Practical Advice Close friend no more

Good Afternoon everyone. I was friends with a female coworker for over 23 years. She helped me with being more social and getting out of my comfort zone. We would hang out when we could and talk all the time. I was single at the time and she was married but separated. One day a mutual friend asked me why me and Jill never hooked up since we hang out all the time. So that Morning we went out for breakfast. I asked about taking our friendship to the next step. She informed me that she didn’t see us being more than friends. We were able maintain our friendship. A few years later, I got another job with the same organization in another office. On my last day at my job with her. I told her it was going to be tough not seeing her everyday anymore and maybe it was for the best that I was leaving because I had developed strong feelings for her. She told me that we shouldn’t be friends anymore. At the time I had been married for two years. I know some of you would say I should have ended my friendship with her once I got married but I saw nothing wrong with it at the time. We were able once again to remain friends threw this also. Flash forward to last year. We talk almost everyday about work, life, relationships, almost everything but we haven’t hang out just us two in a long time. On my part because I know I wanted something romantic to happen with her and I’am a married man. One day on the phone with her, I asked if it was wrong that I wanted to kiss her. She made it seem that I was in a emotional relationship with her. I know I was and so was she, and the same that we shouldn’t be friends any more. That she knew it was wrong talking to a married man about her problems and so forth. We talked a couple of days later and agreed to not talk as much and when we did I wouldn’t be about my marriage or are relationships. It went on like that for awhile. Than it started back to the same thing. Talking pretty much everyday about everything. I realized my marriage was suffering because of it so I slowed down my communication with her. When I did call she sounded happy to here from me and thanked me for calling her. Sometimes she would call just to say hi or to rant or get something off her chest. About two months ago. I called after not speaking for about two weeks. She said how she thought about me all the time and loved me and missed me and right before hanging up the phone told me I love you. I didn’t get a chance to tell her the same but sent her a text I felt the same way. I also texted her that i didn’t think she knew how much she really meant to me. She texted back that her mother used to say if you love someone. You don’t tell them with words you show them with actions!!! I interpreted this as she wanted me to show her my love for her so I sent roses to here Apartment. She called when she received them and asked if I sent them. I told her I did and she asked if I know they were roses, and I said yes. She says roses mean love and I said yes. Then she says she thinks of me as a friend that’s all I’am a married man we can’t continue be as close as we have been, and I’am ok with that. She was going on vacation with her grandkids. And I texted her to wish her a wonderful trip. She texted back as normal. I called before she left to wish her a safe trip, and she sounded angry at me on the phone. I didn’t know what to think? While on vacation. I texted her. Hoping her vacation was going good. She called me immediately. She sounded like the way we used to talk. She sounded happy to here from me and told me all about her vacation, and that we would talk when she got back. On her first day back at work. I texted. Wishing her I good first day back, no response. I tried calling a couple of days later, didn’t pick up the phone. A week later tried called again. No response but she did text that she does feel comfortable talking to me anymore and she’s sorry she didn’t tell me earlier. I don’t know what to do. I know I should just let this relationship go for my marriage, but I miss her. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I know you don't want to hear this. But, let her go. It's better now to do it, than later. If she wants something from you, let her make the first move. Otherwise, you are going to go crazy trying to figure her out. Concentrate on your marriage. That's what you need to do. As I said, if she contacts you. Just keep it cool, unless she makes the first move. Even, if she tells you the "I love you" words over the phone, I would still play it off. It's better to let her chase you, then to chase after her.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I don’t know what to do. I know I should just let this relationship go for my marriage, but I miss her. Thoughts?
I'm sorry, but do you realize you are cheating on your wife? An emotional affair is still cheating, and your wife would not be happy if she found out. I'd advise you to end your marriage if you are looking for an outside relationship like this, or get couples counselling fast.

Lara C you are 100% correct. I want to stay married. This has being going on for so long just tough not having her in my life anymore. But I know it’s for the best and I’am guessing she knows also. Sometimes we need I smack in the head to realize what we know should be done. In truth I should have ended are friendship when I got married!!!

