Zoning Out

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Persephone2, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Persephone2

Persephone2 Active Member

I hope this post is in the right place.

What do you do about zoning out when feeling overwhelmed? I suspect this is a similar reaction to wanting to lie in bed or sleep, but the difference is that I'm up, dressed, even sitting with my roommate, watching TV or reading stuff online. I may wake up and think I need to do stuff, but then I just want to sit and zone out. It's like temporally giving up. It's hard to feel hopeful and motivated when I need to be. It's easier to just zone out.
  2. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

I do this all the time. It's great when it help me forgetting about work or loneliness but it's bad when I should be cleaning or exercise.
    Persephone2 likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I think it's a relief mechanism, a time out from stress.
    Not a bad thing unless it's taking over.
    Persephone2 likes this.
  4. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I think it's a 'natural' response to stress as well. Though it's not the most beneficial. It happens to me a lot too. I spend a lot of time in bed...I'll crawl in bed because it helps relieve my back and hip to lie curled up on my side... and eventually I'll zone out and just stay there...

I wish I had some advice, but I'm searching as well. I hope things get better for you!
    Persephone2 likes this.
  5. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I do this too. It's easier to just watch a movie or Youtube videos. What about setting an alarm, like giving yourself a set amount of time to zone out.
    Persephone2 likes this.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think like ThePhantomLady that it is a natural response from stress. I sometimes completely zone out even when talking to someone from anxiety. It's not a bad thing to do, it is a coping mechanism. It is a healthy coping mechanism so keep doing it if it helps!! :)
  7. Persephone2

I think is better than panic, but I wouldn't say it's exactly healthy either
  8. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, when I breakdown I use the elastic band technique to rebuild my confidence. It has helped me to get up and survive my crisis. The sting helps you to remind that life is important.
  9. Persephone2

I've heard mixed thoughts on the rubber band technique. For some people it snaps then out of negative thinking, but for others it can be a trigger to do self harm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.