• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Ideas & Opinions How Long Should You Be on Medication?

Tor

SF Author
SF Supporter
#1
My doctor diagnosed me with GAD almost 10 years ago, and has prescribed medication on and off over the years. I’ve been on my current doses for 2 years, and each time I go for refills, my doctor seems hesitant to keep up the scripts.

I know how meds change brain chemistry, but that’s what some of us need. It’s not like I want to be at the mercy of meds for the rest of my life, but I do prefer being able to live now as opposed to the anxiety and depression induced struggles of the past.
 
#2
my doctor seems hesitant to keep up the scripts.
I think the problem is that anti-anxiety drugs are generally very addictive.

There are some other non-addictive ways you could try to treat anxiety. If they worked for you, you might be able to decrease your medication under the supervision of your doctor.
 

Tor

SF Author
SF Supporter
#3
I think the problem is that anti-anxiety drugs are generally very addictive.

There are some other non-addictive ways you could try to treat anxiety. If they worked for you, you might be able to decrease your medication under the supervision of your doctor.
That’s understandable. I guess I might have been subconscious ignoring that fact for some reason. Maybe I’ve become too dependent on them physically and psychologically.

The funny thing is, I had the script for 1 year without filling it bc I was hesitant to take the meds. Now I’m afraid to stop. Perhaps it’s time to ask my doctor to help me wean myself off of the meds.

Thanks for the advice, May
 

Angie

Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#5
Just be careful. Stopping meds suddenly is dangerous.

Some folks may take meds their whole lives, others for short periods. It all depends on what the problem is.

I have bipolar disorder which is a chemical imbalance and will probably be on meds indefinitely.

Take care.
 

Tor

SF Author
SF Supporter
#6
This is a great answer. Thanks @Angie

I think in my case, I need another diagnosis before I make any decisions. I don’t like being on meds, but they help, as I’ve always had a chemical imbalance that is worse when off meds. What I mean though, is that I’ve been diagnosed with GAD and major depression, but suspect borderline or bipolar to be present. I can self-diagnose, but I can’t deny that there’s more to this.

I didn’t have my meds for about 2 weeks, and the effects were horrible, so I won’t be stopping cold turkey.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top