courteous to the rude.

Brian777 likes this.
  18. Winslow

In a higher state of consciousness, there is no gap between desire and fulfillment. I know it sounds self-contradictory but if you do Zen meditation, you can gradually understand.

19. Winslow

Anger is one letter short of danger.

20. Winslow

Today, while riding the Bus, I noticed another passenger whose bag had several adages printed on its surface. The main one which caught my eye was the adage,"Creativity is maximized by living in the present." Now I don't know whether I agree with that or not, and I'm not even sure as to how living in the present maximizes creativity. Maybe some among you might have an idea. At least I know that creativity is essential because it helps me to solve my problems. And usually those creative-solutions are arrived at when I think somewhat crazily. At least in my case, usually it's craziness which is an integral part of creativity. Logic does not always work, but oftentimes craziness does. And that to me is Creativity.

2 people like this.