Practical Advice Dentures

Fleury Dragon

Rawr 🐲
Chat Pro
SF Supporter
So I got my dentures yesterday.
Really need some advice around a few things.
Put them in this morning and within 30 minutes I've almost thrown up 3 times. Can't imagine this getting any better. If someone can give advice it would be helpful.
Finding that I'm more ok with them in so long as I don't totally close my mouth. Is this weird?
Also for those who have dentures I'm wondering do you have issues wearing them when you have a cold or post nasal drip.

Appreciate any response and ideas thanks.
Sorry if not clear enough feel free to ask me questions. Little anxious today.

So I got my dentures yesterday.
Really need some advice around a few things.
Put them in this morning and within 30 minutes I've almost thrown up 3 times. Can't imagine this getting any better. If someone can give advice it would be helpful.
Finding that I'm more ok with them in so long as I don't totally close my mouth. Is this weird?
Also for those who have dentures I'm wondering do you have issues wearing them when you have a cold or post nasal drip.

Appreciate any response and ideas thanks.
Sorry if not clear enough feel free to ask me questions. Little anxious today.
It sounds like they are not fitted correctly and may be touching your gag reflex. I would let the dentist know asap

"Rinse dentures thoroughly before putting them back in your mouth, especially if using a denture-soaking solution. These solutions can contain harmful chemicals that cause vomiting, pain or burns if swallowed."
https://www.mayoclinic.org/denture-care/expert-answers/faq-20058375

I don't think chemicals on the dentures are likely the problem, but giving them a good rinsing probably wouldn't hurt.

I'm inferring from a post I saw on a forum that gagging is a not uncommon problem with dentures. Also inferring that it could be an issue with:

1 Fit or retention
2 It may be too far back on your soft palate
3 If you have a general problem with gagging easily, that could be a factor

The forum that I saw this on is not for general dental issues, but for people who have a fear of dentistry. It's just what came up when I searched. I'm including a link with that warning:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/threads/help-with-dentures-making-me-gag.14743/

I think typically the solution to this is to have the fit checked by a dentist, get some other form of dental remedy, or take drugs to keep you from vomiting.

Livelife

SF Supporter
IF you haven't had teeth for awhile and are now trying to have both dentures taking up space in your mouth it's quite an adjustment. Have you tried just having the upper or lower plate in? You have to give your mouth and body time to accept. I'm surprised the dentist didn't give you some direction on this. Did you call and let them know what was happening?
Did you wear them yesterday and do ok and then today the issue showed up? Or did you start wearing them this morning?
And am I understanding that you have a cold right now? If there's mucus and sinus drainage that could be having quite the impact.
And alot more saliva is probably being created with what the body is perceiving as foreign objects for right now, so production being stimulated with the new pieces.
Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

Fleury Dragon

Rawr 🐲
Chat Pro
SF Supporter
@Livelife
I started wearing them yesterday and had issues then. Yesterday started with wearing just the top, then added the bottom for a bit. Yes it's quite a mouthful.
In the evening I took out the top and just wore the bottom for a while. The bottom seems less of an issue.
I dont have a cold but do have constant post nasal drip caused by allergies they can't seem to treat.
Yes definitely more saliva.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00