Beta blockers for anxiety?

ravens

SF Supporter
Has anyone had success with these?

I've been thinking about asking my doc about them. I have chronic general anxiety, social anxiety, moderate depression and ADHD. I do not want to mess with SSRIs again and benzos are not a good idea either. I just hate living anxious all the time. feels like hell

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
There were a couple things I took for anxiety that werent benzos. Danged if I can remember the names now.

But yes, there are other things to try. Talk to your doc.

Big hugs.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
My cardiologist already had me on a beta blocker (metoprolol) and my psychiatrist asked him about upping the dosage for its anxiolytic effects, which he did.

Now I’m on a whole bunch of different meds, so it can be hard to tell exactly which one is causing which effects. But, so far as I can tell, it does a solid job of reducing the physiological effects of anxiety (racing heart, shaky hands, etc.). It seems to lessen some of the symptoms of anxiety, while other meds might be better at reducing the anxiety itself, if that makes sense.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I would say yes at least for me, one of the drugs I take for high blood pressure, labetalol is a beta blocker and typically with the combination of amlodipine/benazapril has been relaxed and lacking anxiety.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Hey @ravens , Beta-blockers are quite commonly used for helping to manage anxiety. Although they commonly thought of for dealing with high BP and cardiac issues, they are pretty handy for dealing with anxiety and migraines as well. The most commonly used one is propranolol, it can be pretty good at de-stressing the body and making someone feel less wound up.
At Uni during exam times, it was quite common for the odd student to flip out with stress and often the examiners would be having the odd propranolol tab on standby to dose student with so as to reduce their anxiety.

So it's worth having a chat with your doc to see if it's a suitable option for you.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I could probably use Beta blockers, sometimes when my stress response triggers its fucking insane. My heartrate goes well over 120bpm resting, my blood pressure skyrockets, my chest hurts, I get dizzy, feel sick and shake like a leaf, hell that happened last time I did the dishes.

ravens

SF Supporter
Hey @ravens , Beta-blockers are quite commonly used for helping to manage anxiety. Although they commonly thought of for dealing with high BP and cardiac issues, they are pretty handy for dealing with anxiety and migraines as well. The most commonly used one is propranolol, it can be pretty good at de-stressing the body and making someone feel less wound up.
At Uni during exam times, it was quite common for the odd student to flip out with stress and often the examiners would be having the odd propranolol tab on standby to dose student with so as to reduce their anxiety.

So it's worth having a chat with your doc to see if it's a suitable option for you.

Do most ppl use them daily or as needed? Do they work pretty much immediately that day I guess if ppl use them as needed? Or do they take time to have effects like SSRIs. Thanks for the good info

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Do most ppl use them daily or as needed? Do they work pretty much immediately that day I guess if ppl use them as needed? Or do they take time to have effects like SSRIs. Thanks for the good info
It really depends on an individual's situation. Some may take it on an as when needed basis when confonted with a causative event such as prior to speaking in public for example. Others on the other hand may take it on a more regular basis. Propranolol is the one most commonly used, the dose varying from 40mg daily to three times a day.

Couple things to bear in mind, one being that beta blockers will only address the physical symptoms of anxiety such as increased heart rate, quivering voice/hands, sweating, dizziness. It will not therefore help with the underlying psychological causes of anxiety. Psychotherapy may help you with that. As you mentioned general and social anxiety, I was wondering whether your doctor has discussed trying Pregabalin due to it's anxiolytic effects.
The other point to consider, is that beta-blockers are best used for the management of short term anxiety or for specific events, not really for lonf term management.

One last thing I'd like to draw your attention to, is that if you do start a course of beta-blockers and are on them for regular period of time, if you do wish to stop then it is important to do withdraw treatment in a gradual tapered down manner so as to let your body adjust accordingly.

Still, have a chat with your doctor, outlying your concerns and see where it leads.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
@ravens Didn't they make marijuana legal in Canada recently? Some people have good luck with the CBD part of the plant. You can get it in gummies and oils. Not addictive. THC has been removed. You might want to try it. But do talk to your doc since you are already taking stuff. And it is expensive, at least in the states.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
One issue with CBD oil products, are that there are loads on the market which have undergone varying manufacturing processes. This may effect the amount of cannabidiol available for absorption as well as THC content which will be present in trace amounts. Chances are, for a beneficial effect time may be required for this to take place. As with most meds, response will be on an individual basis.

What I do advise, is that should you or anyone else for that matter wish to try CBD products, then purchase them from a regulated outlet, ie a pharmacy. Bias notwithstanding, but chances are there'll be a greater likelihood of obtaining a far better quality product in terms of manufacturing, quality controls etc.

A word of caution though, I wouldn't recommend taking CBD products if one happens to be on any medication as this can affect the metabolism and so blood levels of certain types of medicines, either increasing or reducing them.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00