• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Food and me

Angie

Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#1
I am so frustrated with my relationship with food.

I bet I've had 3k cals today so far and I just realized I didn't enjoy any of it.

I watched people at the Labor Day cookout. They seemed to be enjoying their meal. I just ate quickly and left.

The hunger I have seems bottomless lately. I hate myself for it.

Don't know if anyone can relate or not.
 

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
#3
I am so frustrated with my relationship with food.

I bet I've had 3k cals today so far and I just realized I didn't enjoy any of it.

I watched people at the Labor Day cookout. They seemed to be enjoying their meal. I just ate quickly and left.

The hunger I have seems bottomless lately. I hate myself for it.

Don't know if anyone can relate or not.
I totally get it Angie. My relationship with food has destroyed my life. All I think about is eating, even when there is no enjoyment. And it may just wind up killing me too. Don't know why I developed such a horrible relationship. To fill some kind of gap I guess.
 

Lady Wolfshead

wishes you well
#4
I can relate. I've eaten from stress, anxiety, fatigue, boredom, loneliness - it all seems to create hunger in me. I'm losing weight but SO slowly and I often feel hungry in the evenings when I don't allow myself to snack. My husband eats chips and chocolate (he's skinny) and he asks if it's okay and of course I say "yes" because I have to be able to resist temptation. He needs the calories. But it's hard as he munches on snack after snack.

I was skinny enough to get teased about it as a child - and we didn't have enough food due to poverty. I think it's part of the reason food has such a hold on me now.

It has hurt my health and looks. I hope I can at least get my health back.

To be fair to all of us here: Depression and anxiety can cause either over or under-eating. Also I've read a lot of articles about food and these days many foods are "hyper-palatable" and extremely high in calories. I ate a brownie once that came in a small cup, and then realized the nutritional information was for HALF of the brownie. Ugh.
 

Lady Wolfshead

wishes you well
#9
I was thinking about comforting things other than food. I do find hot drinks very comforting and I don't have sugar in them, just milk sometimes.

I've actually read that many women mistake thirst for hunger. Sounds ridiculous but it's possible I guess. Many Asian women I've known drink hot water instead of cold water and it's supposed to be better for you.
 
#10
I am so frustrated with my relationship with food.

I bet I've had 3k cals today so far and I just realized I didn't enjoy any of it.

I watched people at the Labor Day cookout. They seemed to be enjoying their meal. I just ate quickly and left.

The hunger I have seems bottomless lately. I hate myself for it.

Don't know if anyone can relate or not.
A good way to keep hunger at bay is to drink plenty of water until your stomach feels full. Another way is to eat shelled hemp, or hemp hearts with a small amount of food. The hemp absorbs a lot of water and expands in your stomach making you feel full. It is also incredibly nutritious.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#11
I’m also struggling with my weight. I’m a severe sugar addict. I don’t eat too much otherwise, but if it’s full of sugar then I would rather eat it than have regular food. There have been some days when I eat cereal for breakfast and a lot of cookies for lunch and dinner.

My eating patterns are dysregulated, meaning that I don’t have a routine for food, I just eat when I can. Apparently that’s too much. Or I need to eat apples instead of cookies. I’m going to find out; I had 2 apples today.

I’m obese but I’m trying to lose weight by gradually cutting down sugar and eating more fruit and vegetables instead. I’m going sideways on the scale, but hey at least I’m not gaining. I hate my fat friggin body. I’m trying to do my best every day, and all I do is stay at the same weight.
 

Angie

Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#12
I’m also struggling with my weight. I’m a severe sugar addict. I don’t eat too much otherwise, but if it’s full of sugar then I would rather eat it than have regular food. There have been some days when I eat cereal for breakfast and a lot of cookies for lunch and dinner.

My eating patterns are dysregulated, meaning that I don’t have a routine for food, I just eat when I can. Apparently that’s too much. Or I need to eat apples instead of cookies. I’m going to find out; I had 2 apples today.

I’m obese but I’m trying to lose weight by gradually cutting down sugar and eating more fruit and vegetables instead. I’m going sideways on the scale, but hey at least I’m not gaining. I hate my fat friggin body. I’m trying to do my best every day, and all I do is stay at the same weight.
The struggle is real.
Thank you Jack, I hope the apples work.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#13
Well not quite yet. I still woke up middle of the night and ate about 1k calories. Still feeling hungry. I would like to know what is wrong with me. 😔
 

Angie

Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#14
Well not quite yet. I still woke up middle of the night and ate about 1k calories. Still feeling hungry. I would like to know what is wrong with me. 😔
do you think our ability to feel hungry is messed up somehow?
I've read some things that say that obesity actually causes people to crave a lot of calories...
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#15
I definitely feel like my hunger is more than it should be. I’m not a binge eater; I don’t like the feeling of being too full. That said, when something is full of sugar or other junk, it’s easy to take in massive calories without feeling full.

The example that brought this home for me is to consider how full would I be after 500 calories of turkey vs. 500 calories of Mountain Dew. With the turkey I would be full for hours, but I still go with the soda given the choice. I get cravings for sugar, and not protein.
 
#16
From what I understand, the human body is a weight-gaining machine designed by evolution to withstand periods of hunger. It's too bad there isn't some kind of shut off. Also, I've noticed that I tend to crave food if I'm not eating enough to maintain my weight, even though I'm overweight. My body does not seem to like to lose weight, even though the excess weight is a burden. I mentally reassure myself that I can lose many pounds and will still have "extra" compared to how skinny I used to be as a teenager. I am 5'7" and when I graduated from high school I weighed 105 pounds. I want to get back down to 160 which is reasonable for my height.
 

Just_a_guy

Well-Known Member
#17
I have those kinds of days too. For me it seems to be general boredom mixed with stress and maybe something that breaks my normal daily rythm. When im busy and i have interesting stuff to do its a whole other story!

Also, ive found tgat i tend to eat more, bigger portions, if im tired and didnt sleep well for any reason.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top