Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by wheresmysheep, Apr 3, 2009.

1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

anyone had any experience? i'm starting on 10mg :unsure:
  2. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I was on Zyprexa (Olanzapine) for about a year, my dosage fluxuated between 10mg upto 20mg dependant on the severity of my psychosis. I was taken off it and went on to Seroquel (Quetiapine) as I was getting side affects from Zyprexa - weight gain and also my tremor which I get from Lithium got worse.
  3. wheresmysheep

thanks grahamd.
    i think the max dose is 20mg.
    i'll be starting them tonight, and i was warned about they make you hungry and stuff
  4. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

That's where the weight gain comes from :sad:
  5. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I'm on 5mg. It doesn't do much except help me sleep, it's supposed to help me relax a bit and stop thinking about killing myself but it hasn't. I guess I'm unusual in that I haven't experienced weight gain yet, as most people seem to I think.
  6. wheresmysheep

well the weight gain is only because it makes you hungry apparently.
    yeah i was told about the sleepiness side effect, they're trying me on it before trying sleeping tablets as 'you've been not sleeping for this long, you'll be fine for another few weeks' which is fair enough. but see if it actually works...

like the new name :wink: :hug:
  7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Zyprexa is a great medicine! I'm not schizophrenic or so but I really like it... Despite others' experiences (as Zyprexa is called "The big Z", "horrible" etc.), I haven't got any side effects at all! That's probably because I have a low dose, 2.5-5 mg, but it still works for my anxiety!
    I haven't gained any weight either (most people don't believe me when I tell them that, but that's the truth) :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  8. donnie

donnie Member

I was on Olanzapine for about a year, I never put on weight before hand and I ate and ate I was 10.5 stone and time I came off it I was 16 stone. Just couldnt stop eating!
  9. wheresmysheep

i am finding that i have been eating alot since i started these. i dont want to eat but i just eat and eat and eat
  10. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

One way to work against those urges is to buy a lot of celery and fruits. I was concerned about my sugar intake until I started buying fruits and vegetables. I was surprised by how well they replaced the more tasty foods to eat.
  11. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I've been on the 20mg dose for around 15months, it has helped with my anxiety/mood swings but I have put on over 2 stone in weight, my doctor has told me that she intends to bring me off them slowly so I'm hoping the weight goes with them...I miss my 28" waist.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
  12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i was on that and sertraline for 8 months. i gained a lot of weight and had symptoms of diabetes, and still suffered side effects like intolerance to heat- getting heatstroke very easily, in the following 2 years.
  13. wheresmysheep

i've been bumped up to 15mg as of friday coming and i will try to eat fruit when hungry
  14. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Trying to snack healthy is a very good idea. Here is a little tip:
    FROZEN BERRIES. Raspberries, strawberries, blueberries... Almost no calories, and it's very sweet and "satisfying" stuff!