ZEN MP3 - please help!

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Zoe, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Got a bit of a favour to ask, I hope someone can help me.

My laptop failed recently and had to be sent back for a new DVD driver to be put in.

My friend lent me their Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB MP3 player to put my music onto so I wouldn't lose it all while my laptop was put back to factory settings.

I can't work out for the life of me how to get the songs back onto my laptop and I have to give the MP3 player back tomorrow.

I've docked it into my laptop and opened Computer C Drive to see the Zen files, all it shows is a few songs that are on the player side of it.

The songs were saved to the hard drive part, which I can't find how to access.

Have fiddled about and pressed all the buttons but no joy at all. :unsure: :blink:

I've got a feeling this is probably quite easy...

Ideas/advice gratefully welcomed!
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Have gone into "my computer" and tried to open up the mp3 player under that? If it shows up you could right click aNd open the files on it.
  3. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Tried it :sad:

In My Computer it shows the Zen, which I opened. But it only shows a few files - the ones that are on the player part, not all the hundreds of files I put on the hard drive part.

I don't know what to press to open the part I need. My friend said they are partitioned (or something) when he lent it to me.

Gah, I hate being crap at computers.

Thank you Kankuro :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

If you could press 'print screen' and upload us a pic of the zen menu to photobucket it might be easier to help you. :)
  5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Good idea Olivia. :biggrin:
  6. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Oh wow :thanks:

Right... I'm on the case :paperbag:
  7. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

This is so weird, I've done Print Screen and Paint a million times and now it's not working. The paste and CTRL-V just doesn't come up :argh:

Looks like I'm destined to lose my musics :blub:
  8. Puppy

Puppy Well-Known Member

I have a creative zen, and when I got it, I had to download something from a CD that came with it onto my computer (kinda like something you use for an ipod - a program that you use to put on and take off files to and from the zen).

I'm no good at explaining things -.-"

But have you been using that?

EDIT: I've just looked on my desktop. The program is called 'Zen Media Explorer'
  9. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Oo, hi puppy :)

No, no disk, my friend didn't give it to me and he didn't mention one.

That said, he's not too up on computers himself. Hmm.
  10. Puppy

Puppy Well-Known Member

Ah, well I think you'll need that. I think it's the only way to sort your files?
  11. Remedy

Ahhh that sucks! :( Maybe see if it works on another page? And then try it on the menu again.
    If not, have you searched every single folder possible? If that doesn't work I'm out of ideas. :dunno:
  12. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Thanks, really appreciate these replies :)

Tried both of those Mel-x, weird eh.

I reckon it's the lack of program Puppy mentions...
  13. Remedy

Maybe you can talk to your friend about it tomorrow and they'll help you. :)
  14. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's how it'll have to be.

Ty again :shake:
  15. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm with my mom's Creative Zen W (as I said, same software, bigger screen) and this is what I do:

Acess My Computer/your mp3 name/Storage Media/Music and copy/paste the songs to my HD. It works and they're all there.

Is there anything you're not doing here? Can you play your songs on the device?

There is one thing I remember from when I used this device, sometimes when you make folders inside the music folder, some of those files may get wiped for some unknown reason. Did you make a separate folder for your stuff or put your songs in the middle of your friend's?

When storing stuff temporarly, it's best to use the "Imported Files" folder. Stuff there are kept as safe as a lock.
  16. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Right, I'm taking all this on board, Ordep!

Am getting tired now, so may be a bit slow!

Thank you kindly :)
  17. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

In Computer\My Zen\Music all that's there are 6 albums, not mine.

There's no options to copy and paste as nothing else shows up.

Opening up any of the Zen folders, none of my stuff is visible.

My friend mentioned it was partitioned off (?) - I don't know...

The stuff I copied over definitely went on there because my PC said there wasn't room for anymore - a lot of my collection had to be left off.

I may be being completely dim here, sorry! :mellow:
  18. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

No problem, if you still can't get it done just say so, I'll see what can be done.

If you did do a sub-folder inside the Music folder, and that sub-folder is no longer there, I do hope you had a backup somewhere of your songs, cause I myself never found a way to get them back :sad:

I have fond memories of my Zen M. It was an amazing piece of hardware for it's time. I think it was the most visually appealing mp3 I had (the W is too bulky because of the screen and my current Archos is all chrome and touch screen thus it's always dirty from fingerprints lol). And it got everyone awestruck in a time when no one else in school had anything above 1GB, let alone 30 of them! Just parted with it when an electrical problem in the building busted its electronics when he was charging, the poor thing :( )

But with the warranty money plus some spare change, I bought the W lol.
  19. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

As I said, unplug the Zen from your computer and turn it on. Are your songs there for playing?

I'm starting to beleive that you did indeed make sub-folder(s) inside the Music folder. Most non-Ipods (who store in a whole different way) have trouble with subfolders inside their music folder, playback and randomizing issues maybe? Even my high tech Archos has that same problem.

One thing, how is the avalaiable memory space in the device? Does it show an avaliable memory that could match the size of the stuff missing? (you mentioned the device was full thus this shouldn't be easy to acess).
  20. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Nope, the songs are not there for playing when it's disconnected.

The storage media says 11.3GB of 27GB free.

I think it's that iPod sub-folder thing that's done it..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.