Zimbabwe

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by possessednomad, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

While the final results in the election are obviously unclear, it looks like the Movement for Democratic Change has secured a majority of seats. what do people think? do you think mugabe will go, try and rig the results, or force a violent conclusion to the election?

do you think other countries did enough to help zimbabwe or that we should have done more?

2. dreamer

dreamer Well-Known Member

I think that Mugabe and his ZanuPF still have major influence in the government despite whatever may happen. Mugabe might step down, hes old anyway but the power of the party will remain. They also control the military and police.

I dont think there is alot other countries could do to help. Its better if they lend their support without actively doing anything. As soon as a stronger western country comes to help the oppositionists, dependency on them becomes too much. With dependency, its difficult for both the west to pull away and the oppositionists to figure things out for themselves.

3. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

I I must add that if the situation in Zimbabwe is related to Sudan ,Ruwanda & Tibet, the West is not in the best position to
    support jackshit.
    1. China is holding the IMF & the WB
    2. US owed China money in 10 digit & still going
    2. Military force is eroded in the middle east
    3. The US don't have any interest in the soil of Zimbabwe
    3. Most Americans & the West do not eat corn,if they do ,only seasonal & they prefer the hybrid corn from Japs
    4. Zimbabwe best interest should be secured by its own people to gain the best result for their own good.If the West get involve ,they will end up in the SF like us. So they are better off without us.:dry:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.