are you new and afraid to speak up?

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
As a person who has had mental ill health for most of my life, I applaud any organisation, campaign or person that may shine the light on issues and stigma. However, from the private messages that I get that are from people who are scared to publicly comment through fear of being told that they are wrong or negative, some are feeling pressure to now speak up every day. For mental health, I agree that speaking up before you become mentally ill is absolutely correct and may be helpful. It is my belief that a point has been missed and that is that seriously mentally ill people require the correct support when speaking up as there can be difficult consequences when speaking to the wrong people. Please do not keep suggesting to people who have severe mental ill health "speak up" because for me, it shows a lack of understanding about the illnesses and can be worse than the stigma that already exists. Please do not pressurise people to speak up when they are not ready to do so and show empathy by listening to what the person wants as it is about them and not your desire to feel good about yourself that you got someone to speak up. Encouragement, Yes, allowing people to NOT speak up, Yes.

TonyNelson

I know it’s called mental illness for a reason, but why does it cloud our judgement at the time and why does it take so long to pick up the pieces afterwards; sometimes it can take a lifetime. Why does it have to be so hard?

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
I know it’s called mental illness for a reason, but why does it cloud our judgement at the time and why does it take so long to pick up the pieces afterwards; sometimes it can take a lifetime. Why does it have to be so hard?
it works in many different ways and effects people in many ways it took me a long time to find the courage to speak up about my health! dont get me wrong just because I champion MH dont mean i dont have my clouded or foggy days i have them more than most i just know that the sun will break through and will shine again!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00