Last edited:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I think you need to ask yourself why you strayed in the first place -what is missing in your relationship with your wife- because if you don't address that, you are in danger of doing it again, and risking your marriage. Personally, I'd not stay with my partner if I caught him cheating, but if he told me of his own volition, I'd insist on couples counselling and individual counselling for him. This kind of secret is not a good basis for long term marital happiness, so consider carefully if you should admit your affair to your wife.

I think you need to ask yourself why you strayed in the first place -what is missing in your relationship with your wife- because if you don't address that, you are in danger of doing it again, and risking your marriage. Personally, I'd not stay with my partner if I caught him cheating, but if he told me of his own volition, I'd insist on couples counselling and individual counselling for him. This kind of secret is not a good basis for long term marital happiness, so consider carefully if you should admit your affair to your wife.
Lara C my wife knows this woman. She been to my home. My wife saw A text one time between me and my friend, and informed me and her if we were more than just friends. Also spoke to my friend individually. My wife knew we were close and one of my wife’s fears, Is that I would leave her for my friend. For the record my wife had done things in the marriage also. Marriage is tough it’s a work in progress. We’ve gone to counseling in the past. Believe it or not I’am trying to be a better husband also. I now know I have to let my friend go!!!

Last edited:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yes, I agree if you want your marriage to work, you need to go completely no contact with this other woman. If you can't do that, you need to be honest with your wife and give her the option of leaving. Marriage is hard work, but cheating is a definite no- no imo. If there's problems in the marriage, either end it or get couples therapy, but don't look for what is missing outside the marriage.

Last edited:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I don't mean to sound harsh, btw, but since you are on a suicide forum, I take it that you are not happy in your marriage and therefore with the thought of letting your affair partner go?

This definitely sounds like an emotional affair to me rather than casual flirtation or just a friendship with a member of the opposite sex. I do understand that you can be happily married and still want some kind of interaction, even flirtation, with the opposite sex... but this has gone way beyond that. I don't see how you can salvage the friendship. Good luck to you with your marriage counselling.

I don't mean to sound harsh, btw, but since you are on a suicide forum, I take it that you are not happy in your marriage and therefore with the thought of letting your affair partner go?
True be told, I’am not happy with life. I have been working on my marriage. I also believe things happen for a reason. Maybe it was time for this friendship, emotional affair to end, and deep down I knew it. Before this whole episode happened I slowed down contact with her. Also we would go out every so often, but the last time we went out was at least 5-6 years ago. Even when she wanted to get together I refused or chickened out the last minute. I’am trying in my marriage and at life if not I wouldn’t be here right now! Also the last time she texted me saying she felt uncomfortable talking to me. I felt angry and mad. Saying to myself we’ve been friends for so long how could she not want to work something out. Not to the way we were, but at least be civil towards each other. But over these last two weeks I think about her less and less. It was time to end it call it fate.

Last edited:

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Have you considered individual therapy for yourself before asking your wife to go to couples therapy with you. It sounds like there are issues which individual therapy might help to clarify and process. Also, it might be a good idea to tell your doctor in case you are suffering from clinical depression as a course of antidepressants can really help to get you out of a rut and help you to fix your marital and other problems. It seems to me that you need someone to talk to and that is why you're finding letting go of your friend so difficult.

Have you considered individual therapy for yourself before asking your wife to go to couples therapy with you. It sounds like there are issues which individual therapy might help to clarify and process. Also, it might be a good idea to tell your doctor in case you are suffering from clinical depression as a course of antidepressants can really help to get you out of a rut and help you to fix your marital and other problems. It seems to me that you need someone to talk to and that is why you're finding letting go of your friend so difficult.
Thank You for your reply’s. I’ve been in and out of therapy and taking medication for the last 20 years. Maybe I haven’t found the correct therapist or medication yet as I’am not seeing anyone right now and not taking medication. Considering how bad I’ve been feeling lately. I’am looking for therapists now.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Good on you for taking charge of your health. As you probably know there are lots of different therapies and meds and as everyone is different, it can take a while to get the right combination. Keep coming to SF as well as peer support can help a lot.

Psychology Today has a list of therapy types, and also a list of accredited therapists by state . I find it a very good source of articles for anything psychological https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/types-of-therapy

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00