• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Cognitive difficulties

Angie

Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#1
I feel... strange. My return to college studies has proven both exciting and concerning. Exciting because I am learning once again and concerning because I am experienced cognitive difficulties that I've not had before.

Its like my brain is on a leash, and as I try to think, I keep getting jerked up short.

Anybody know if Abilify can cause this? Or LIthium?

tagging a couple people that might know @Ash600 @Butterfly would appreciate any responses though.

Thanks for reading.
 

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
#2
There's a possibility that it could be due to Lithium. With long term use it may impact upon memory and cognitive function. As a side note, side effects are usually related to serum lithium concentrations and are less common in patients with plasma concentrations below 1mmol/L.

But look, you've said you've just made a return to college studies. For how long a break that has been I do not know. It's possible that by exposing yourself to an environment with that level of intensity of learning may require a period of acclimatisation. So it may well be cause and association rather than cause and effect (drug induced) particularly if what you've been experiencing happens to be restricted to just your studies.

Won't hurt however to keep a diary and so maintain a log of when you encounter such cognitive difficulties be it studies or elsewhere and then maybe discuss this with your doctor.
 

Angie

Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#3
Thank you @Ash600 for your kind and common sense reply!

It has been 8 years since I was last at college. Lotta miles on me since then, too. Maybe I am looking for zebras when I should be looking for horses.

Its only been two weeks since college began and to be fair, some of my 20 year old classmates are struggling as well.

I see my psychiatrist end of the month for my regular refill visit, will see how I am doing by then.

Thank you!
 

Citizen Insane

Emote Encyclopedia
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
#4
Hey @Angie I'm still using Abilify in 2024 :) It's the best combination for me of little to super mild side effects and it's effect versus psychosis and its symptoms.

I was on Abilify - 30 mg (as anti-psychotic) for 10 years, it affected cognitive functioning for me as I noticed a major significant positive change when it was reduced to 15 mg in accordance with my psychiatrist.

The most interesting change, besides being able to have more focus (reading books, processing new information) and less emotional numbness, is that my ways of finding to cope with the emotional changes was going much better at a lower dosage. I'd say that coping with mental health goes hand in hand with cognitive functioning.

Sample size = 1, of course, as I'm just one person with this experience. Reason there were talks of reducing it was because of being more stabilized with regards to life & mental health. Having had no psychotic episode since late 2010 has made the 30 mg Abillify obsolete, so I'm at a maintenance dosage now of 15 mg (could be lower, in accordance with psychiatrist and with proper monitoring).

Keep us up to date! :) I'll watch the thread!
 

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#5
I think meds can cause cognitive slowness but I also think it can be a symptom of depression and other mental health problems. To be honest I notice it more when I am more mentally stable.
 

Angie

Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#6
Hey @Angie I'm still using Abilify in 2024 :) It's the best combination for me of little to super mild side effects and it's effect versus psychosis and its symptoms.

I was on Abilify - 30 mg (as anti-psychotic) for 10 years, it affected cognitive functioning for me as I noticed a major significant positive change when it was reduced to 15 mg in accordance with my psychiatrist.

The most interesting change, besides being able to have more focus (reading books, processing new information) and less emotional numbness, is that my ways of finding to cope with the emotional changes was going much better at a lower dosage. I'd say that coping with mental health goes hand in hand with cognitive functioning.

Sample size = 1, of course, as I'm just one person with this experience. Reason there were talks of reducing it was because of being more stabilized with regards to life & mental health. Having had no psychotic episode since late 2010 has made the 30 mg Abillify obsolete, so I'm at a maintenance dosage now of 15 mg (could be lower, in accordance with psychiatrist and with proper monitoring).

Keep us up to date! :) I'll watch the thread!
Thank you Ken bear!
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top